My Sad Betta

Guest Halloween

Guest Halloween

Well, since Johnny died I got another one. This Betta has some meat on him, and he has a nice solid healthy color to him. I've noticed though that he isn't eating... He just sort of swims around in a daze. It doesn't look like he's having any trouble breathing or anything he just seems... Depressed... I'm about to try a sinking food for him (I've been offering only flake food) to see if maybe he will eat that.. Maybe that's all he was fed in the store and he just doesn't understand that floating flake food is actually food....

Kissy is correct. Bettas often will refuse food even up to a week when you first get them. I will tell you the advice that Mr. Bumblebee gave me when I had one a couple years ago who would not eat after I got him. He told me to feed him a small amount at the same time everyday and whatever he did not eat in a few mintues to remove the uneaten food and not feed him again till the next day ( feeding time). only feed him one type of food while you are doing this. Mr.B was right after a couple days of this he got the idea and started eating when he was fed.

Guest Halloween

Thank you for all the comments. I think I MAY have figured out what was wrong. Along with some gravel and a nice clean home I bought a little zen tower for him, really cute!!! Well, today I took his home and was going to clean it all out and see if that might help him. I took the tower out and right away I could smell it. Paint thinner. I took a wiff of the tower and boy was that strong! It's the paint who makes these fish items use! It smells very strongly of paint thinner and it's happened before with a larger item I bought once for my goldfish!! They just started to lay at the bottom and not do anything (the Betta was hanging at the top and not moving) So I tossed the zen tower aside and gave the poor Betta a 100% water change and he's already acting healthier... The only sad part is, now he has a spot of fungus? on his tail. It's light grey in color and only near the end of his tail... It's sparse but it's there. I added some Maroxy to his water.. Is this a good treatment?

Good I am glad you figure out what was going on. sorry about the fungus. I am glad you caught it early and are treating it. fungus untereated can kill a betta very quickly. I am not familar with the med you mentioned. I have use fungus cure by Jungle before

Thank you for all the comments. I think I MAY have figured out what was wrong. Along with some gravel and a nice clean home I bought a little zen tower for him, really cute!!! Well, today I took his home and was going to clean it all out and see if that might help him. I took the tower out and right away I could smell it. Paint thinner. I took a wiff of the tower and boy was that strong! It's the paint who makes these fish items use! It smells very strongly of paint thinner and it's happened before with a larger item I bought once for my goldfish!! They just started to lay at the bottom and not do anything (the Betta was hanging at the top and not moving) So I tossed the zen tower aside and gave the poor Betta a 100% water change and he's already acting healthier... The only sad part is, now he has a spot of fungus? on his tail. It's light grey in color and only near the end of his tail... It's sparse but it's there. I added some Maroxy to his water.. Is this a good treatment?

I am so happy that you figured out what was wrong! I am still pleading for a pic here!!!! :)

Guest Halloween

He's worse today, the fungus or bacterial infection is spreading. I found some Fungus clear and added that in but I'm going out to get Maracyn 2 right now... This fuzzy looking stuff isn't growing on his face or gills, does he still have a chance for survival??? Plus none of the areas this stuff IS covering is losing color (does that mean the tissue is not dead??)

I got a pic of him last night I'll put on here when I get back from the store :) Since he's feeling under the weather they are not the greatest pics.

Edited by Halloween

Guest Halloween

Well, he did too. I don't think it was from the fungus stuff either. I had put in some Fungus Clear but when I opened the package it was a strange color and it was crumbly... So I think I may have killed him :( Here's a pic anyway, just to show what he looked like.

Jason.jpg

You can see some of the fungus stuff on his antenna-fin (sorry I don't know ANY of the Betta fin names).

Jason2.jpg

He had some of that stuff on his tail too... Poor boy.