Frustrated With Used Equipment

I'm beginning to get really frustrated with buying used tanks, filters, lights etc..... The tank I just bought off of Craigslist yesterday has A LOT of black gravel in the bottom and it SMELLS really bad. On top of that the tank has a bazillion small snails, which means that I probably have to throw out the gravel, or pick through it for live snails (hopefully they won't eat the plants I want to put in the tank)..... The gravel is so smelly, it smells like nobody ever cleaned it, and boy is it deep! Agh!

Part of this is my fault for buying it sight unseen. Never again! Hopefully the dang thing holds water. We shall see this evening when I clean and fill. :blink:

Wash the gravel really well and boil it out. 10 minutes at a rolling boil will kill just about any parasites, snail, bacteria or virus that is hiding in there. Then with PP or bleach, you can clean just about everything else....

Used stuff usually involves a fair amount of elbow grease to get it up and running nicely - but once you do - it can be wonderful. Ijust keep reminding myself how much money I saved - or the fact that I simply would not HAVe a tank if I had not found it used....

:)

I would like to say YES. And, technically, it is supposed to - particularly at the PP strength that you would use to disinfect a tank.

BUT..... I have recently had an invasion of pest snails that I swear are inpervious to EVERYTHING, short of being squashed and/or boiled. NOTHING seems to slow them down. They survive high levels of salt, PP and even bleach. Gack!!! The snails from the Green Planet that would not DIE!

:blink:;)

I took all the gravel out of the aquarium and about a million snails too. I washed it and laid it out in the shed to dry out. The snails will be history and I won't use the gravel on tanks, just in the garden, maybe at the base of my bonsai.

The tank cleaned up rather well. I need new glass tops as I don't prefer the hood, but that isn't important right now. The tank holds water and I'm glad about that. I'll get new gravel soon. :)

Gotta love Craigslist. $200, 300 mile road trip and I have my 75 gallon with canopy, stand, Fluval 404, big old rocks, lights..the lights were history, the Fluval (no impeller, clamp broken, well you get the idea)..Still, it was a bargain, we got out of town for the day and it doesn't leak. The stand was repairable and I learned to ask questions. I'm happy overall. Of course after we got home I found a 90 gallon with all that for $300 locally and delivered. Such is life :)

Carli