What Got You Hooked?

Bubbles

What got you hooked? What started this never ending obsession?

I know for me, as a kid at pet stores, I would stare mesmorized at them.. the colours.. the "big brains on their heads!".. the way they moved about, and how many different types there where! I never got any goldfish as a kid, but favourite part of the trip to the pet store, always was to go watch them swim about in their tanks.

One day, back when I was about thirteen.. so maybe five years or so ago now, my cousin bought three goldfish and placed them all into a two gallon fish tank without a filter. Two died, and one little red cap oranda, "Fetcher", still lived. I came here for my first time and learned everything there was to know, including that they need around 10 gallons each! And a filter. No wonder they where dying. My cousin told me she didnt want it anymore and she wasnt about to go out and get a bigger tank just for it... so I did. If I remember correctly, I had enough money saved up for the 10 gallon tank that came with everything I needed. After it was set up and everything was running smoothly (or so I thought..) , I walked over to my cousins house, scooped him into a big, and walked him back to his new home. I thought I was saving him, and it felt like I was doing something great. He was adorable! And he lived happily for a week or two, untill he got ich, which I tried to treat, but failed. He died sometime that September. I even cried. I hadnt known about letting the tank cycle. He would have died a lot faster in her two gallon, Im sure though, that was also brand new. So I just like to think he was happier with more space at least. I will never forget little Fetcher, the one who started it all.

I have always been fascinated with fish, ever since I was a little girl. When my parents' friends would ask me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I always said I wanted to be a marine biologist. They would laugh and gasp that a 6-yr-old knew such big words. We used to go to Florida every summer when I was little and my dad would have to stay out in the ocean with me all day until late in the evening as I would not want to get out of the water. I have always loved the ocean and the animals that live in it. My love of water has always been with me, ever since my first bath! LOL! My favorite shows are anything to do with ocean animals, LOVE SHARK WEEK on Discovery channel! I have always loved fish and sharks, dolphins, whales, you name it! If it swims, I am obsessed with it!

One year, when I was six, we took our summer trip to Florida. My dad and I were in the ocean, swimming and playing around, when a sand shark showed up. I'm not really sure what kind it was, but it was about 3 ft. long. My dad didn't really panick, but said we needed to paddle our floats we were on closer to shore. I BEGGED him to please let me stay out where the shark was so I could see it better. He relented, and I put my swim goggles on and peered down at it in the water from my float. It was the most amazing animal I had ever seen. I guess that really started my love of aquatic animals...

That's a sweet story, Bubbles... :heart And it sounds like so many of us have started a similar way.

For me, I just had killed a whole 10 gl tank full of Dalmatian mollies due to not knowing that you need to temperature match the water, and I wanted something else for this tank. My daughter and I got into the pet store, and all the tropicals looked so much alike. EXCEPT for that one tank with bigger fish in it, and funky things growing on their heads. The store employee told me that those are "just" goldfish, but I fell in love with them anyway. We came home with a redcap and a red/white oranda, and the redcap, which we named Dotti, lived with us for quite a long time.

Don't know exactly what happened between those first two fish and the fish I have now. Maybe I just refuse to remember... :D

I got my very first GF as a freebie give-away at a K-mart grand opening. I was 5yrs old. He was a baby comet about an inch long. My dad bought him a 10g tank with an under-gravel filter and he lived in that for about a year before he out grew it. We learned more about GF and found out that he needed alot more space so my dad and I built him a little pond about 100gs and we got him a buddy. We put them in the pond at the beginning of fall that year and by spring two fish turned into 200 LOL. Since I missed having a fish in the house my dad got me a 55g tank and I got my first fancy GFs Wubbles and Poops. (don't laugh I was six) Wubbles was an oranda and Poops was a ryukin. They came from a pet store and were very sick even though we didn't know it. They suffered for a while in our ignorance and then they died :cry1 I was so upset by it that my dad went out and got me some more and then they died. My dad got tired of pet store fish croaking on us so he found a reputable breeder and had some fish imported for me. The guy we bought them from educated us on how to properly care for them and these lived for many many years. Fish keeping has always been something me and my dad had to share. Which is funny in a way because my dad doesn't really like fish at all. He just wanted to make me happy. :)

I've loved fish and whales all my life. Then not even 2 years ago my brother and I got the choice between each getting a new kitten or we could each get a small fishtank or 1 slightly bigger fishtank. We decided to get the fishtanks cause it was something new. All my first fish died except Stripe, my brother still has all his (amazing that they all survived the ammonia and everything, we used to clean the tanks only every 3 weeks or so). Then I thought it would be nice to also have more different kinds of fish, and sometime last year in winter, my brother had a hockey game and one of his little friends was with us. Anyway, they really wanted to go to wallyworld and my mom did too, so while they were doing their stuff I went to look at the fish and fell in love with the goldfish with their pretty long flowing fins. So when my mom came by I asked her if I could get a goldfish since all they need is a little bowl and a waterchange once a week :wa . So I got Cinnamon my very first goldie and kept him in a 1 gallon bowl. After a week I strated thinking that how could a creature that gets so big (yes I knew that they got big, but thought it would be fine :wa:wa:wa ) live happily in such a small space. Then when he started getting sick and then broke his jaw I got a 5 gallon for christmas and put him in there. I noticed that he had long stringy poops all the time and the jaw problem so I looked it up on the internet and found kokos. Then they told me I needed a bigger tank and moved him to my empty 46 gallon, and thats how I got my first goldfish tank (which was actually a crab tank before).

Got my first goldfish from the state fair as a prize. Added it to my tropical tank and been hooked every since. It was years later and this forum before I learned how to really take care of them.

I used to go to my Aunty's house and admire her fish tank. When I was 10 she asked if I wanted her tank as she no longer wanted to keep fish. My mum agreed. It was a 10 gallon stuffed with 5 fancy goldfish, but they were all over 3-4 years old! After a couple had passed away, I bought a new fish which I had for 10 years and she eventually ended up in a 40 gallon when I found out what they needed to live. Sadly I had to have her put to sleep in 2006.

I have learnt over the years what fish need, and now have a 68 gallon.

Awsome stories! I dont feel so totally bad about messing up in the beginning now.. Im sure we all have to start somewhere.. wouldnt it be nice if all pet stores properly educated you on it? I glad I found koko's or I would be so lost!

I have always been fascinated with fish, ever since I was a little girl. When my parents' friends would ask me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I always said I wanted to be a marine biologist. They would laugh and gasp that a 6-yr-old knew such big words. We used to go to Florida every summer when I was little and my dad would have to stay out in the ocean with me all day until late in the evening as I would not want to get out of the water. I have always loved the ocean and the animals that live in it. My love of water has always been with me, ever since my first bath! LOL! My favorite shows are anything to do with ocean animals, LOVE SHARK WEEK on Discovery channel! I have always loved fish and sharks, dolphins, whales, you name it! If it swims, I am obsessed with it!

One year, when I was six, we took our summer trip to Florida. My dad and I were in the ocean, swimming and playing around, when a sand shark showed up. I'm not really sure what kind it was, but it was about 3 ft. long. My dad didn't really panick, but said we needed to paddle our floats we were on closer to shore. I BEGGED him to please let me stay out where the shark was so I could see it better. He relented, and I put my swim goggles on and peered down at it in the water from my float. It was the most amazing animal I had ever seen. I guess that really started my love of aquatic animals...

Oh, I have always loved ocean life! My cousin and I would go to the beach, and when the tide was out we would collect mini crabs from under the rocks and make little bucket houses for them.. of course we would release them at the end of the day and never kept them in the sun haa. We also would go under the dock when the tide was out and look at all the big purple starfish, and we would protect them from the kids who threw rocks at them and tried to kill them. One time there was one huge orange starfish (about two feet in diameter) that got washed ashore, and kids where trying to kill it with rocks.. so my cousin and I *rescused* it and carried it out to deep water. Ive always been highly fasinated by sea life.. I wish we had sharks out here! We have seals and sea lions and orcas though, but I havent been lucky enough to see an orca. But at the aquarium here, we have them and dolphins and sharks and sooo many other things, which I have ALWAYS looooved going to see. I havent been in a while, but I think it would be worth it to go again sometime.

I love everything that moves, always have (thus my developing carrer as a biologist!) and my first pets, aside from family dogs, were common goldies when I was about 7. They lived a long time, despite mine and my mom's lack of knowledge. I kept fish on and off for years after that and then really got into goldies again about 6 years ago. I had given my sister an old 10 gallon tank I had when she moved out, and she put about 5 fancy goldfish in it :blink:

At the time I didn't really know the difference about that being too many fish either, but I moved in with her a little while later and took over care of the tank. By then I was in university getting my biology degree and knew quite a lot more. I managed to upgrade her tank and save 2 of the fish (the other 3 died pretty rapidly of sbd). Big George, the guy in my avatar, actually lasted with us for about 5 years. Since I took over caring for her goldies I've gone through about 3 tank upgrades and have learned SO much, mostly from this site!! I just love the challange and beauty of goldies, I think I'll always have them :heart

Chrissy

Well, when I was little I loved to go to the store and try to net all the fish. My mom and I bought a red cap oranda which I named Melissa for my preschool class. I got my first goldfish when I was 8. I won 5 of them at a Fun Fair at school. My dad got mad and threatened to let them go in the lake, but my mom let me keep them. I put them all in a fish bowl. They only lasted a few days.

When I was ten my mom bought me a fish tank for my birthday. I begged her for a black moor and a bubble eye, but instead she filled it with tropicals.

3 years ago I bought my sister a 5 gal and a black moor and a telescope for Christmas, both fish died by the end of the week.

After a house fire in 2003, the 20 gal that my mom had upgraded to was free. Last year I found out what day nnnnnn got in their shipment and begged my sister to take me. I called my mom at the store while I was walking out of the store with my first 3 goldfish and asked her if I could get fish. :) That night I found Koko's.

I remember I was helping my unce at an auction and he let me choose one thing and he wil bid on it for me, and I saw the aquarium! He bid on it for 30 bucks and won it! It came with everything, and I came to replace the major stuff. Anyways, while I had an empty tank in my room withing to affort a new filter I was researching fish to get and I dont remember how I stumbled across the goldfish. I think it was when I went to Wallyworld and looked at their fish... I fell in love I guess.

Chickey got me into fish! They are such sweet gentle little pets. They have their own personalities and quirks! I love watching them. It makes me happy to know that they are thriving because of my care. I don't mind any of the work I have to do for them. :heart:heart

when i was little i had a 30gallon with 4 fancy tailed goldies i was so intrigued by how they swam and lived in water and their fins and colours were hypnotic. i remember i used to name the fish after my family members lol. so this year i missed the easter show and because of that dad said i could get wwhat ever i wanted so i chose fish and they are just the best

When I was like 10 years old, my little brother and I saw a bunch of goldfish at the "Feed Supply" store where we would get stuff for our pony. We bought A LOT of those fish at once and put them in a 10 gallon tank. We didn't know anything about how to take care of them or how much space they needed and the "Feed Supply" store obviously didn't care what happened to them as they were "just feeder fish" (we didn't know what that was). Poor things didn't last very long. A couple of them even committed suicide by jumping out of the tank. We didn't try it again. Side note: My Dad had dug a huge pond where we had ducks and bass, lol. One of the bass was extrememly friendly and considered "our pet." His name was Flipper. He would nibble on our toes and eat from our hands. We started out with three domesticated ducks but then around 30 wild ducks flew in one day and decided to take up residence with us as well. How I'd love to have that pond now for koi; I don't have the room where I am now.

Around 15 years or so ago, my stepdad had a couple of large tanks that my mom and I had to temporarily take over doing water changes and feeding after my stepdad had a motorcyle accident and couldn't take care of them until he recovered. I didn't live there at the time so I only got to help out on the weekends that I was there. I loved to watch the fish in those tanks though. They were beautiful.

I (regrettably because of how I feel about adoption/rescuing of dogs & cats) used to work at Petland. My job was "behind the scenes," taking care of the dogs (cleaning, medicating, feeding, exercising) and birds (feeding & medicating). I didn't have anything to do with the fish as they had a dedicated fish person there but I did have a tendency to look in awe at them daily, lol.

My fiance and I decided we wanted a fish. We went to the local fish store and picked out what we thought was a fantail, Ginger ended up being a Black Moor. I love him/her (still don't know what Ginger is, LOL!) and have developed quite an affinity to moors/telescopes.

I'm a huge animal lover. I've had ponies, pygmy goats, ducks, chickens, hamsters, gerbils, flying squirells, birds, rabbits, turtles, dogs & cats (of course!) and now a "proper" aquarium of my own.

i got a 7 gallon....first i put tropicals..3 mollies and 3 hatchet fish..all died..

so then i bought 8 single tail goldfish for a dollar..so i put them in there...and i only change the water when it got smelly...so 5 fish died before i found kokos and had a 45 gallon...so i bought a fantail..and my brother and sis had bowls with goldfish...i felt sorry for them..my mom also had a comment in a bowl he had lived in for 3 years..i also had a fantail...and the 45 gallon only had a aquaclear 15..so i put the fantail in there with the gaint comment and they both died in qt....so i stated to reasearch...so i let it cyle and bought little o and willie and qt them and then got black jacj qt him and then bandit...i still had ace in the 7 gallon..with his 2 other common and comet..after those two fish doed i put Ace with the others and i was really hooked..and that is my story.

My first Goldfish where a common and 2 comets called Nacho, Blue and Kamikaze. I loved them all they started of in a :yikes bowl well bowls they had one each I cleaned them everyday an added water conditioners etc. Then I moved them to a tank still too small but a step in right direction. I had Nacho for 3 years till I lost her to bacterial infection despite treating her. Blue and Kamikaze developed Ich when I got them home store gave me meds free to cure them as all there stock had Ich. Kamikaze was constantly attacked by Blue to point that Kamikazes head was so badly bitten I had to let him go. Blue I lost to SBD after an exploratory at the Vets. Then I found Dyson my Moor I fell in love with that cute face and that was me hooked on fancys. Dyson is reaching his 2nd birthday of living with me now :D I would never give up my Goldies ever :exactly

Edited by Blue

Punch hooked me -

and

making me realize these are truly intelligent feeling wonderful animals with personalities. It is an aquapuppy disease; not good for the faint of heart and a thin bill fold LOL

I am sure Social security will list this as a disability in ther future

You say - you even cried - Why say "even" - feelings and careing may be in a tailspin in our society - be proud that you can say that and show genuine feeling for a special animal.... There are people out there who could use just a portion of the emotion and feeling you showed for your pet - I applaud you -

Punch hooked me -

and

making me realize these are truly intelligent feeling wonderful animals with personalities. It is an aquapuppy disease; not good for the faint of heart and a thin bill fold LOL

I am sure Social security will list this as a disability in ther future

You say - you even cried - Why say "even" - feelings and careing may be in a tailspin in our society - be proud that you can say that and show genuine feeling for a special animal.... There are people out there who could use just a portion of the emotion and feeling you showed for your pet - I applaud you -

LOL.. that would awesome is SS did that!.. Id be collecting sum money!.. :nana

Hubby got me Lola for Mother's Day. After a few months, I found this site, and realized I had a lot of changes to make! :rofl I am so mad at myself...as I can't find any pictures of Lola as a baby.

I didn't know it was hubby that got you started on this hobby! :)

I didn't know it was hubby that got you started on this hobby! :)

We used to always go look at the fish in Wallyworld, and on Mother's Day, it was no different. When I said, "isn't that one pretty?", he said, "then let's get it for you for Mother's Day!". It was very impromptu. :rofl

I chose goldfish to keep over any other fish because of their adorable personalities. They are the puppy dogs and clowns of the fish world. I just really never experienced such antics with other kinds of fish. Plus, they are a huge challenge. So much more to know than with other fish, so keeping them successfully really gives you a sense of accomplishment.

I have always had tropical fish in aquariums. I had tried goldfish before and couldn't figure out why they were so "dirty" and I just seemed not to have good luck with them.

For Christmas 3 years ago, my family got me 2 aquariums and I decided to put goldfish in one of them. I fell in love with a little fantail in the tank at wallyworld and brought him home and named him Moby. Florence was actually a little calico common "feeder" goldie that I got at the lfs for 25 cents. I had them in a small tank and one of the little commons died.

Moby grew, but developed a white bump on his back. I described it to the lady who owns the lfs and she told me it was fungus and recommended Fungus Clear, explaining that I had to remove the carbon filter while I used it. OMG...it turned the water a hideous greenish brown, Moby's bump didn't improve and he turned solid black from ammonia burns!! He looked so sad and ill that I cried every time I looked at him. I had read things on this forum before but never posted, and in desperation I came here looking for help to save him, and Florence also because she was starting to get black spots. I was so upset I couldn't get into the forum itself that I emailed Koko herself and she was so nice. She reset my info and told me I had them in too small of a tank. Everyone here jumped in and advised me of what I needed to do and I was hooked! On a side note, Florence actually didn't have a name until Moby became so ill. She stayed by him, nudging him when he sat on the bottom, even covering him with her tail when he stayed in the corner, so Florence Nightingale became her name, which is funny because she turned solid silver after she started to grow in the larger tank.

I never knew you could love fish until Moby got so sick. He looked like a sick little black puppy and I knew it was my fault, and it was devastating. I have watched both of them grow, learned their personalities, and they are pets to me the same as my cat. And I must say they are even more difficult and expensive than my cat to take care of, but I love them just the same! :heart

The wonderful people on this forum and Moby and Florence themselves are what got me hooked on goldfish. I still have tropical fish and love them also, but they are not as complicated either, lol!

I got hooked when I got my first goldfish, Bronwin. He was a little white fish from a feeder tank with big, beautiful blue eyes. I had read some care sheets on fancies and didn't realize that commons are a whole different animal; I started the little 1" dude out in a 5g thinking I'd upgrade him to a 10g when I got home for Christmas break - what a good owner, right? ::rolls eyes:: At any rate, he was such a friendly, interactive, dynmanic guy. He used to play with bubbles, roll marbles across the floor of his tank, etc. I ended up buying him two buddies ::cringes at the memory of them all in that 5g:: I found out after going on some forums that I was taking care of then completely incorrectly, and that common goldfish are a BIG responsibility. Crap! I had a 30g, which was "OK" for the time being since they were all very tiny, but soon found myself in the market for a bigger tank (a 75g, and later, a 300g bin). However, little Bronwin would sadly never see that tank; he started losing weight, developing an s-curve to his spine, his eyes began to bulge... I suspected TB, and not long after being seperated, he started getting the sunken belly and open sores. I euthanized him with an OD Finquel; truly one of the hardest euthanasias of my life. He was only one year old, and it was so sad to see such a spirited little guy go out in such a horrible way. Mercifully, it hadn't spread to my other fish, but I'll always be sad that I never got to see him as one of the big 12" beauties his two friends have grown into. I actually had a friend do a commission of what he might of looked like grown up. You can see it here, and if I might shamelessly plug, this gal does some of the most stunning goldfish commissions I've ever seen. Check out "Too Good for This World" as well, also a commission done for me.