Filter Recommendations

I got the new/used 75 gallon tank set up in my fish room yesterday and it looks fantastic, but one of the filters that came with it is junk. I bought a Marineland Emperor 280 for another tank, but set it up on the 75 along with the used Marineland Penguin 200 for now. The fish that are going in this tank are VERY SMALL fancy tails that I grew out from a friends spawn. There are seven of them and the largest is less than a size of a quarter. So, this filtration is fair for now, BUT I realize I need something better, and soon.....

My question is: Should I upgrade to TWO Marineland Emperor 400's to hang on the back of the tank,,,, OR should I start looking for some sort of canister filter????

I can do a canister filter on this tank, but know hardly anything about them.... What's a good brand? I'm confused by all of them on the market. I was looking at the Fluval's and they seem good. I liked the hose shut off feature and feel that that would come in handy during canister clean out, BUT I don't know. I do not want a lot of hassle. How often do these canisters need to be cleaned?

The big question is: How effective is their filtering ability compared to HOB filters like the Emperor vs. cost and ease of maintenance??????? Any guidance would be appreciated.

What's a good brand? I'm confused by all of them on the market. I was looking at the Fluval's and they seem good. I liked the hose shut off feature and feel that that would come in handy during canister clean out, BUT I don't know. I do not want a lot of hassle. How often do these canisters need to be cleaned?

I have the Rena Filstar XP4 (the biggest they have for RENA's right now) on my 125g, in conjuction with 2 of the Emperor 400's. The newest RENA has all of the great features you expect (we were talking about them on another thread recently). I did see though that Fluval has one a little bit bigger in capacity (mine is 450 gph), but it's quite expensive.

You only have to prime it on setup, and thereafter, it keeps its pressure even through cleanings. Daryl cleans her canisters regularly, but I think you need to do what's best for you - depending on how quickly your sponges get dirty, and how much sediment settles on the bottom.

The things I like the best about them are: lots of room for media, quiet operation, choice of method of water return, ease of operation, ease of cleaning.

I didn't know anything about canisters before I bought mine, and then when I started comparing them, the RENA stood out.

Thanks everyone. I think I'm just going to go with the HOB Marineland Emperor 400's for now. A pair of those will pump 800 gallons per hour and that's more than 10 times the tank volume, so it should be good... I have the room at the back of the tank against the wall for them, so I'll get around to ordering them eventually.

I just cannot find a canister that can handle those numbers of gallons......

Dan, I LOVE that blue oranda in your sig picture. What a lovely color!!!

I just cannot find a canister that can handle those numbers of gallons......

I had PM'd you about the Fluval that turns over more than 900 GPH, remember?....but I think you like the bio wheels. :rofl

Of course, I love them too, since I use them as well.