Algea Eaters

Bubbles

I have had chinese algea eaters with my goldfish before with no problem at all. My co worker (when I worked at the petstore) told me it would be fine to keep them together in a 35 gallon tank. Its been a while, and I no longer have one. I just dont see them on the list of compatable fish provided, so it makes me kind of nervous. What do you think?

CAE's like to suck the slime of fish, especially goldfish and will usually keep harassing and chasing them. I haven't been able to keep them even with platies, I had a lovely golden CAE and had to return it to the lfs as it keep harrassing the platies to suck their slime coat.

As they mature CAE's also require more protien in their diet (hence the slime coat thing) so it is necessary that they get proper food and not just algae or algae wafers.

The best algae eaters imo opinion are bristlenose plecos, these need some driftwood to knaw on, no salt in the water and love algae but also eat other food such as algae wafers and regular sinking fish food. They can survive in temps as low as 18C/64F provided this is only for a couple of months of the year, they do prefer temps in the mid 20'sC/70'sF.

Thank you. Maybe I will hold off untill I can find a bristle nose! I have never seen one around here, but maybe I should take a look around at other pet stores because its been a while since Ive looked. Are the expensive?

in our school tank which was only 5 gallons we had 2 chinsese algae eaters, the bigger one ate the smaller one and I rescued the bigger one along with a tetra, they can become very agressive when they get bigger, mine has grown alot since I brought him home, although I never see him unless I clean the tank when I move his hiding spot cause he's very shy.

Not really expensive, over in Aust about $8 each for the regular bristlenose. I paid $35 for my golden albino bristlenose as a juvenille and he has grown into a beauty, as an adult he sells at the lfs for around $100.

i used to own rubbernose pleco but they wern't as good of a algae eatter as bristlenose. i got it for 6.99 about 3" ... he cleaned out the green algae in like 2 days and now i feeed them cucumber ... he/her is munching on it right now.. i recommand bristlenose for sure !

I've heard chinese algae eaters are just about

the worst fish you could put in with goldfish, as they

suck the slimecoat right off your goldies. Bristlenose pleco, rubbernose pleco, or Dojos (weather loaches)

are supposed to be harmless. :rolleyes:

Archived