Wanting To Get A Bigger Thank...

Well, as some of you know,I've been trying to get a bigger thank. Well, I have the money now, but here's the big question: "When I get the tank, what do I do with my current up and running one?"

I've thought and I've thought, but I've never found the answer. So, here's my question:

"How can I get a new tank up and running without killing my fish??"

NOTE: I donnot have this new tank yet!

Im was thinking drain some of the origonal water out of the first tank and moving it to the floor and placing the new tank to where the old one was, fill it up with the water from the current tank, add the decorations and live plants, then he rest of the water, the fish, and finally some new treated water and stuff to set up the biological system in the new tank. By doing this, I'd also keep the origonal filters and cartriges and do weekly water changes untill the water is safe.

How does that idea sound?

Tips or advice would be helpfull.

Crazy Fish Geek

that should work as long as u keep the decorations, gravel and filters without washing them u'll still have the bacteria, just be careful to match temp and ph and everything else when adding new water

how big is your current tank?

this sounds like a good idea..

also how big is the new tank going to be?

Current tank: 20 galon

Hope to be new tank: 29-40 gallon

It all depends on if my parents will let me go that big. I have 5 4-5inch g/f in the 20gallon, they need a bigger home or some say "bye-bye" and get given away.

can u get some pics of him and his home :please

yeah try to get a 50 gallon....

or get a ruuber maid container with a aquclear 110

It's five fish that are 4-5" long in a 20 gallon tank, not one. PLus surprisingly I keep the water levles at zero all the time. If anything, I might give some fish away either before or after I get a new tank.

It's five fish that are 4-5" long in a 20 gallon tank, not one. PLus surprisingly I keep the water levles at zero all the time. If anything, I might give some fish away either before or after I get a new tank.

my bad..what type of filter are u using?

Can you upload any pics?

my bad..what type of filter are u using?

Can you upload any pics?

I'm using a 20 gallon and a 10 gallon filter and sadly no pictures areavailable.

I do water changes about one every month and haven't changed the filter cartriges in months, and when I do, it's one filter at a time.

Why don't you get a 40 gallon and put 4 goldfish in there. And put the last one in the 20 gallon and then find him a friend..

I was thinking of that. well g2g toodles

Thats a good idea. :)

CRG, your fist post confuses me... only because I am about to go to bed... Are you talking about trying to transfer some bacteria from your aquarium to help speed up your new one? :hmm ... if this is what you were talking about why dont you just use your old filter or transport some gravel? Sorry if I am wrong about my assumption and sound like a lunatic (sp?)... I am sleepy

I suggest get the biggest tank you can & a good filter. In the mean time you HAVE to increase your tank maintenance! Especially when you are over stocked & under filtrated! I have 6 goldies in 100 gallons of water with TWO AQ110s AND a Fluval........and I STILL do good sized water changes EVERY WEEK! I would look on places like Craigslist to find a deal on a used tank.....you might be able to get a whole set up!!

I suggest get the biggest tank you can & a good filter. In the mean time you HAVE to increase your tank maintenance! Especially when you are over stocked & under filtrated! I have 6 goldies in 100 gallons of water with TWO AQ110s AND a Fluval........and I STILL do good sized water changes EVERY WEEK! I would look on places like Craigslist to find a deal on a used tank.....you might be able to get a whole set up!!

I would keep up with my tank matnence if I wasn't so busy with school and volentary work with horses. I did a 50% water change today after I woke up. If worst comes to worse and I can't get a bigger tank, some of my fish will say "bye-bye" and go back to my LFS and get traded in for some cash or something.