Spending A Day At Goldfishpassion

small_ranchu

Hello everybody,

I just want to share what I did yesterday with you guy.

Yesterday was my holiday and I decided to visit Paul at Philadephia. I have a very good reason to go there.. :) I have to pick up my new fish from him.

Started my journey at 8:00 in the morning by bus from NY to Philadephia. I got there around 11:00, meeting my new fish and checking Paul's fish. His collections are really good and really want to grab them all.

We ate lunch together, afterward we went to Bigals in Phila. Bigals is another amazing place full with aquatic items. I bought a pack of bio balls and Paul got four packs of frozen bloodworm. We went to meet Pat from http://www.buckscountykoico.com/ . Pat has a lot of show quality koi and amazing koi pond with superb water treatment system.

We came back to Paul place around 6:00PM, pack my fish and came back around 6:30. I got home around 11:30 finally.

Overall, it's a nice trip. Both Paul and Pat are very nice, very passionate on the hobby. I am very disappoint that I don't see most of Paul fish since he already shipped them out and I forgot to bring my camera with me. I am thinking to go there again when he gets his new shipment.

I will update the pic of my new fish soon. It's SVR06 on goldfishpassion page under red/white ranchu category.

We ate lunch together, afterward we went to Bigals in Phila. Bigals is another amazing place full with aquatic items.

I'm getting feeble in my old age..... It took me 5 minutes to realize your were talking about Big Al's when you typed Bigals. I believe they have opened a new store in Conshohocken, a close-in suburb of Philadelphia. If I am correct, that place is about 5 miles from my house. I thought I read someplace that one of the owners or executives of this Big Al's store was formerly associated with Martin's Aquarium and Pet Store in Jenkintown, Pa.

Oliver

Yo Fred!

Wow Paul has vamped up his website! Very nice.

Good pick on SVR 06. The near tancho one, right? One of the most balanced out of all SVRs, I reckon. The only flaws I can see are the joined top caudal lobes and the bump on the backbone right after the wen (which looks accentuated because it's red), but both very minor flaws.

Nice catch, mate! :yeah:

It sounds like a wonderful time Fred. How fun to actually go and collect your fish like that and meet some interesting people too.

Shame on you though for not bringing your camera, I hear the kokos stick approaching :rofl

I'm interested in the 'superb water treatment system'- do you mean filtration system and if so what kind?

As for Thai ranchu and Japanese ranchu- man I am still a learning and look forward to explanatory pics eventually from you -as a ranchu pro - to make this all a little clearer.

Thanks so much for sharing your special day with us :D

As for Thai ranchu and Japanese ranchu- man I am still a learning and look forward to explanatory pics eventually from you -as a ranchu pro - to make this all a little clearer.

If I may, I'd like to try and answer this :) , since Fred asked me to do so.

Japanese ranchu, is known outside Japan as Top View Ranchu, or TVR. I believe you got a couple of them yourself, Imogen. They got longish body, strong and thick backbone, strong tail bracelet, and that adorable, prominent buffalo-cheeks. They're viewed & judged mostly from the top, so smoothness of the backbone curve, peduncle-to-tail angle & body depth are not of significant importance.

Thailand's ranchu culture compared to Japan's ranchu culture, I think, is a relatively new and people are just starting to appreciate the results of their intensive breeding program. Thai breeders breed both TVR and SVR (Side View Ranchu). The quality of both breeds coming out of Thailand is, in my opinion, exceptional. When people say Thai Ranchu, they usually refer to SVR bred in Thailand, as it is quite different than Chinese SVR that we usually see in Goldfishnet, Dandy Orandas & Goldfishconnection's auction. Chinese SVR got boxy, bulky body, often looks "fat". The wen is more or less evenly spread throughout the entire head. Thai SVR's body is bulky too, but it looks lean & muscular with clear definition between the abdomen & backbone. The wen, no doubt because of the TVR genes, sports the characteristic prominent buffalo-cheeks like in Japanese TVR.

Thai Ranchu sporting very prominent "cheeks"

gl-s206_b.gif

From thairanchucentre.com

Chinese ranchus from BAS website

ranchu1.jpg

Of course, all of this is entirely my observation only, so please don't take it seriously :P

Thankyou Riz :) So I think I understand a little.

The Thai SVR are more closely resembling the Japanese TVR and the chinese SVR are moving away from that prototype and have different desirable characteristics like the more even wen and the perhaps more pointier looking head? It seems that the original Japanese idea of "a ranchu must look like a sumo wrestler" is now changing -I personally rather like the chubby chinese SVR with their even wen (so cute that calico ). Our ranchu is certainly the buffalo sumo type.

I see now why the backbone line is less important in TVR. Great explanation :exactly

Riz,

Thanks for your help. I saw Imogen question this morning when I was doing a quick browse. I knew you will have a better explanation and sent PM to you. Thanks again.

Imogen,

As Riz said, Thai ranchu are closer to original Japanese ranchu. I like their buffalo head and strong body instead of fat body. I like original TVR too. But their price is beyond my limit unfortunately. Water treating system includes a big filter, heater and UV for 10000 gal pond. It's an amazing experience.

Thanks everyone. Visiting BigAls and GoldfishPassion is a great experience and I was about to bring everything home from them. lol

I'd have to take out a loan if I visited Big Al's in person :rofl

Oh yeah I can definitely see that. That big buck & a quarter(125 gal) ain't gonna be big enough. Your hubby's gonna kill you! :rofl

In all seriousness, I'm going to make a mental note to take a motorcycle ride down there next Spring to check it out. Of course I'll have to grab Philly's finest steak 'n cheese while I'm down there too. :)

In all seriousness, I'm going to make a mental note to take a motorcycle ride down there next Spring to check it out. Of course I'll have to grab Philly's finest steak 'n cheese while I'm down there too. :)

You will find yourself in the midst of a serious debate as to which of 4 places have the best Philly cheesesteak sandwich. 2 are in south Philly, one is at the Reading Station market, and a fourth, in northest Philly that has recently been judged as best of all.

Oliver

I'd have to take out a loan if I visited Big Al's in person :rofl

Lola, have you been to Big Al's near Ft. Lauderdale yet? From where you live, it should be about as much of a travel as to Jax, no? Anyway, that place is wonderful, and goldfish heaven. A whole wall, probably 30 ft long, full of goldfish tanks, big and small fish, and all excellent quality. Its probably a good thing that I don't live close anymore - my pocketbook appreciates it anyway. :D

Fred, Paul has some amazing goldfish on his website, and I can't wait for the hamanishiki to show up. For the calico orandas however, they look more like ranchu with dorsal fins. But the red/whites are niiiiice!

You will find yourself in the midst of a serious debate as to which of 4 places have the best Philly cheesesteak sandwich. 2 are in south Philly, one is at the Reading Station market, and a fourth, in northest Philly that has recently been judged as best of all.

Oliver

Thanks Oliver. Heheh I can't wait. :)