Yet Another Rescue.

magscat3161

Let me just start of by saying I hate stupid people! Some one left this guy on the porch in a fish bowl. It's cold as crap out there! I don't know what they did to this fish but it totally blind with cateracs and it's completely spastic. I haven't thought of a name yet but here's the pics.

IMG_1296_1.jpgIMG_1291_2.jpg

He's just under three inches. I just came back from the scope and he's got an ugly case of gill flukes. He's calmed down a little now and seems to be more comfy in the clean water. The water in his bowl was brown! I stuck the bowl in a bag and smashed with a hammer and then threw in away. I don't ever want it to be used to kill another fish.

He's just under three inches. I just came back from the scope and he's got an ugly case of gill flukes. He's calmed down a little now and seems to be more comfy in the clean water. The water in his bowl was brown! I stuck the bowl in a bag and smashed with a hammer and then threw in away. I don't ever want it to be used to kill another fish.

Just curious.... how can a fish that has presumably lived solo for some time, develop a parasite-caused illness? I guess it had them, perhaps of a nascent nature, for some time.

In the two months I have been at this web site, I have become amazed at the frequency of GF illness reported by participants, and said participants are probably the folks who pay the closest attention to tank environment, etc. That is, they attempt to provide the most optimum conditions for their GF, yet diseases seem to develop in spite of that effort. I shudder to think what it must be like in the "ordinary" tank.

Would it be unreasonable to assume that GF, because of breeding efforts aimed at "looks' have become genetic "timebombs," with compromised immune systems, overly susceptible to damage, infection and attack? That even with qt tanks and the like, the GF we buy remain loaded with trouble, just waiting for a small chance to proliferate?

Oliver

People just buy fish and never take responisble, fish/goldfish are just pet like any otehr pet such as dog or cat, they deserve what is best, they cant just buy i and then abandon it, they shouldn't buy it at the first place, what poor little guy, i hope he is ok, he is a beautiful calico fantail!

Would it be unreasonable to assume that GF, because of breeding efforts aimed at "looks' have become genetic "timebombs," with compromised immune systems, overly susceptible to damage, infection and attack? That even with qt tanks and the like, the GF we buy remain loaded with trouble, just waiting for a small chance to proliferate?

Oliver

Yes I would certainly agree with you that Goldies have been compromised in that aspect for the sake of beauty. Nature would have designed them in a much more different way.

Olivia you really are an amazing woman. :)

Just curious.... how can a fish that has presumably lived solo for some time, develop a parasite-caused illness? I guess it had them, perhaps of a nascent nature, for some time.

In the two months I have been at this web site, I have become amazed at the frequency of GF illness reported by participants, and said participants are probably the folks who pay the closest attention to tank environment, etc. That is, they attempt to provide the most optimum conditions for their GF, yet diseases seem to develop in spite of that effort. I shudder to think what it must be like in the "ordinary" tank.

Oliver

I can't presume that he was alone. I don't know anything about his history. It would not be unreasonable to assume that which you mentioned. But really that stands true for all of our domestic pets these days not just our fish. Some fish I have have very few issues but I get one or two every now and then that just always seems to have one thing or another going wrong with them *cough kaida cough* lol I'm sure most of it has to do with crappy genetics.

People just buy fish and never take responisble, fish/goldfish are just pet like any otehr pet such as dog or cat, they deserve what is best, they cant just buy i and then abandon it, they shouldn't buy it at the first place, what poor little guy, i hope he is ok, he is a beautiful calico fantail!

I agree with you 100% but people are selfish and in general fairly stupid. They'll never change and I'll never be out of work because of them. Sadly I don't believe I'll be able to put this guy on my A list. I don't usually adopt out the one's who have such special needs. I'm going to set this guy up in a 30g with another totally blind fish that I have here eventually. It would be to rough on him to mix with seeing fish. He'd be picked on and would have a hard time getting food. I have a hard time trusting the special needs ones to others.

he really is a beauty too bad he had aa bad start but at least know he will get looked after

as a for a name how about cloud or cheddar judging by the names i am hungry lol

Olivia you really are an amazing woman. :)

Thanks! What makes you think that? This is really the only thing that I'm very good at. lol I guess only being good at one thing can't make me all that amazing. :D

Even throught the internet, I can tell that you are a very kind, caring person. Yet at the same time, you seem very strong and determined, a rare combination. You also seem to give 100% in whatever you take on.

That post I used in my quote showed those two sides of you. Meticulously diagnosing the goldie's condition through the microscope and nursing him back to health............ And smashing the evil bowl to smithereens(lol). :D

Edited by Jack of Hearts