Nitrates

gardengirl

The new tank has nitrates registering at .25% and my big calico ryukin is bottom sitting. I did a water change this morning before work, and come home and she was bottom sitting along with the ranchu. The little oranda is doing fine and the ranchu is moving around the tank a bit more, but the calico is in the back corner........... I had to take out the biowheel 36 hours ago to do a Fluke-Tab treatment, but did a big water change and put it back in this morning after the water change..... I'm wondering if having the bio wheel out was the problem. All perameters were zero before. The pH is fine too -- stable at 7.8.

Anyway, I salted the tank and wonder if there's anything else I can do....????? I don't want the fish to suffer.

When you took the biowheel out some the bacteria inside it may have died. You need to keep filter material/bio wheels in aerated water to maintain oxygen to the bacteria. Also the bacteria isn't getting fed when it is out of the tank so some of it will die regardless.

So you may have dead bacteria floating around in the water making the fish feel a little off. Maybe do another water change if they don't start acting normally within 24hrs.

Of course it may have nothing to do with the biowheel and your fish are still afflicted by flukes.

Yeah, Lola, LOL.... I'm an idiot. I meant NITRITES. Silly me.... ANYHOO, I did another water change this evening and the calico was up and around. She even went nuts and fed on bloodworms, so I know she's probably going to be alright. I just hate that I HAD a completely cycled tank and now I've got this bump.

I wonder if I should put in a bag of gravel from a cycled tank??? Would that help, Annette?

The fish in question did not necessarily have flukes, but I treat all new fish for flukes as part of my quarentine proceedure.

Edited by gardengirl

You're not able to treat with the bio-wheels? I thought Eric had said it wasn't necessary to do anything different in your tanks, but I'm not really sure.

I'm glad you caught their sensitivity quickly. I had a bump in my 55 a while back, after doing a major filter cleaning, but it was necessary because the propellers were clogged. I think before I do that again, I'll make sure I have plenty of media in the tank to keep the bacteria happy while the filters are removed. I always float the wheels though when I'm doing that, but evidently it's not alway enough.

It's only a small spike in the nitrItes, I'm suprised your calico rykin reacted so radically, just goes to show that all fish have different tolerances to nitrIte. I'm sure your cycle will be back on track in no time.

If you have small nitrIte readings for the next couple of days you could add a dose of Prime each day instead of changing the water.

If you have small nitrIte readings for the next couple of days you could add a dose of Prime each day instead of changing the water.

Okay. Prime is what I use anyway for dechlor. Thanks!!! LOL, on the nitrIte spelling above.... I'm such a dork. Sorry. LOL

Lola, I pulled the biowheel just in case. I've been burned before when a product (or a sales person) says it's safe for biomedia and then I dose it, and it helps the fish, but kills off the entire colony of bacteria in my filter. I had it happen in my 100 gallon filter for the big pond earlier this year. So now I either by-pass the media, or take out the biowheel. I only had the silly thing out for 36 hours, soaking in water..... strange huh???