New Tank Mates:)

Guest lioness

Guest lioness

Hi Everyone :hi

Just to let u know, i took my green cories (pr) out of the discus tank because i figured it was too hot. I have had them there for almost 6 months. I moved them to my beta tank, finally last nite. I came home from work and was doing a once over on the tanks and saw eggs in 3 diff places in the tank. These guys used to spawn all the time in my other tank, before discus. Now, they r back at it and some!!!!!lol :lovewhip

Guest lioness

well, so far they r still in there. don't no what will happen. Do u know how long it takes for them to hatch? BTW Imber, nice avitar :)

Edited by lioness

Sorry, I don't know much about raising cories. The one time that I did rescue some eggs I think it took 3ish days for them to hatch, but then I didn't have the right stuff to feed them(just tried the hikari baby bites) or any place other than a breeding trap so they didn't survive :(

Guest lioness
Sorry, I don't know much about raising cories. The one time that I did rescue some eggs I think it took 3ish days for them to hatch, but then I didn't have the right stuff to feed them(just tried the hikari baby bites) or any place other than a breeding trap so they didn't survive :(

Its ok, cause i don't no much either. I tried in a small tank but the heater i had wouldn't cooperate so they died :( I was feeding hard boiled egg yolk, which really fouled the water. Too much work imo! I put the cories in there to help clean up the extra food.

Edited by lioness

I could never get my fish to spawn...

If they are anything like godfish though you will need a second tank to put them in... I dont know how big your aquarium is... just make sure when they are grown you wont have to worry about them bumping into eachother... And wont you have to worry about the eggs being eaten?

For the first couple days they can feed off their yolk sac and after that you can try Green water and Daphnia.

Here are a couple links if you are interested....

Good one

ANother one

I hope this is of some assistance. :)

Edited by sollicitus_witness

Those are good links Chris (as they say in fact) and lioness I think your cories like their new home :) Congrats on the eggs.

Guest lioness

Thank u trinket. I thought the discus tank was too warm because they didn't spawn in there. They spawned all the time until i put them w/the discus. One ? tho. What is green water and where do u get it? Never heard of it. Anyone no???? Great links btw, very helpful :)

Edited by lioness

Guest SkaelFish

congrats on the eggs!

a friend of mine (the guy I got my 55g tank from) has 2 female planted betta tanks, always amazed at the beauty of those fish, very distinct personalities

They do have very distinctive personalities don't they. I am geared up to get one anyday now (she says every day- I can never chooooose!)

. What is green water and where do u get it?

Well I think the GW people here like d_golem and small ranchu could tell you lots more about it but I'll just briefly say this; Green water is the aquatic name for a cultivated algae tank or pond in which you have aeration but no filtration. Over a period of time (usually at least a month I think in very strong sunshine or light for a certain length of time every day) the light encourages the growth of spirulina -yes just the same as the food pellets and tabs- which is a free floating single cell nutritional algae that filtrates the water naturally and provides instant, constant food. In fact it filtrates the water so perfectly once achieved (and it is quite hard to achieve) that you get ZERO nitrates!!!Imagine that! Perfect water. You see accidental green water in some ponds and you see cultivated GW in alot of professional ranchu owner/breeders tanks/tubs. It takes a lot of scubbing off of brown algae which halts the progress of the green and careful light monitoring.

Guest lioness

I havn't tried to get fry. I am too overwhelmed w/fish now to worry about fry. They r just the happiest little guys in the tank, swimmin and spawning. Free eggs to whoever gets there first :rockon