Sign in to follow this  
emilydelong

Getting A New Tank...

I don't know for sure what joists are, but we have wood support beams in our basement that are a little over 1' apart from eachother. I don't think the basement is under the whole house. The house has an original part and a newer part. The new part has a concrete foundation, old part has the wood and basement (I think, I may be wrong). I'll have to check with my Dad to see if the living room is an original room or not.

Edited by ConverseWithMyConverse

Well this morning. My parents and I went out to breakfast and my dad said that we would pick the tank up tomorrow. My mom wanted to go across the street and look at the prices of new tanks to see how much of a difference there is. The man that helped us kept talking about how much better saltwater tanks are. A lady came up to us and said that she thinks goldfish are beautiful and told me she was proud of me for doing my homework because I kept correcting the salesmen. The lady and I walked over to the goldfish tanks and talked fish and then when I found my parents they had decided that they want a saltwater tank. My mom already isn't a fan of goldfish and the man talked them out of goldfish. When we left my dad said that there are new conditions for the tank.

1. It has to already have a stand.

2. It must look nice.

3. It can't be more than 75 gallons.

4. It must be NEW (the man also talked them out of second-hand tanks).

Now I'm upset because I can't afford to buy and set up a brand new tank and my parents are saying that if I can afford to pay a total of about $700 to buy and set up the 150 than I can afford to buy and set up a new 75. They said that getting a few more fish isn't worth me paying more to get a new bigger tank. :(

Edited by ConverseWithMyConverse

Oh, Emily, I'm so sorry your parents did that to you. That seems so unfair for them to pull such a switch after you've worked so hard. :(

I do want to say that I am VERY proud of you, though. You are a caring and knowledgable gf person and that will stay with you all your life. You WILL get your big tank one day, I'm sure of it.

{{{Hugs}}}

Lisa

Oh, Emily, I'm so sorry your parents did that to you. That seems so unfair for them to pull such a switch after you've worked so hard. :(

I do want to say that I am VERY proud of you, though. You are a caring and knowledgable gf person and that will stay with you all your life. You WILL get your big tank one day, I'm sure of it.

{{{Hugs}}}

Lisa

Thanks Lisa. I had them look on craigslist with me and we found a 90 gal with everything that we all like. Hopefully they'll let me get that. I can't believe that the saleman would do that though, they didn't even sell saltwater stuff. He kept telling them that goldfish are really dirty and not worth the upkeep. My dad asked how many fish we could fit in a 75 and he said that since we would buy gf that are relatively small, we could put 20-30 fish in it and then get rid of some later on and that we could put tropicals in with them! He only knew a lot about saltwater and tropicals. Both the man and the lady were asking me questions and I was getting them all right, they even offered me a job in the fish section, lol.

My dad asked how many fish we could fit in a 75 and he said that since we would buy gf that are relatively small, we could put 20-30 fish in it and then get rid of some later on and that we could put tropicals in with them!

What an idiot. I hope you schooled your dad.

My dad did that to me when I was a little girl. He promised me I could get a horse for years....he said all we had to do was move somewhere with some land. Well guess what? As soon as moved to a place with a couple of acres, he told me he'd be happy to see me with a horse- as soon as I moved out of HIS house!

Dads can be a royal pain sometimes.

when i was 5 i ask for a mouse but my mom told me too wait....i am still waiting

Edited by Fishcrazy

that sucks. Saltwater tanks are much harder to maintain and will need special eqipment such as protein skimmers. The tiny fish also cost about 30-60 dollars each. Maybe that will change their mind? I love saltwater fish too btu I know u really wanted that tank for some pretty goldies!

My dad asked how many fish we could fit in a 75 and he said that since we would buy gf that are relatively small, we could put 20-30 fish in it and then get rid of some later on and that we could put tropicals in with them!

What an idiot. I hope you schooled your dad.

My dad did that to me when I was a little girl. He promised me I could get a horse for years....he said all we had to do was move somewhere with some land. Well guess what? As soon as moved to a place with a couple of acres, he told me he'd be happy to see me with a horse- as soon as I moved out of HIS house!

Dads can be a royal pain sometimes.

I told him the guy was wrong right in front of him.

Are you sure you had enough land for a horse?

that sucks. Saltwater tanks are much harder to maintain and will need special eqipment such as protein skimmers. The tiny fish also cost about 30-60 dollars each. Maybe that will change their mind? I love saltwater fish too btu I know u really wanted that tank for some pretty goldies!

My mom was like, "OOO Em, saltwater! We could get a Nemo!". I think saltwater tanks are beautiful and I would love to get one some day but I can't afford to set one up or maintain one right now. Don't they have to be cleaned like twice a week? I told her that when I put my fish in a new tank, she could put some corals and a clown fish in my 20 gal.

My mom was like, "OOO Em, saltwater! We could get a Nemo!". I think saltwater tanks are beautiful and I would love to get one some day but I can't afford to set one up or maintain one right now. Don't they have to be cleaned like twice a week? I told her that when I put my fish in a new tank, she could put some corals and a clown fish in my 20 gal.

that is a good deal...what did she say?

She was a little bummed since she would rather use the bigger tank for the saltwater but I think she'll take the deal. She really likes these 2 huge saltwater tanks that they have at the movie theater we go to.

I had them look on craigslist with me and we found a 90 gal with everything that we all like. Hopefully they'll let me get that.

I think we might get the 90 gal. It is about an hour away. It looks really nice. The lady selling it has offered to lower her price if I pay cash. Some family friends live about 5 minutes from it so we're having them look at it first and if they think it's worth driving out there to get, my parents are going to pick it up for me! :) I wonder if my dad has realized that it is used and more than 75 gal, lol.

Good luck with that 90g! I love saltwater tanks and my husband and I keep contemplating getting one, but they're sooo much more expensive if you want the cool corals and stuff which I would of course want. The cost of the lights and the protein skimmer were going to cost like 4 times as much as we paid for the tank(we got a good deal on it, but still). Add on top of that the cost of live rocks and then stocking it. The only way I'd buy a salt tank is if it came second hand and fully stocked so someone else had to spend all the money and do all the work. :rofl The 20 gallon would definitely be cheaper to set up as salt because you'll be able to use smaller lights/filter/skimmer. It can make a beautiful tank too. I did a quick search for 20g saltwater and found this picture which I think is just stunning!

http://saltaquarium.about.com/library/phot...tico20greef.htm

The only way I'd buy a salt tank is if it came second hand and fully stocked so someone else had to spend all the money and do all the work. :rofl

Exactly.

Good luck with that 90g! I love saltwater tanks and my husband and I keep contemplating getting one, but they're sooo much more expensive if you want the cool corals and stuff which I would of course want. The cost of the lights and the protein skimmer were going to cost like 4 times as much as we paid for the tank(we got a good deal on it, but still). Add on top of that the cost of live rocks and then stocking it. The only way I'd buy a salt tank is if it came second hand and fully stocked so someone else had to spend all the money and do all the work. :rofl The 20 gallon would definitely be cheaper to set up as salt because you'll be able to use smaller lights/filter/skimmer. It can make a beautiful tank too. I did a quick search for 20g saltwater and found this picture which I think is just stunning!

http://saltaquarium.about.com/library/phot...tico20greef.htm

OMG! That tank is goreous! Why would you do that to me!? :druel Now I'm wanting saltwater!! lol I guess now I need to start saving so I can make the 20 a saltwater tank.

Emily, you can tell your parents that its very easy and pretty to look at a saltwater tank in restaurants and other public places. Those places have companies that do their tank maintenance for them, and they don't do much work themselves. It is a lot of costs, and experience, to take care of a saltwater tank, and a whole different cup of tea compared to a freshwater tank.

Yeah. I told her that since I would be the one taking care of the tank, that I wanted to put fish that I am familiar and comfortable with caring for in the tank. She even offered to buy the supplies, coral, and fish and I turned her down.

A family friend is looking at the tank for me right now so we can decide whether or not to get it. I'm so excited! I'll find out what she thinks about it really soon and I should be able to get it Saturday!

Well I just talked to my friend and she said that it's a nice tank and worth the money being asked for it. I'm going to try to get it this weekend!

Yeah

i really want a bigger tank also....

i asked my mom..and i told her every thing i wanted for it you should have seen her face :thud : :D

lol. I don't even have my tank yet and I bought 3 fish from Olivia (RYUU)! Hopefully you'll get one soon. What do you want for your tank?