New Tank Today

gardengirl

I found a 75 gallon tank on Craigslist last night, went to see it and it's getting delivered this evening! Yay! I'm putting it down in the fish room and will use it to grow out the seven little fancy tail babies that I got from a friend in LA. Right now the baby fish are about the size of my thumb, but they are growing fast. I'm so excited! :) Eventually this "herd" of babies will be reduced. I'll find homes for most of them, but this is a great set up for growing them out....

The tank comes with double-bulb lights, so there will be lots of light for growing plants, and it's got two filters, a stand, and two heaters. I priced out the equipment new and it would have cost me like $550 for a new set up without a stand. I got this one for $250 with a stand and the guy is delivering it!!! YAY! I do need to buy new glass for the top as he doesn't have glass tops, but that's okay, I like fresh, clean glass to start anyway. Also he's got a ba-zillion baby guppies in the tank, and they are my favorite half black red tails, so he said I could have a trio of them. I'll put them in my little five gallon tank in the fish room. I love guppies too!. :) Overall, I think I got a pretty good deal on this set up.

I'm so excited about finding this tank as the baby fancy-tails really needed a place to grow out. Right now they are in a rubbermade tank in the furnace room. That was good for awhile, but I was scrambling to find bigger quarters for them. I'll post pics as soon as I can. :D

Edited by gardengirl

thats awesome! Here they sell a 21 gallon tank with stand and filter for $300!!!! I really want it but its sssoooo expensive, but then again all tanks are expensive at petland

It sounds like you got a good buy Gardengirl. So, you have a fish room? I would love one some day. I was thinking of building a fish room in the basement but it is too stinky down there. I don't have enough room upstairs.

Aquaman, Yeah, I have a room in the lowest part of my basement that we had finished when the basement was built out. It's roughly 10 feet by 10 feet, pretty small -- but it's perfect for all my "mad fish experiments", LOL..... I've got a HUGE, heavy old dresser down there to hold a 125 someday, but the new 75 will go on that. Then the walls of the room are surrounded by wooden storage stands, bolted to the wall that hold a 20 gallon long each, or two five gallon tanks together. All in all there is space for 9 20 longs, OR 18 5 gallon tanks, or some combo of sizes......

I also have another long wall where I could have another 55 or 75 someday. I have an old rocker down there and just sit and drink tea and look at the fish. It's very nice. And right now, there's a big 70 gallon tub in the middle of the floor with a shop light over it where I'm growing out ten little common goldfish for my pond that a friend sent me from LA.

One of the best things about my fish room is that it's right next to the furnace room where I have a big utility sink. I keep all my python tubes hanging in there and have a small area built out with grow lights, for a fish hospital which is used on and off...... It's very utilitarian, but useful during water change time. :)

Right now I have an eclipse 12 (a ram and tetras), a 5 gallon (guppies), the 70 gallon tub (grow out for common goldie babies), a 15 gallon tub (QT/hospital tank) , a 10 gallon tub (fancy tailed baby goldfish) , and now the 75 gallon tank for the fancy goldies.... so far. I picked up a free 25 gallon tank this weekend that my DH wants to convert to a Green Spotted Puffer tank for a single puffer, and I'm getting another 20 long later today that I found cheap on Craigs list. That will house three bolivian rams, a blue ram, and two tetras, perhaps. We'll have to see if they can get along..... :)

The room is in transition right now -- being converted back to a fish room from a storage room, so I'm not posting pics yet. My DH is going to help me with the transition more during our Christmas break this year, and hopefully by the new year I'll have it looking pretty good. :) It's a good winter project while my outdoor pond sits idle.

It's a good winter project while my outdoor pond sits idle.

The absence of a drain or sink in our basement precludes using that large space for one or more fish tanks. Draging buckets of clean or dirty water up and down those steps is not something I can do very well. At best, I might be able to maintain a tank in my computer room where the water and drainage is only 20 feet away. I've been looking at Craigslist for a bargain in a fish tank, but not much has shown up. They sure have gotten expensive from the prices I recall way back when.... then again, that goes back to a time when we could use beads for money.

So, it looks like I'll have to stare at my pool/pond, wish the fishies therein well, and wait until February or March.

Oliver

Wow Gardengirl, I am humbled by your fishroom! It sounds like a nice setup. I know I would kill a lot of time sitting in a chair in a fish room.

Oliver, you can also drain your tanks into a sump pit. I would have do problem doing that but would syphon into some sort of fine mesh or screen first (in case of fishy syphon accidents).

Oliver, you can also drain your tanks into a sump pit. I would have do problem doing that but would syphon into some sort of fine mesh or screen first (in case of fishy syphon accidents).

We have a sump pit in our basement, but have never needed a pump... we have one of the higher site locations in the neighborhood.

I would think there would be an odor accumulation from the pit as a result of the disposal over time.

I could tap into a cold water line as a supply, but I'd rather have a tank located in an area adjacent to daily movement, rather than the basement... an out of the way place these days,

Oliver

We have a sump pit in our basement, but have never needed a pump... we have one of the higher site locations in the neighborhood.

I would think there would be an odor accumulation from the pit as a result of the disposal over time.

I could tap into a cold water line as a supply, but I'd rather have a tank located in an area adjacent to daily movement, rather than the basement... an out of the way place these days,

Oliver

I would love to have a fishroom so that I could do rescue like Olivia. However, for my fish I have now, I don't know what I would do if they weren't in a tank right beside me right now so I could look at them! LOL! I do alot of work in my study, so I get to see my fish all the time!

Oh man, a dry pit, I only wish. My sump runs at least a couple of times a day. Yep, I bet it would get smelly if it didn't run very often!

My future fish room is on hold, my wife wants a sauna down there!

quote]

Oh man, a dry pit, I only wish. My sump runs at least a couple of times a day. Yep, I bet it would get smelly if it didn't run very often!

My future fish room is on hold, my wife wants a sauna down there!

Yes, a dry sump hole.... but let me tell you about the time a joint burst in our swimming pool filter system while the pool's water pump was running on auto-pilot, sending a jet stream of pool water into the foundation, ultimately,after several hours, finding its way into the basement.

Oliver