Sign in to follow this  
lucky13

Picky Eaters

Hi,

I have three fish who won't eat thier vegtables. The only food they want to eat is wardlys ( not such great food) and plain quakers oats. If i put lettus in they take 1 bite and leave it alone. Same thing with other veg. I don't get it, beacause my friends goldy loves love loves lettus.this is pretty frustrating and i am worried about malnutrition in my fish. what should i do?

What about peas? I nuke them in the microwave in a little water, then gently squeeze out the pea inside the shell and feed them the inside pea stuff..... They love it, but not as much as their regular chow, LOL. Mine are a little picky too. They LOVE frozen bloodworms best of all.

Have you tried other veggies like steamed zuchini or a slice of an orange. My outdoor fish LOVE oranges.

get some spinach.. My fishies get spinach as part of their main diet.. i get the bagged spinach and take leaves out nuk it till its soft and they go crazy! Spinach has been proven to help their digestive track as well :yeah:

Hey Jules,

I was planning on trying spinach for my fish as soon as they are off their med food. How long do you nuke it for; do you put it in tank water and then nuke it?

Like Gardengirl says, Goldies love peas. Make sure you pop out the "meat" only and be careful you don't drop the shells into the tank. As for lettuce, you are supposed to boil it first. However, I don't really think lettuce is a good food anyway as it has almost no nutritional value.

I put a small amount of water in a teapot, put it on a slow boil and drop several peas in it for 30 seconds. Take them out to cool for a bit then shuck them. I did notice that peas will clog the filter sooner.

Edited by aquamann

I have never had a problem with peas clogging my filter. :blink: I usually place the frozen peas on a plate and nuke them for 25 seconds, just enough to thaw them but they are still cool. I then pop them from the skins and barely squeeze them with my fingers. That way, when I put them in the tank, they don't float into pieces. My fish are able to tear bites off and eat it without turning into mush.

When I give my fishies peas I put them in water and stick them in the microwave for 25 seconds, then I take of the shells and squeeze them so that when u put them in the water they fall apart and my tiny oranda can fit the pieces in his mouth, the bigger ones get bigger pieces. My fishies also love cucumber.

Hey Jules,

I was planning on trying spinach for my fish as soon as they are off their med food. How long do you nuke it for; do you put it in tank water and then nuke it?

hey Nickie.. I always get the baby spinach from any grocery store it comes in a big bag.. take a few leaves out nuke it for about 1 min.. in regular water.. 1 min makes it nice and soft and it breaks easily from the stem.. Edited by jewels

Thanks, Jules! I am gonna get some today when I go shopping.

oh, make sure to freeze the bag.. and take from that.. it will last forever that way..

Good idea! I was wondering about that as the only bags they have at my grocery store are pretty big ones! :exactly

Good idea! I was wondering about that as the only bags they have at my grocery store are pretty big ones! :exactly

yeah just take out the spinach and put in a freezer bag.. Ziplock works well and keeps the spinach fresh for every yummy feeding!

I have never had a problem with peas clogging my filter. :blink:

It isn't the peas that fill up the filter with gunk but I think it is the feces from the fish containing pea matter. Maybe it is my method of cooking the peas, I threw out my microwave years ago!!! :wacko:

thanks you guys! We 're goin shopping today so i will see what i can do and report back later

Make sure if you get frozen veggies, that you get ones with no added junk like salt and sugar. I usually get Birdseye brand frozen peas because it is pure peas with no added junk.

Note that Vitiman C is one of the vitimans that can be short in Goldies - pick up some cantaloupe and sweet potatoes - romaine lettuce, and especially bannanas -- the canteloupe and the bannanas they go wild over

Make sure if you get frozen veggies, that you get ones with no added junk like salt and sugar. I usually get Birdseye brand frozen peas because it is pure peas with no added junk.

dont worry about additives, we usualy buy organic

Mixit up a bit. I grind various dry foods with a pill grinder and mush the peas into the powder. add a few drops of vitimans and wala pea and protein burgers. this way they are always getting some peas with every meal. - besides it adds a little color to the food - like greens on a plate....olol

my eating machines love broccoli and zuchinni