Would Peaches Eat "compatible Fish"?

branjie

Hi all,

I have two Orandas Wally and Peaches, who are three years old. So far their only tank mate is an apple/mystery snail. Peaches does peck at the poor snail from time to time, to see if he's for eating. I'm thinking that I'd like to get a couple of BN catfish, and three Dojo Loaches as tank mates, but I'm worried that Peaches will try to eat them. These Orandas have quite large mouths. Do you think that these goldies may eat Dojo Loaches or BN Catfish?

anything that fits in their mouth could become a meal, sometimes they do it on acciedent by opening their mouth at the wrong time and some members have actually had catfish stuck in the goldies mouth, that was with cories but I'd still be careful

I don't think BN catfish would do that, but I would certainly monitor things carefully. I wanted to buy some gold coloured catfish once at a LFS, and the guy said don't get those, they are crazy and attach to your fish. He wouldn't sell many of those catfish with that advice, but at least he was honest.

The fish wouldn't be small enough to fit into the goldies mouths, but given enough harrassment, I'm worried that they could die, and then well... be picked apart. Sorry, that sounds dreadful, but I think that wouldn't be unheard of in the fish world. That's why I was asking.

My tank is 4ft. It turns out that Dojo Loaches aren't available in Australia. Two LFSs have told me that BN catfish are not suitable for coldwater tanks. They don't want to sell me Borneo Suckers (Hillstream Loaches) either saying they come from a hot part of the world and aren't suited to cold water tanks. Looks like I'm not getting any more fish for now after all.