The King Stands Guard

2601angela

I thought I would share some goldie amusement.

Thurston, my male goldie - has a real thing for Lovie - his paired Pearlscale - eat your heart out Gilligan! Anyway over the months Thurston has become extremely protective of Lovie - all of my goldies are taught to trust the hand - some - like Punch enjoy being carassed - as I am sure most of you saw his film on utube. The reason why I make sure they all learn early to trust the hand and not fear being handled; skin types, like Pearlscales, are the most difficult to determine, early, any skin problems- diseases, etc. If they are friendly to the hand - it makes it a lotr easier to handle them and take a quick observation of the body and fins for decay, etc... and catch it early. It can drive you crazy otherwise, when trying to "look them over".

Well; Thurston has become the mirror image of a Meerkat male. When I am checking out Lovie - he will nip and grab at me; while raising his sail fin as high as it will go; letting me know of his displeasure in my handling "His Woman" lol///

In fact - he has - lately shown a side that I have rarely observed in Goldies. When they are fed - He will wait and maintain vigilance over Lovie until she is stuffed. I have a large "cave" orntament in the tank they are housed in - when Lovie goes in to "check things out" inside - He stands guard outside, sailfin extended high in the air - looking away from the opening - like Leona Helmsley standing guard at her hotel...When they rest - they are touching side by side. I have never seen such devotion and dedication between Goldie pairs. Of course their personalities are totally opposite - but that is for another topic.

I have included photos of these observations for your enjoyment. Please excuse the quality in that the images were pulled from a video run. As well; this pair has been seperated into a 28 gallon tank. The algae you see -slightly blurring the glass - is from a bloom I was inducing for Thursaton's sake. He is a sucker for algae - his demand is much greater than I have seen , generally, in goldies. So, in his case, we have allowed some extra bloom - but that does little to improve the Image quality.

Hopefully; you will be able to see, as I do, Thuirston's "intent and serious stance" in the photos - enjoy...

post-10480-1193558999.jpg

aww that is just to adorable! Love birds...i mean love fish! lol that is amazing, I have never see any of my goldfish does that. Lol you should post a video! I would love to see, what did you do to your goldfish?! First punch like being carry in your hand which is amazing and He wont even swim away and now this pair of lovie goldies! Just amazing ....so if you have another male in the tank that chase his woman around? would they start a fight?

In answer to chubbygold - Although - with Thurston has never been in the 55 gallon tanks with the othger males - I be3lieve he would compete for her. I have seen females almost wear out from being chased in other keepers tanks. My 55 gallon tanks have two females and two males. But the most important thing that I have found with these horney mutts is to give plenty of live plants - in my case - to the tanks - this always gives the females an escape place from the males. Then they choose when they wish to come out and tease the males by swimming close enough to allow the tail to pass across their head or under the chin- that usually gets them - the males - going - the little aquateases!!!!

In answer to chubbygold - Although - with Thurston has never been in the 55 gallon tanks with the othger males - I be3lieve he would compete for her. I have seen females almost wear out from being chased in other keepers tanks. My 55 gallon tanks have two females and two males. But the most important thing that I have found with these horney mutts is to give plenty of live plants - in my case - to the tanks - this always gives the females an escape place from the males. Then they choose when they wish to come out and tease the males by swimming close enough to allow the tail to pass across their head or under the chin- that usually gets them - the males - going - the little aquateases!!!!

lol, silly guys lol have to compete when there are enough for 1 each lol. But I find that cute, I usually have more female than male, or same amount of female to male or just all male or all female, lol because less female than the number of male will definitely stress the female out. But plants will definitely help for hiding or getting away. Well I can say that Thurston isa faithful goldie, any lady goldfish that get his heart is just to lucky, most of my goldies are players :rolleyes:

How cute! .. well Jasmine and the koi visiting seem to like each other alot :heart they follow each other everywhere in the tank.. gosh.. I hope Jasmine dont drop eggs and he decides to fertilize.. Ive heard the inbreeds like that are ugly :unsure: (LOL).. that would be something.. Oranda/koi.. ohmy..lol

How cute! .. well Jasmine and the koi visiting seem to like each other alot :heart they follow each other everywhere in the tank.. gosh.. I hope Jasmine dont drop eggs and he decides to fertilize.. Ive heard the inbreeds like that are ugly :unsure: (LOL).. that would be something.. Oranda/koi.. ohmy..lol

lol, hahaha ...imagine this...a koi with whiskers ...and a chubby fat belly...and double tail.....lol but have a face of a koi, lol well haha anyway um well i see a inbreed between a shubunkin and a koi, it look difference, it look like a shubunkin but have at face shape abit like a koi and the bottomis abit flat with whiser, but then it's calico and everything else look like a shubunkin, lol

:lol that is funny..... i would annoy the heck out of my fish if they did that

:rofl I dont think it wil happen though.. maybe in a pond.. but you never know.. Jasmine is awful round these days.. but im not really sure if the koi is even a boy :rofl I just think it" looks like one..lol.. But I know for 110% Jasmine is a gurl..

aww that is just to adorable! Love birds...i mean love fish! lol that is amazing, I have never see any of my goldfish does that. Lol you should post a video! I would love to see, what did you do to your goldfish?! First punch like being carry in your hand which is amazing and He wont even swim away and now this pair of lovie goldies! Just amazing ....so if you have another male in the tank that chase his woman around? would they start a fight?

What did - of do I do - to them- I spoil them beyond sickening rotten. If one gets a little sniffle we gear up for a pandemic- LOL- Punch is very unique- all of mine are taught to be handled from the first day here. I mentioned why I do that at the beginning of this topic - Generally - however - none are so demanding for attemtion like Punch is- But that is ok - I have to catch myself once amnd a while - in a kinda - maybe - push a little to find another like Punch - I have to be on guard with myself about that -

Reading this made me smile :) What cuties! I have seen a pair of goldfish like this before. Two quite large commons came into my store as "donations"and would never leave eachothers side, shared their food,etc. Luckily my manager is a caring person and we immediately marked them as a pair that had to be sold together or not at all. Happy ending, they were sold together to a pond. I really wish I had brought them home now. You're lucky to have so many personable and unique fish, lol!

(By the way, naming them after the characters on Gilligans' Island is very cool :) )