What Does Culling Mean?

Shamu23

as mentioned spawns can be quite large. Especially when you are talking about bettas who can have 100 fry at time. The main reason for culling ,if you breed ,is to elimnate a deformaties in your line when breeding. Maybe the fish has a spoonhead default, bent spine etc. that is not wanted in your gene pool when establishing or carring on your line You do not want the fish causing some of the same faults or others in future spawns. I have some betta breeder friends and most of them have a culling fish they feed the culls to, like a flower horn or oscar ,perhaps who will eat the culls. Some breeders chose to adopt out as pets only some of their fish they would normally cull.It is a neccessary evil of breeding. That is how I got my platinum Girl Cloud. My breeding friend offered some of the fish he was going to cull for adoption.

1241221119_7eb626f17e.jpg

I bet this guy would normally be culled. He only survived because he's a feeder and feeder breeders probably don't care as much what they look like. :o

He's a double tailed common first of all and has 2 ventral fins as well. His dorsal bends back a bit and there's a kink in the right side of his tail. The overall body shape is just plain funky but he moves around good and has no trouble swimming. To me he's special because of his uniqueness and I love him sooo much! :heart

Chubbygold do you have pix of your different looking guppies that you can post (maybe in the tropical section)? It would be cool to see them. :)

1241221119_7eb626f17e.jpg

I bet this guy would normally be culled. He only survived because he's a feeder and feeder breeders probably don't care as much what they look like. :o

He's a double tailed common first of all and has 2 ventral fins as well. His dorsal bends back a bit and there's a kink in the right side of his tail. The overall body shape is just plain funky but he moves around good and has no trouble swimming. To me he's special because of his uniqueness and I love him sooo much! :heart

Chubbygold do you have pix of your different looking guppies that you can post (maybe in the tropical section)? It would be cool to see them. :)

ok I will post it sometime, I still ahve some nice guppies but mostly all are all mixed together now so they dont loo kas good anymore. that double tails common look so awesome haha, it look different and ..welll unique i guess, there are white stuff or dot on his tail. waht is it?

Edited by chubbygold

Very cute! :D I also got some doubletailed fry this year.

Since my fish have fry every summer I have learned to cull. Luckily there hasn't been many severe deformities, and the "special" ones, the doubletails and telescope eyes, I keep and sell the "normal" ones to my LFS.

I can not euthanize grown fish though, my hubby will have to take care of that...