What Does Culling Mean?

Shamu23

I was wondering what it means to cull fish, I thought it meant to kill them (which I think is totally wrong!), but on koishack they told me that it just means to get rid of them by giving them away.....is that true? :unsure:

Edited by Shamu23

Well, to cull means to remove a fish from your system. This removal can come from "killing" the fish or it can be culled by selling or giving the fish away.

Since goldfish, like many other creatures in life, have 1000s of babies at each spawning, it is simply not possible to keep all that are produced. Also, because of the 1000 year cultivation and tweaking that the goldfish genetic makeup has undergone, goldfish will often produce a very LARGE number of non-viable babies - or fish that do not meet the specifications for their specific breed. These babies commonly simply do not survive, anyway. Nature "culls" them.

culls is like eliminate, choosing, most fish breeder, they have to culls fry because most of the time they came out deform or genetic mess up. It's best not to keep them or they will continue the mess up gene and pass down, sometiem those fish are not best quality, and most of them die soon, most peopel culls it by killing it, they can shock them by dropping the fish in freezing cold water, they will shock and die right away.

Okay, so freezing them is one way to kill off the culls. Are there other more humane ways??? When I was at a betta show a few years ago, there was this guy there bragging about flushing his unwanted fry down the toilet. I thought it was so gross.......

Okay, so freezing them is one way to kill off the culls. Are there other more humane ways??? When I was at a betta show a few years ago, there was this guy there bragging about flushing his unwanted fry down the toilet. I thought it was so gross.......

I think that's terrible. Fish aren't turds; they shouldn't be disposed as such. I use clove oil.

You can use an over dose of anesthesia - clove oil or other type medication...... to put down unwanted fry.

If care is not used in management, the spawning, itself will self-cull - the stronger eating the smaller/weaker..... Or overcrowding, overcompetion for food will take down the weaker....

Fish breeding is not without heart ache - it involves lots of soul searching and sacrifice. Many fish are "born" but only a very select few can make it to adulthood - either because of genetic problems, overcrowding, selection or culling. The fish produces far more babies than nature would ever allow to grow to adulthood, too - for so many do succumb to predetation, disease and such before they reach adulthood.

IT is never a good idea to breed fish just to create fish. There is little market and very little place in this world for fish that are "less than". The short life of a feeder fish is a sad, tortured thing - not something I would ever be willing to create. So breeding should be done for a reason - with reasonable expectations that the results will be a viable beauty that furthers the goldfish world.

To get these beauties, though, it takes 1000s. I had about 4000 Broadtail Ryukin fry to get my 4 select ones that I will keep and breed in my line. I sold about 100 better spawn mates to a good fish store - as good quality, semi-show fish. I sold another 75 to a "lower" end fish store as general "pets". All were good, strong, pretty, healthy fish - but, for one reason or another were not going to be show winners.... The rest of the 4000 did not make it - they were culled by nature or me.

I had better luck with my Lionhead spawnings. I had only about 1000 of them - and over 200 made it to stores or friend's tanks. (I kept 4 - one has since died) SO much depends on the line of fish.

Culling is a necessary evil. If the breeder does not do it, nature will. I cannot imagine anyone being able to keep 40000 gallons of water for a spawning of fish!

well, it's not freezing them, if you put them in teh freezer and let them slowly suffer the cold and then freeze, that is pretty unhumane, because theywill suffer more, but if it's very cold water, dropping fish in it will shock them and die quickly, less suffer, it's nto the best way, there are other ways, you can buy medication or w/e

one thing is that it's very hard for me to cull fish, so in my tropical fish tank, i let them take care of them sell, teh live bearer which is my guppies will give birth to fry adn then eat them, but most of them survive nad pretty surprising that they get quiet big and then turn out to be an adult fish. Most of them doesn't look the best. some have mess up strain and came out very weird, mess up tail shapes and pattern/color

Edited by chubbygold

ok makes sense, I think i'd rather just let them die naturally, I couldnt bring myself to kill a living creature

Yeah I guess, but if a pro breeder, they will have to cull them or learn to, they can't let poor quality or deform fish to survive, when they are bigger, it's might take abit more of heartless to kill them. Most of them wont die naturally. They will live on even if they are deform or poor quality, well except for cross breed between guppies and mollies or platies I forgot, the fry will grow up and die soon because of genetic mess up. The thing is that most fish came out deform and for them it's actually suffering to live on.

Oh gosh talking about mess up or deform fry, my guppies once gave birth to a "two-headed" fry! The fry came out with 1 body but 2 heads. Struggle to swim, and it's almost like they are ripping each other apart! I didn't kill them, I feed them and put them alone because they are weaker than the rest. Feed them, but they died in 2 weeks.

some things just have to be done. its more humane for the deformed ones, and even if you let the poor things live they have a high sickness rate and will be a haven for all sorts of sicknesses that can spread to other fish. its just annother form of evolution. :)

When I was breeding guppies, culling was an weekly chore.

I chose to feed a few fry to my koi at the time, but gave most of them to my friend who kept an Oscar.

It is hard to cull, but you have to ask yourself, do you really want to see this attribute in EVERY single goldfish in the world? As unlikely as that seems, if the gene's released into the gene pools, there's a chance many goldfish could look like that in the future.

Culling will become a little bit easier when you consider the improvements you'll be making on goldfish worldwide.

lol like I said, you will learn to, lol I cant really directly killing them, and it's not like I want them to die, I cant kill them because it's really hard for me quite sad, so I just let them live with the adults, the strong one will survive, weak one will die, just how nature should be.

Edited by chubbygold

yeah I agree, I just dont have the heart to kill another living thing, although I was willing to euthanize Bubbles my red cap oranda when he had dropsy right before he died he seemed to be suffering horribly, he was laying on his side, gills not moving but he'd twitch every 4 seconds or so, I couldnt stand seeing one of my best friends suffering like that, I didnt have any clove oil though and thats the only way I would have done it

Guest Halloween

If you don't want to kill them because they don't look 'perfect' to some one else, don't. :) When I buy fish I LOOK for obvious cull survivors. Those are the ones that really deserve a home. Unless of course you are trying to improve a strain or even make one. I can't kill anything if it's physically healthy so there's no way I could breed for perfection. Just for fun and cuteness.

Lol halloween - I keep guppies, and they first all come in good strain, liek snake skin, HB, albinon, and all this great strains and now they are all mess up, all mix together, bad tails, bad strain and color nad pattern, btu I keep them anyway because I let them live with the adult and htey did survive lol so they earn their rights to live lol and I love them all the same

yeah I agree, I just dont have the heart to kill another living thing, although I was willing to euthanize Bubbles my red cap oranda when he had dropsy right before he died he seemed to be suffering horribly, he was laying on his side, gills not moving but he'd twitch every 4 seconds or so, I couldnt stand seeing one of my best friends suffering like that, I didnt have any clove oil though and thats the only way I would have done it

yeah..well in your case is different, you are actually helping him to end the pain and suffering, because he wouldn't make it, just a last breath of pain is just suffering.

Edited by chubbygold

hopefully I wont have any fry next year that need to be culled

lol well, sometime you dont have to, you can raise them until the yare bit older than sell them to LFS or give soem to friends, neighbors, and so on, lol but I dont think you can always keep all the fry, you wont have enough space for them.

I wont keep them all, i'll give them away to my fav lfs, but everyone here that has goldfish keep them in bowls so Im not giving any to those people!!!!!

that is good, lol pic ka good LFS, yeah, most people I know friends,neighbors, or relatives, most of them keep goldfish in a tiny little bowl or 1 - 2 or 3 gallon, when I told them to upgrade it, it's way to small and the fish will die soon, they find it offensive O____O and called me rude, well to bad......

my fav lfs is awesome, they take good care of all their fish and they know lots about fish too, they even have special barebottom setups with sponge filters for the goldies instead of undergravel filters which they use for the tropicals