Omg, This Is So Weird!

Shamu23

Well, this morning while I was watching one of my bettas he all of a sudden started opening and closing his mouth and each time he did that he made a sound! It sounded kinda like when u hit metal against metal. I didnt know bettas could do that or is mine just a little weird lol. He did that about 10 minutes after I changed his water. Was he trying to tell me something?

I have never heard mine make noise but that is not to say they can't. I do know that they have a bone like tongue and maybe they are making clicking sounds with their mouth. Mine do the same gulping thing sometimes. I have heard of a freind of mine who says his betta has nipped his hand before with his togue

from the betta talk website

The mouth

Every time I look closely at a betta?s face, I think of bulldogs. Of course bettas are prettier, but still, their jaw is proportionally just as impressive. The lower jaw is powerful and will shred any live worms, mosquito larva, brine shrimp, etc? The mouth is perfectly designed and positioned to devour as well as to blow bubbles, which, as you all know by now, is two of Mr. Betta?s favorite pass times. :) Bettas are voracious and if you ever try to stick your whole arm in a 60 gal tank filled with adult bettas, you will know just what I mean. AOUTCH!!!! Those guys keep biting the inside of my arm and it hurts! Like needles. Used to make it hard for me to care for my live plants. I have nicknamed them ?my little piranhas? hehehehe. The same jaws can do wonders on another betta?s fins. One of my females once SHREDDED a gorgeous DT male to the point where he had no fins left. He looked like a female!! I was told by the Animal Planet crew that proprotionally, bettas had bigger and stronger jaws than... JAWS himself. Watch out great white sharks, here comes the bettas! It's a good thing bettas are small, cause on a larger scale they would be quite a handful! The might is lined with pointy teeth that work kinda like a paper shredder: CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP. When bettas latch on to each other's fins they do not let go. Actually the fins will tear and the aggressor usually leaves the scene with a nice chunk of fin in his mouth, which he then proceeds to promptly gobble up (remember what I said? Fighting and eating are their favorite pass times LOL).

But there is more to the mouth than meet the eyes. Beyond that intimidating row of sharp teeth, lays a warm, safe place for the fry. For the bettas will carry their young inside that same mouth formerly used to chew up their food and rivals. How such an aggressive fighter can be such a gentle parent is always a sort of amazement to me. How can a male catch his falling fry in his mouth and then gently take them back to the nest and spit them out, alive and well, without harming them? Ahhhhh... The wonders of mother nature. What's most, how come the fry don't get stuck between his teeth? I always wondered about that, until the day I caught a betta (late at night) discretely flossing ;P. Because bettas floss on a regular basis, they never get cavities. Hence you will not have to worry about ever having to take your betta to the dentist LOL. So bettas are a low maintenance pet. (I think I need a vacation)...

OK so maybe the part about flossing was not exactly true, but everything else up and until

wow I have never heard of that and I haven't heard my betta make a sound. I haven't named my newest betta yet maybe I should call him Jaws HA HA.. Leah.

thats interesting, my bettas have never bit me lol, he hasnt made that sound again but for some reason he's bottom sitting and I cant figure out why.

he's in a 1 gallon bowl, he's always been a very happyand active fish now suddenly he's lazy and has his fins clamped, I dunno whats wrong :( He hasnt made the sound again either

he's always had plenty of space in the bowl, theres no way I can get another tank, although if only my mom would get me a bigger tank for Taco, then I would move my tigerbarbs in the 10 gallon and one of my bettas (probably Strawberry since he's the most active) in the 5 gallon. I always try to match temp as close as possible and ph is the same, this morning he was just hanging around the top only moving his head every 5 minutes or so to get air. I finally got his attention with my finger and got him to move, but somethings defianently wrong with him, I just cant figure out what and why......

I hope he gets better soon. I am only new to keping bettas so I haven't got a clue what it wrong with him. How many tanks do you have? It sound like you really love all your fish and take good care of them. Leah

I have 10 tanks, 3 of them are betta tanks. I love all my fishies so much, theres nothing I wouldnt do for them! My betta is still not feeling any better although he did move around a tiny bit this morning and when I came home from school he turned his head to look at me :)

he's still eating, the water is still the same I think, I dont have thermometers on my betta tanks (I think its time to get some), but i've dealt so much with fish and water temps, I can usually tell if its too cold just by stickng my hand in the water, it seems fine, same temp as always, the water in my goldfish tanks have actually gone up from 75 to 77, so its not getting colder inside. He's a bit more active now after another 100% waterchange. I'll keep an eye on him and hopefully he wont get worse. He's never been like this, he's always beens wimming happily around his bowl ever since I got him. And yes, I really do love my fish, if I could I'd give my goldfish 50 gallons each and 5 gallons for each betta, but sadly I cant provide that much space for my fishies.

I dunno, I got him this year. Now he occasionally lays on his side on the bottom or just hangs near the surface, I treated with melafix for 2 days but then stopped cause he didnt seem to be reacting well to it although I might try again soon, I just dont know whats wrong with him, he's not eating :cry1

wow, he's still pretty young, so i don't really know. I sure hope he pulls through! I would keep his water in pristine condition, and keep the temp very stable at about 78-80 degrees.

keep us posted on how he's doing. I will keep my fingers crossed that he gets better!

Archived