My "fry" Just Spawned.....

daryl

These are the four best broadtail fry I had hatched last February 14th...... and they spawned today! ACK! I am not saving any of the eggs - though there must be at least 1000 fertile ones there! - for they are all siblings. The mother fish has "abberations" I do not wish to perpetrate - and wanted to breed these gusy back to the dad come spring......

This is ridiculous. Now I have to change out that messy tank.

Whew.

What a mess......

I simply wipe all the eggs off the glass, and do a large water change - in this case, since the tank was cleaned only the day before, a 75% water change sufficed. I have, at times of large spawnings with full adult fish, had to pull the fish to a holding tub, and change out more water. These guys are just too little to do that much mess - they are only about 2 inches in body......

Still - the ammonia does climb quickly when spawning. Anytime you see eggs, it is wise to test your water. A spawn can often overcome even the strongest colony of BB in the nitrogen cycle!

:)

Whoa! That's crazy! I have had my fish for a while now and they have never spawned. I guess I just have the right conditions for it right now. But I plan to breed them once we get into our new house. I don't envy you your mess :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

What HAVE you been putting in the water this year, woman?! :rofl It's still so ironic (and funny!) to me that around this time last year you posted about having the exact opposite problem. You know what they say - be careful what you wish for, lol.

Now I'd better start keeping an eye on my fry, as they are only 2 days older than yours and we've been having some fairly extreme temp fluctuations this week. Man, I do NOT want to have to clean an egg mess in my 135g. :krazy:

Lisa