Sign in to follow this  
dickey_moe

Enjoying My Little Shell Dwellers

I'm happy for Eastwood. :heart He was way to nice for his rough neighbourhood.

I really love this topic. This is the first soap opera that I ever liked :rofl

Don't forget the lei's and the poi! :D

DIRTY DEEDS!

I was sitting down watching t.v. and a motion out of the corner of my eye made me look at my shellies. Mumsy and Rickey were trying to kill one of their fry!! They had it away from the shells and were taking turns nipping it. The poor thing was so scared it was trying to get away by swimming into the glass. It ducked into a crevice, but Mumsy went in after it and chased it out again. Then She and Rickey drove the poor thing off to the back of the tank where it finally found a place to hide in between a shell and the glass.

The fry is still alive, somewhere. it is not hiding where I last saw it, but I have some doubt that this little one could survive such a beating. They were really hitting the poor thing hard! When he swam away, he was not swimming well. I think he is badly injured.

I do not know what could have sparked this reaction, but the whole tank seems aggressive tonight....and Mumsy, seems frisky. Could it be the little fry was in a shell that she wanted to lay eggs in? She is fanning her tail at Rickey and there is always a little aggression involved . I saw her rush one of the reflection Shellies. The other fry are lying low and trying to stay out of sight, even the larger ones.

Mumsy is popping her jaw and chattering her mouth, I would love to sneak the microphone in there. One thing I have noticed about the jaw popping is that it almost always results in another fish popping back. The whole tank seems to be on alert. Brad has been keeping an eye on that end of the tank.

I have noticed that what height a fish occupies in the tank seems to matter. It's as if there is a rule that reads: Small fish cannot go up higher than big fish. Whenever one of the small fish goes up too high (it's usually Bart) a big fish will come over and make them come down, sometimes by nipping them.

Bart is now in possession of the Scallop shell. Including the one shell that Rickey was claiming. Bart has found a way to have it all! First of all, he has Brad's protection. When he feels like taunting Rickey, he goes up too high or pops his jaw too much or makes some small aggressive display. Rickey will rush right over to take him on, and Brad will come too. the two males will face off for a second (Bart will be all puffed up and hiding under Brad), then everyone goes back to what he was doing. Bart will also go into Rickey's one shell and Rickey tolerates it because he's a fry.

I think Bart is in for a rude awakening somewhere down the line. He can get away with that stuff now because he is not a threat to anyone. But sooner or later he is going to learn the awful truth: Brad owns the scallop shell.

Here's what's going on with Eastwood: He has a honey! I took one of the smaller fry out and put her in his tank. I think he is in love . He left his nice cozy shell to go take another shell closer to her. She doesn't seem frightened or worried. I named her Daisy. She's so cute!

I wanted to take Minnie out but she has a fry rooming with her. So I took another one of the triplets instead. She had a dirty brown algae shell, I didn't want to put it in Eastwood's nice clean tank. Luckily, when she got a look at the nice new shells in her new tank, she abandoned it an moved into the new one. I was able to grab the ugly thing out, but it is probably too late and the tank will soon be brown. :(

ooh the little shmucks! Bitten and scorned by his/her own parents :mad: and all that jaw cracking and popping :argue: Eastwood and his girl are well out of that! Not so funny she chose a nice clean new shell, most girls would pick a new house over an old dirty one :o:D Now you'll have to report on the unfolding of twin TWO towns' happenings. I hope the shunned fry gets better and goes on to be mayor where he can set about imposing button/shell taxes and expanding and improving the family/social welfare system.

Trinket: :rofl His first act as Mayor would be to declare a zero tolerance policy on child abuse (or fry abuse) and Mumsy and Rickey would go straight to jail.

I don't know if the poor thing lived or not. If it is dead somewhere, Mumsy will drag it out so it dosen't pollute their neighborhood. There is no evidence of a crime, so any lawyer could get them off on Habeas Corpus. :D

The only witness to the beating (Me) will swear that the fry was alive when last seen.

I have a feeling your tank is full of organized crime ..kinda like the sopranoes ..that is why I belive poor eastwood had to go into the witness protection program ...they had planned to whack him ..Brad is raising Bart to be his thug and to do all the dirty work .but eastwood knew too much ..but yes Bart will get in over his head he acts before he thinks ..I would like to see if mob life is cut out for him ...I wonder how long it will take Brad to realize that bart is trying to weasel his spot to the top of the family ..stay tuned ... :D ..........ok back to housework :rofl

MUMSY DEAREST.

Mumsy tries to whack (i mean eat) a fry.

Here's what happened: I saw a commotion in the tank, and turned to see Mumsy harrassing another fry. (or maybe the same fry) this time I already had my camera out and aimed at the tank so I managed to get the thing turned on , but not before she gulped up the fry. (Mumsy is in the foreground.)

When the video begins, she actually has the fry in her mouth! then she spits it out and both she and Rickey try to chase it down until I tapped the glass.

Mumsy went back to her shell, and hovered there popping her jaw at me. ( you can see them both popping, they were soooo p.o.'d) you can see the little fry making for the crevice between two shells on the left.

The poor little fry escaped with it's life, but was hunted by Mumsy for a while afterward.Fry in hiding

We cannot judge Mumsy too harshly, Nature is red in tooth and claw and she had her reasons.

That little fry may have threatened the babies or even ate one. She is a very aggressive little guardian. She is one mean mama.

Of course now I have video evidence of their misdeeds :D It clearly shows that Rickey was an accomplice. They were caught red-finned!

the little victim is still alive... I did him a favor and turned the light off. Mumsy goes into her shell at night. Come the dawn, and all bets are off. hopefully he will find a good hiding spot.

Edited by Chickey

Oh My, this is a violent story!

:rofl I was looking into the tank today and a little movement caught my eye! It was the little fry that Mumsy beat up! he moved aaalllll the way over to a spot past Brad! But just imagine my surprise when a second face peeked out at me :lol1 the first fry too?? it's too funny!

It's funny that they chose to stay together in the same shell.

We will see how long they get to stay there. They are living dangerously in Brad's territory. It is not clear if Brad is aware of the little squatters, he is busy trying to take Rickey's shell away from him (the one next to the scallop shell) Or perhaps Bart is causing trouble over there to provide cover for their getaway. He knows what it's like to be unwanted.

Janet seems to know they are there, but she is keeping mum.

I will help them during their waterchange tomorrow, I just got a big shipment of shells to put in there. I will make sure there are plenty of them over there to create small places for them to hide in. One of them is hovering up a little too high and Brad is sure to see him!!

So, Mumsy and Rickey are off the hook. :)

There was an old Fishy who lived in a shoe..

She had so many Fry she didn't know what to do..

As hard as She'd beat 'em

She couldn't deplete 'em

Who could blame her for a nibble or two??

Rach, I read this whole topic last night and I was having fits of giggles!!

What silly, violent little fish!! Very dramatic!

I love how Eastwood sorted and stacked the buttons.

So what's the headcount now? I kinda lost track. :P

o.k. Fry census: first group born around Jan 1. 3 surviving: Bart, Angelina, Nancy

second group born around 3-20 4 surviving: Minnie, Pesky, Daisy (now with Eastwood) and an un-named fry.

Third group born some time in April: My best count is 13 None have names.

fourth group born around 6-1: My best count tonight is 5.

so 25 fry of various ages and 4 adults.

One of my little runaways is not showing himself tonight, I will keep an eye open for him.

I found him! he has his own shell. Unfortunately the other fry was not so lucky. Janet (who shall be known as Nancy from here on out since I don't call her Janet) drove the little fry out of his shell. I guess it belongs to her.

I am boiling some shells right now....

All the new shells are in the tank. They have all been very busy today exploring the insides.

Brad has noticed the fry in his area and has decided they are not worth bothering with. Nan/Jan thinks they should get lost, so she chased them further away. Much to my surprise there are now three runaways in that end of the tank. The small brown shell that held the smaller of the first two was taken over by this new fry who chased the small one out. The little guy is rooming with his original runaway companion.

The third fry must be the one who got the big smack-down last night. Mumsy is continuing her reign of terror on her small helpless offspring. Last night she pulled the "no wire hangers" routine on one of the fry, but instead of beating him with a hanger she used him AS the hanger and beat up a couple of shells that must have annoyed her. He made himself scarce.

There has also been a shake-up on the homefront: Two of the new babies moved out of the shell they were hatched in and moved in with that big bunch of fry in Rickey's shell. I found one of them this morning in another shell further away, i have not seen the second one. They must have got a good look at what they were in for later and decided to get the heck out of there. There are 3 babies still in the baby shell.

I have noticed something: When there are a bunch of fry in the shell, the big ones hog all the food and I think that is why I see such size differences beyond just the male and female. Some of the fry are significantly smaller. For a while I thought they were from eggs that hatched at a different time. That may still be true, buT I think it is more likely that they were lower in the pecking order. The big fry stay at the front of the shell and the smaller at the back. Less food gets through to them.

It's to a fry's advantage to live alone....so why don't they?? I am starting to think it' s a matter of how many fry can fit into a space. If that is true then I might not be doing them any favors by giving them a nice big shell to hide in. The more fry in a space, the more competition there is for the food and you end up with runts. Two or three fry in a shell would do better until they started to grow and then they would quarrel until someone moved out. They must quarrel less in a big space because they have been together for quite a while, and are just now beginning to break up.

I have counted as many as 11 fry in the big shell at one time. Now there is probably 6 or so regulars. The ones who got pushed out are the ones who have incurred the wrath of Mumsy. They are going into her baby shell, and the shells nearby. She really has it in for the fry that go into the baby shell! She must know what I am just now suspecting.....the big ones will get the baby's food! They are wary enough to stay out of reach of her jaws. She is always darting towards them as if to say : Sooner or later, you're gonna slip up and then I am pull you out and beat you silly.

I am trying to keep track of the little ones as they go out, so I can squirt some extra food in their direction.

Yeah, they are busy. sooner or later I will be overwhelmed by their fry and I won't know who is who anymore. I only know who they are by the shells they live in and the areas they hang around in, and the little ones move around alot. I am not too sure that NanJan and Angelina are who I think... they could have switched places for all I know.

How am I going to name and keep track of 13 fry??? It will be fun trying.

I was thinking of buying some of those long picks that they use to pin sandwiches together and make little flags to stick in the sand next to their shells. :D or maybe tiny little mailboxes..

someday soon my little diagrams will look like a football play.

I see you have been visited by the Tank Fairy? Lucky you! Maybe the Tank Fairy will visit me and I can put all my unruly fry in it and let them sort themselves out.

everytime I see your diagrams ..I picture a war generel with a big pointy stick pointing out enemy grounds and uncharted territory .. :rofl sorta like the game of Risk

:exactly

Penguin likes to play Risk and he's always trying to get me to play with him. It's like an ever-changing territory war--- a game of WORLD DOMINATION. Or at least tank domination. :P

What do they call the winner of risk? cuz Brad OWNS the tank!

:rofl thats great , much too lofty for him! He's more of the "Bada-Bing" type.

Mumsy evicts more fry

There is a little exile community of 5 fry down in the back of "Da Boss's" territory. I don't know how they manage to find each other, but they are all together.

Nan/Jan knows they're there, and is shaking them down . She is turning into a toady.

In fact, the two large fry who are left in Mumsy's area,( Pesky and unamed one) are getting very good at "Toadying" themselves. Rickey seems to have used them to hunt out the fry that were hiding in the small spaces that he cannot fit into. I must say they had no trouble doing it. They were gleefully threading themselves through all of the crevices and poking into all the nooks and crannies. they have taken their place in the community and are defending it against whatever theat Mumsy and Rickey Identify. I guess they are staying put, as no one has given them their eviction notice. Brad still doesn't like Pesky but will not attack the one I haven't named yet.

Da Boss went down and had a look at the little waifs, and he left them alone. He is always looking to expand his crime family, so I guess he will get them while they're young.

FRY GRAVEYARD FOUND

A fry was found dead in an isolated corner of the tank today. Investigators at the scene were shocked to find another body just a short distance away from the first.

The tank owner speculates that these fry may have been runaways that had been seen in the area; citing several evictions that were witnessed over the last week.

Police state that no immediate cause of death could be determined, but at least one of the deaths appeared to be suspicious. As of this time, police do not believe the two deaths to be related.

Based on witness testimony of beatings that occured just before the bodies were found, several Shellies were brought in for questioning but had to be released due to lack of evidence.

Two suspects have been identified: Rickey and Mumsy Shellie. The couple lived very close to the gravesite, and were seen abusing their fry on at least two occasions. Police claim to

have credible video evidence of both of the beatings, and are trying to determine the whereabouts of the pairs numerous children.

THe Coroner examined the smaller of the two victims and concluded that the smaller fry died from what she termed " A disproportionate perception of eye size relative to gastric capacity". She

pointed out that a very large adult brine shrimp had been ingested and could not be passed through the tiny fry's system. There was ample physical evidence to conclude: "Death by Misadventure".

THe Shellie community will not rest until the gill-ty parties are brought to justice. :D