Sign in to follow this  
dickey_moe

Enjoying My Little Shell Dwellers

Ha Ha! I forgot not everyone has seen those old Star Trek shows! :D !!

Well I missed the big trial Rachel but read all about it in the Peyton Shelldweller Post above. It sounds like the verdict was a little "off" and Momsie and Rickey live to fry another fry :blink: which is definitely tribbling.

Trinket: Fry the Fry! :rofl

Operation Fry Lift goes off without a hitch.

I set up another tank in the kitchen for the overflow of Mumsy's babies. It now houses all the fry who were fomerly in fry town, I think there are 11 or 12 little fish in the tank. I can tell you that I am not thrilled about having another tank to look after. :( But this tank is necessary. I have to gradually lower the PH in this tank to get it to the same as the fish store. I am not thrilled about that either. I think they should be kept in the water they were meant to be in. I have to do this if I am ever going to find homes for them.

If I remember right, when I first got these little fish they were in a neutral tank. It wasn't until a few weeks had gone by that I found out what their needs were. It didn't seem to harm them, so maybe they will be O.K.

But what a headache. I have 3 goals for these fish:

1. lower the PH

2. get rid of the worms

3. get them into clean shells (no brown algae)

My strategy for lowering the PH is to stop using the Proper PH product and rely soley on baking soda to keep the ph up. Then I can slowly and gradually lower the dosage of baking soda to get the lower PH. It will be very sloooooow.

The tank is infested with micro-worms. Someone said the worms would make great food for my shellie babies, but they didn't say that the darn worms would establish a breeding colony in the tank.! They float all over the place, and crawl up the glass. and I suppose the babies do eat them, but I can't give that headache to someone else. So I am salting the main tank and the fry tank to kill the buggers off once and for all. Eastie Beastie doesn't seem to have much of a problem with them in his tank, but I will salt that tank too to prevent them from ever coming back.

Just before they go to the LFS, I will have to de-shell them and put them in clean shells. It will make them more attractive to a buyer.

My goal for myself: Finish that Shellie care sheet to hand out to their new owners.

with all of that done, I think it will be the best chance my little fish will get.

The little ones are very unhappy with their new home. It is a far cry from their cozy little tank. There is no sand on the floor and that turned out to be a mistake. The shells just rock and roll in the current. It made the kiddies very nervous. I boiled some glass globs and put them in there to prop up and stabilize the shells. After they got over the nervous breakdowns that I caused with all those globs hitting the bottom, they seemed to settle down and

a few brave souls ventured out to have a look around. And a few truly rattled souls came out to dart around like gibbering idiots. It will be a while before I know exactly how many I have there. There may even be a few very tiny newbies in there too.

The big tank looks strangely empty without the little ones. :( (all are gone except #10 who refuses to be dislodged from Mumsy's shell.) The most affected is NanJan. She has no one to boss around and keeps facing that direction as if the little ones are going to come out of the few shells that are left. She certainly enjoyed keeping them in line. I even took the two small recruits that NanJan invited to live in Brad's domain.

NanJan has lost her purpose in life but it's O.K., Mumsy has noticed that the tank is dangerously underpopulated and she is busy restoring the

population. NanJan will soon have a whole new regiment of Toadies in Training.

I also sent Pesky to the fry tank for his own safety. He (or she) had actually managed to establish himself in frytown. I think he is a male and would have become the boss down there. Brad was uneasy about him and was always keeping tabs on him. (He was fond of attacking him when he lived in Rickey's area.)

So who is left?

Mumsy and Rickey . Mumsy has babies in the shell right now and seems to be interested in adding to them. Her fry seem to be in 2 different shells. I was able to count to ten when I first saw them. I only see 4 of them now, but that doesn't mean anything.

#10 This is one stubborn little fry. Despite Rickey haunting him, He will not budge from Mumsy's area.

Patty. This is the little un named fish that has been staying in Mumsy and Rickey's area. I finally named her.

With Brad:

Angelina (who doesn't seem to be growing)

NanJan

and Bart (who may actually be a Lisa)

and Eastwood? He is happy with Minnie and Daisy. :)

HAHAHAHAHA. It took me a while, but I think I'm all caught up on these guys. I don't even know what to say, but its been a fun read :-)

Well now.... I checked in on the family and noticed something: Ten has been evicted! The shell he/she was in, was pressed up close to another shell leaving only a sliver of space that the little fish could go in and out of, but was too small for Rickey to enter (hence his frustration). Rickey was forced to harass the fry from the outside only. When I looked at the shell it was clear that the gap had widened to Rickey-size. He must have pried himself in there to get the hapless fry out.

Ten has appeared in Brad's area just on the edge that is shared with Rickey and Mumsy. Rickey still attacks Ten whenever he can and keeps a close eye on him.. It took him so long to get Ten out, he doesn't want him back for round two.

Much to my surprise, delight, dismay (take your pick) another Ten sized fry has appeared in Brad's area. I don't know where this one came from!! Could it be that there were two holdouts in Ten's shell? It is possible, I can see a shell right now that has a smaller fry in it, (younger than Ten, older than the newbies) he has been living unseen right under Mumsy's nose. It will be interesting to see how long he can last in hiding.

Ten has moved into Brad's Pad, and is quarrelling with Bart for space. Patty has moved there too.

NanJan has claimed the mystery fry for "Toady Apprentice", and now with someone to boss around She is very happy. There is a another potential Toady in her area because some of Mumsy's newbie fry are starting to move out now (they are still very tiny). There is also another fry about the same size as the hidden one skidding around looking for a shell of his own.

I am happy to see green in the tank (finally!) I hope it replaces the gunky brown.

Eastwood and his babes are as happy as ever, and the fry in the kitchen have settled down. I can count 13 of them in there. I also may have found a pet store for them!!

GOOD GRIEF.

Another Ten-sized fry has materialized in Rickey's shell. Ten and the two mystery fry are probably from that one big spawn that Musy had. There are 9 fry in the fry tank from that same bunch.

Who's next? Jimmy Hoffa?

Shellie update:

I have found a pet store to take my little ones!! It is about an hour's ride from here, but they will be kept in an isolated tank and in the right water! At last!

The owner of the pet store thinks they will go fast and she wants me to keep them for a little longer until they are a bit bigger. We are coming to the point where they are feeling crowded in the tank so I think I will get going soon.

The brown algae is gone, I don't see any worms and that takes care of 2 of my goals. The one that has been the hardest to achieve is getting the ph down. It wont budge from 8.2-8.4 It has to be the shells, because I am not using the PH product anymore in that tank. Hopefully this won't be a problem for the folks at the fish store. If keeping them seperate is not possible, the Owner has plans to "trickle" them till they are in the same water.

For those of you who don't know what "trickling" is : It's a method of slowly adding water of one ph to a tank or container of another ph which is being siphoned off at the same time and at the same slow rate. Eventually the water in the container is replaced by the new. Since it is a slow process it is safe for the fish, they become aclimated gradually to the new water which is coming in so slowly it really is just a trickle.

I hope all goes well :gcar:

There has been a big change in the tank: Brad has moved to the back of the scallop shell. I don't know why he did this. I think he objects to my presence now that I am not around much (I have 2 jobs) or he dosen't like the magnafloat that I use to keep the algae off the front of the tank. Anyway he is having scads of fun going back and forth behind it. I think he thinks that it's a path to another tank or something and he is really not getting that it is the same tank because it looks wrong to him or something. Oh well, it keeps him amused.

More fry have turned up. I call these the July fry because that's when they were born. They are so good at hiding I am still not sure of thier number. I count 6 possibly as many as 9 since some are only glimpsed here and there. Rickey is busy hunting down the holdouts in his area, so every day there is a new fry at the other end.

Little Ten nearly hid itself out of existence. I couldn't find Ten for a while, and then I caught the shadow of a movement inside a shell that had it's entrance closed off up against another shell. I moved the shell and out came Ten! I must have bumped it closed during a cleaning. This prompted me to check out all the rest of the shells and sure enough, I discoverd another prisoner. They are both free now. Ten is still a hider though.

Mumsy and Rickey are allowing a Few of the July Fry to stay at home. My guess is that they were better Toadies than the ones they drove away. :D I named the little stay-at-homes: Selma,Marcia and Cindy (a nod to the Brady Bunch). I have not bothered naming the others who are at home because they are hiding which means they will face eviction as soon as Rickey or Mumsy can manage it. (with a little help from Patty, Selma, Marcia and Cindy) Although there will be less help from Patty as she seems to be more interested in Brad these days.

Also at home are the August Fry. They are more visible now and seem strong and healthy. I counted up to 9 today and one of those may have been a small July Fry, It's hard to tell.

Brad has his fins full with the girls these days. His harem may be swelling to include Patty, Selma and Ten. (That is if they all turn out to be female) He still has NanJan Angelina and Bart (who may be a girl) Marcia and Cindy prefer to Toady closer to home.

NanJan is still bossing the little fry around, She seems to have only 2 that she approves of.

Eastwood seems very happy with his girls and every time I look into the tank, I find them all together in the corner. They look like they've been up to something. I wonder if all is o.k. in the tank? I never thought they were especially happy where I put them. I may try moving the tank for a while. Too much current maybe?? hmmm............

Glad to hear you found a place to take them, and it sounds like they'll really care for your little fry when you bring them in!

LOL @ Brad gettin' all the girls.

He's got them, but does he want them?? :lol1

Quick update before I turn in for the night:

Mumsy has just surprised me with even more fry. It looks like about 20 little tiny ones scattered between about 4 shells..

:krazy:

This is a great thread, very funny :D

:Congrats: on the new fry.

And congrats on finding a responsible place to take them :) I just had my baby albino plecs rejected at one store (they said no money but we'll take them..mmm right, I think I'll keep looking)..looks like you could go into business here Rachel.

It certainly looks like I am in the fish business! The owner of the fish store will only give me store credit though. :( I don't really care about that or money. I am happy just to know they have a place to go. I only :( wanted a small amount of money just because I have to buy new shells for the next bunch. She doesn't sell shells.

Here's a little video of Mumsy's new fry. It's the most fry she has ever had.

I thought I got rid of the music, It's the soundtrack from "Dirty Harry". :D

Omg :thud so many fry :blink:

I think she wants to take over the world :rofl

Question: How many fry can fit into one shell about the size of a nickel?? ....

LMAO> :D no idea! How do they pack themselves in there and then all swim out unharmed? :hmm Amazing. And they all look identical, so funny and cute :heart

They remind me of that little car that all the clowns come out of. Just when you think they are all out...there's always at least one more. :lol1

Guest Jake Minimuto

LOL that was soo hilarious you're absolutely right

:rofl

they never stop coming out

wonder how it is like in there

wonder how much poo there is...

They remind me of that little car that all the clowns come out of. Just when you think they are all out...there's always at least one more. :lol1

I was thinking the same. I would swear that they have an extra dimension in there, or a small black hole :rofl

Well, It's 10 O'Clock and time for me to get my babies ready! They are going to a fish auction! I am hoping to be able to take photos. I am going to try to sell 12 babies to fish folk. This will make room for the other bunch to move out. Mumsy's new babies are starting to spread westward and there is a shortage of suitable housing. :rolleyes:

Will post later with the results of my auction.

Well, all of my babies were successfully sold at auction! I made 71 dollars!!! (it was a 60/40 auction so I took home $36)

I went in with 5 lots of 2 fish, and one lot of 3 ,that was because a baby was rooming with an older one and I couldn't get him out, so one of the shells had 2 fish in it. I threw an extra shell in for the new owner. I needn't have worried though because they were selling lots of shells and she bought some . I was surprised to find that I was not the only one selling shellies.

The other shellie vendor had more time to get ready than I did, because they went through the trouble of de-shelling the fish first and then sold the shells seperatly. My fish were out of sight in their shells. ha ha! It looked like they were just buying shells! Luckily, most of the folks who bid on them have had them before.

I spent 4 hours there total, it was a pretty big auction with everything you could want for your fish from used filters, bags of food and every kind of plant imaginable. One vendor was selling green water :D ( what a racket he's got) I didn't bid on anything, I just didn't see anything I needed. I was sorely tempted to bid on a different species of shellie that someone brought, but I am trying to get rid of tanks, not get new ones!

I had fun checking out all the stuff on the tables, but most of my time was spent making sure my bags stayed upright!! They had been handled so many times and laid down flat that I was very anxious that the fish might die by being trapped and using all the oxygen inside the shell. So, I made periodic rounds of all of the tables that had my fish and made sure they were upright. Of course, once they were purchased it was out of my hands. One woman dropped the bag on the floor!!!!! :o I don't know if the fish made it or not. :( I did tell one woman who purchased 3 of my lots that I would replace any that died before they got home. They were handled alot!

The big sale of the day was a mating pair of Discus that sold for 180 dollars! They were gorgeous fish! Other than that, no real surprising fish. I enjoyed it though and I will do it again, but I will have a better "bag" strategy next time.

Here is a video of my one little group of three getting auctioned, one of the fish came out of the shell and the auctioneer talked about it.

Now it is time to move the next group of fry to the selling tank. Then Mumsy's big bunch of babies can spread out until it is their turn to go.

oh and a sad note: Goodbye little Pesky....I hope you weren't the one who got dropped!!

I love the video. The seller sounds so excited and genuinely interested in the fish. I have never heard of an all fish related auction - awesome- wow- only in America. That is wonderful you were able to go and also able to find homes (and good ones too) for so many of your babies.