Before Choosing The Fish

2601angela

This is part of a reply to a new fish owner - most of the time the process new owners use is in the reverse mode - reacting to the problems rather than avioding the problems to save money and time....

Before getting or choosing the type of fish you want test your water from the source first - if your pH is below 7.2 after 3 or 4 tests during a 2 week period - You may wish to consider something other than a Goldie - especially if you are that close on the line and theere may be days it would dip .2 or .4 ...............

instead of chemically fighting the pH to bring it up - consider fish that acclimate well in lower pH water - this will save you a great amount of chemistry time. Vice versa for anything say - over 8.0 Many people do not consider this is a first to do list item before deciding what fish you want. Your fish will be very happy not being a high school Chem experiment.

that is why I stated anything below or at 7.2 - that is a general demarcation line for goldie pH - I sure there are other views - but research seems to indicate that is where undue stress occure - concerning your comment to "adjust" for goldies there is no real need to adjust if it is within the ranges I have suggested. unless the water you are adding is really a lot different than what is in the tank - there is no need to adjust. Again this is why I stated the idea of a high school chemistry lab. E`verything you are doing to the tank in the foirm of tank additives - is not necessarily helpful to the fish. By obtaining a fish that is more inclined to the water that you have comming from the tap - there is no need to then "adjust" ....

If Tobacco grows in nice warm climate like Georgia and thrives well there - Why try and build a glass Igloo in northern Canada to grow it there ?? Instead of the tobacco - think about raising Carabou - If a pet is going to stay outside - would you ger a german shorthair - or would you get a husky or something more adaptable...anotherwards do not try and fight the natural aspects of what you have.... work with the conditions you have to raise a form of aquapuppy loving your water characteriatcs.

To many times - I read here adding this or adding more of that - continually adjust, adjust - lets try to get out of that chemical need to think we should make the artificial need to satisfy - like we tend to do with heat or air conditioning - in our case we do not have a choice - but we do for our pets.....

Stop - Think - then Act do not wait to react - avoid the extra trauma befoire both you and the fish experience trauma

LOL I feel like a rabbit running around a tree LOL

Goldies will acclimate on their own to the parameters between 7.2 to 8.0 after being introduced properly to a tank even changes they will acclimate on their own - there is no way to adjust the goldies to the water - with our intervention - once you have introduced them - LOL unless you know of some little pHvalve we can turn on them to adjust their acclimation

Even though the pH from where the goldie comes from is the same as the one he is going to be in, it's still ESSENTIAL to do proper acclimatisation between the two different water by adding the new water slowly into the old water.

Goldies can tolerate pH as low as 6 and as high as 8 (or more from personal experience) as long as it's stable. Goldfish in greenwater can have the pH as high as 8.2-8.4 and still they thrive.

I was using 7.2 for a couple of reasons - City water can vary dramatically - if the average is 7.2 then you will not be fighting it constantly.

7.2 has been considered a point where the exchange of ions across the gill membrane begins to become inhibited. This can also be complicated by the mere quality level of the water and its maintaince - In fact - it was shown that certain toxins actually speed up the process in the crossover on the membrane - leading to stress, disease and death. buffering and other factors aside - these determininations have been pretty consistant.

Do not forget the exponential change for each .1 of pH drop that you incurr. Studies from research at 7.0 a stress factor begins to rise which may lead to a hiogher probability of ICK, dropsey, and fin rot - the Immunological response sustem is said to drop off dramatically below 7.0.

It is not to say a fish cannot survive in the situations below the 7.2 - and as said people have been able to maintain goldies at 6.0 - which is rather shocking to me - as I have seen pooh change color comming out of a goldie at 6.0 -

But the point is what stress level are you willing to submit your pet to in order to maintain the fish in those conditions - or would it simply be better to find a tropical fish that seems to handle much happier, in the lower range that you may be experiencing, and in less stress conditions for which a 6.5 or 6.0 may provide that that other type of fish.

The same goes for - what they deem - the high side - in that general information indicates 8.2 before signifigant stress and fighting for ion exchange and O2 uptake - causing other openings for problems down the road.

The idea is not that - you may be able to "acclimate" the fish - but at what point do you say it is more for your own personal gratification than the actual health of the fish - Acclimation and tollerance of "outside the range" environmental factors cannot be simply expressed toi you by a whimper or a bark - let alone dictation - and often the harm - when realized visually -- is to late - and both pet owner and pet suffer - in the end the pet much more.

The idea is not that - you may be able to "acclimate" the fish - but at what point do you say it is more for your own personal gratification than the actual health of the fish

You could apply the same argument to many aspects of fishkeeping and come up again and again with the fact that yes it is for our gratification that we keep fish. That however does not equate with the negation of fish health responsibility nor make us bad fish carers. If we have a tap pH of 6.5 as I think is fairly much a constant in New York for example does that mean we are irresponsible fish owners to own a goldfish? No it doesn't. We can use coral stones as a very reliable pH buffer or run our water through limestone and so on. The reasoning that we must choose a fish according to our pH excludes a whole city of potential excellent fish carers and dooms many fish to remain in terrible conditions in the petstore.

I do agree that low pH and pH extremes are not healthy, but there are healthy ways to buffer pH.

And the average "keeper" in my area, using well water, runs their system at 8.2 - 8.8 - with great success. We are known for our deep blacks and large fish. My spring spawn of broadtails spawned, themselves, this morning. They are 9 months old, about 4 inches in length and healthy as the healthiest fish.

Having water parameters that are "outside" of what is commonly touted as being "ideal" does not have to mean giving up goldfish as a hobby. It just means that you have to know what you are doing and do it.

The "going tro do about it" is exactly why I put the topic up - I suggested to think twice and understand there will be more work in keeping a goldie in the 8.5 range - and they should look at and assess those aditional processes and needs before just running out and getting a Goldie - - Or another kind that flourishes on 8.5... If they understand and determine that the extra work is ok for them - then great - It merely allows the opportunity of thinking twice before heading into the trouble zone not knowing anything about the pH characteristics of their tap water.