Anyone Have A 200 Gallon?

I have a line on a 200 gallon tank. $400 for tank, stand and filtration system, and maybe lights. I'm not sure.... It sounds like a pretty good deal and I may go to see it this weekend. Anyway, does anyone have a 200 gallon tank? How hard is it to maintain?

I'm thinking I'd love to do either a fancy goldfish tank with very high-quality show goldfish, or a heavily planted tropical tank with a school of black lace goldfish. I've always wanted a big planted tank..... BUT, think of the fancy goldfish I could have in that 200!!!!!!

So, what's it like maintaining a tank like that?

would you not feel more comfortable - maybe a little more cost as some equiptment is repetitive - but having 2 95 gallons - just thgink if you have a leak you limit the mortality rate - if you have an infection it is isolated to half the group - what if you wish to get schooling fish later on and some are not compatible with goldies.... if you ever have to move it - hmmmm.... Think very strongly on this issue - maybe one of these reasons is the reason the person is selling it for a great price LOL - just think a third time before such a large tank....

Yeah, it is a lot. It's seven feet long, 2 feet deep and 2 feet wide. It would look absolutely BEAUTIFUL in my fish room though......

I have a room in the basement on a concrete floor dedicated to the fish.... Right now it's empty except for a 70 gallon QT and a couple of other tanks. I used to have it full of five gallon betta tanks, then sold it all off and bought a puppy. Now I'm wanting to redo the room again. The original plan was to have a 125 fully planted tank for black lace angels and amazonian schooling fish, BUT now I'm totally into goldfish, LOL, so I can see a bigger tank, bare bottom, planted up with a forest of anacharis, and orange GEMS shimmying around. :) Call me crazy.

LOL CRAZY the 125 seems so much more enticing - Instead - of the 200 for the fish - turn it into a puppy sleep place for your next puppy. That way you would still have the tank, enjoy the new puppy - and have a bare bottom tank with no fear of leaking or breakage - LOL

That's a great price. I would think maintenence would even out. Larger body of water. Isn't the water more stable with larger quantities? Harder to access though, stepstools and all that. Since you are getting the whole setup no expenses for high dollar filtration. I can't see much of a down side to it considering all the room you would have for large goldies. If it fits the space you have for it I would get it.

Carli

I have a 250 gallon.

I absolutely love it, but the biggest maintenance headache is finding long enough blocks of time to do water changes. It helps that the filtration is set up so I can stop the water change, leave all the filters running, and then come back and pick up again. It would go faster if I ran the Python more agreesively, but I mostly use it as a gravity siphon to save some water when draining, and refill very gradually to minimize shock.

I can't wait to move more of my goldfish into it, once the overwintering koi moves out. (As a side note: I would not be changing nearly as much water without the one big fish, so it is really my own fault it takes so many water changes). The companion goldfish I have in there now has been growing like a weed and his long distance swimming has been good for him.

It also sprung a leak at some point in a crack across the bottom that I can't seem to repair, so I had to just drop in some pond liner and use it that way, which is okay, but I really miss being able to peer through the side and watch them swim. I'm planning on using it as a place to grow some of the fish out and just keep a few in my smaller tanks to look at at a time. It'll be like getting new goldfish every few weeks...

I have a 250 gallon.

It also sprung a leak at some point in a crack across the bottom that I can't seem to repair, so I had to just drop in some pond liner and use it that way, which is okay, but I really miss being able to peer through the side and watch them swim. I'm planning on using it as a place to grow some of the fish out and just keep a few in my smaller tanks to look at at a time. It'll be like getting new goldfish every few weeks...

Cheeky hon, why don't you break it down and drop a new sheet of glass on the bottom and cement that in place. I've seen that done and it doesn't look too hard. The idea of using it for a stock tank is a good one too, but I'd opt for a fresh sheet of glass in the bottom. I'll bet you could get tempered glass.

What are the dimensions on that tank?

Cheeky hon, why don't you break it down and drop a new sheet of glass on the bottom and cement that in place. I've seen that done and it doesn't look too hard. The idea of using it for a stock tank is a good one too, but I'd opt for a fresh sheet of glass in the bottom. I'll bet you could get tempered glass.

What are the dimensions on that tank?

I may get around to some version of repairing it come spring, when I can move the big fish out safely. I still have grand designs for decorating it if I do... but I needed to get it shaped up for the new koi baby for the winter really quickly.

It's no great financial loss, I only traded a twice used 55 gallon tank for it, beacuse the guy had moved and couldn't fit it into the door of his new house. It is a semi-homemade beast and the bottom is, um, fairly heavily reinforced and hard to get at.

It's around 7 feet long, waist high, and 22 inches across internal dimensions, if I remember right. With a 55 gallon barrel trickle tower hooked up to it.

I have a 200g but it's tall and a pain in my rear. I have to use a pond vac just to clean it and wiping off algae usually means going swimming almost. I used to have fancies in there but one developed SBD so it's got just comets now. I'm thinking about selling it. It's not a very good GF tank.

Gardengirl, the dimensions of that 200 aren't really all that bad - I have a 160 gl tank, which is 2 ft deep, 6 ft long. The height isn't too bad either. It is still manageable without using a stool, unless you are a shorter person. Honest, I would never give up my big tank for anything smaller - the fish have enormous swimming room. Not just side to side, but front to back as well. It is beautiful for them, and they grow so much in it.

Have you thought about filtration yet? That was the only thing that bothered me - what to stick on that tank so it'll gets the 10x gl filtration. I have a RenaXP3 and 3 of the biggest AquaClear hanging there.

How would you go about doing water changes on that big thing? Its the basement, right? Would there be enough gravity, or a sink, to connect the python?

that is a pretty good deal for a 200 gallon I guess, but I would worry about leaking or cracking lol, the force of all those water will give a great pressure on the tank, btu I dont know, 200 gallon is really big for a aquarium! but sound fun lol

Gardengirl, the dimensions of that 200 aren't really all that bad - I have a 160 gl tank, which is 2 ft deep, 6 ft long. The height isn't too bad either. It is still manageable without using a stool, unless you are a shorter person. Honest, I would never give up my big tank for anything smaller - the fish have enormous swimming room. Not just side to side, but front to back as well. It is beautiful for them, and they grow so much in it.

Have you thought about filtration yet? That was the only thing that bothered me - what to stick on that tank so it'll gets the 10x gl filtration. I have a RenaXP3 and 3 of the biggest AquaClear hanging there.

How would you go about doing water changes on that big thing? Its the basement, right? Would there be enough gravity, or a sink, to connect the python?

Ranchu,

The tank comes with a filter. From the pic it looks like something homemade that flows to a horse trough filter..... I'd probably upgrade to something similar to what you have and use that horse trough in the garden for fry.

Water changes would be simple. I have a 24 inch Python tube and great feed to the utility sink in the basement. There's good water pressure and gravity, AND I wouldn't over stock that tank, especially if I grow a lot of plants and go tropical on it with angels, rams and tetras.

It's a lot of money for me right now though. I need to think about it.

Just to get the word out there.......IF ANYONE HAS A GIANT TANK THEY DON'T WANT TO DEAL WITH BRING IT TO ME!!!! I have a 100 gallon & I would LOVE an even bigger tank! WOOHOO!!

Guest Halloween

Yes I agree with Eric VERY STRONGLY!! I have a 120 gallon tank and some days I wish I could just crack it with a base ball bat. One single filter piece costs me 10 bucks. Good thing it's only a once a month deal. My Nitrates got dangerously high once and I almost had a heart attack trying to change out 60 gallons to lower it.

When I clean it I have to take a shower before I do so because my hair and deodorant inside the tank can't be very safe. I'm basically swimming when I clean it. Those magnetic cleaner things are my best friends!

Don't get me wrong though, after spending the 4 or 5 hours to clean it inside out it looks amazing, and I always surprise myself by my willingness to do the dirty work to have a few days of sparkling clean fish tank (before it starts looking like scum again)!!!! The fish don't help much either, they just keep on pooping and abusing the plants not to mention UNBURYING the bubble wall which I can't STAND.

Im even thinking about investing in some hosing and an outside pond pump of sorts so I can just pump the water out instead of using my 10 gallon buckets. I'm only 19 and I have severe back pain after I have a Tank Cleaning Day.

Labor of love might be a correct term!!!

Goodness Halloween......get a Python! NO MORE BACKACHES!! (If that's too costly there are ways to make them) They are sooooo great! If mine broke somehow (after I cried & had a decent burial (LOL) for it I WOULD Scrimp, cut corners, do whatever it took...but have a replacement REAL SOON!!)

I only spend about one hour each weekend cleaning TWO tanks! And that's when I am doing a REALLY GOOD cleaning! And it's not a chore.....I actually enjoy it & find it rather relaxing!

As for the filter replacement costing $10 weekly......you need to change filters! My AQ110s (I have THREE) have all reusable stuff! I rinse the sponge & rarely the ceramic thingees....and that's it!

What I am saying is if the tank is a chore you are not doing it right! Let us know EXACTLY how you do it & I'll bet you we can help you make a plan & get the right equipment to make your fish keeping a pleasure!!

Python Water Change Siphon systems saved my back and have made it possible for me to have more tanks and enjoy the hobby more than any other product out there.... I have THREE of them -- one 25 foot one for fish room tank changes, a 75 foot one (with a 24 inch tube) for the upstairs show tank, and another 25 foot one dedicated exclusively to the hospital/quarentine tank.... I also have a Python Pond Vac system for the outdoor pond, but replaced that with a Shop Vac this year. The Shop Vac doesn't waste as much water on the 2000 gallon pond.

Actually, Halloween, you could get a Shop Vac with a pump out feature and pump the water from the shop vac out a window to your garden, or to a utility sink. Just be sure to CLAMP the hose to the sink so you don't have any accidents. The tank on a shop vac can handle 15 gallons and takes a bout a minute to pump itself out. Overall, changing 60 gallons of water would take you about 10 or 20 minutes, max.

Python's are the best and frankly, I can't see how anyone (young or old) could get by without one on a tank larger than ten gallons......