Intelligence

2601angela

Some of you may or may not have seen this article..............

Source: The Times

Date: 01 October 2003

Goldfish pass memory test

By Mark Henderson,

Science Correspondent

IT IS time for the scales to fall from our eyes: scientists have claimed not only that goldfish have a memory span of up to three months, but that they can also tell the time.

The fish, previously believed to have a memory of just a few seconds, can distinguish between different times of day and can also be taught to follow a routine, according to research.

Scientists at Plymouth University have successfully trained the fish to collect food at particular times of day, showing the popular notion of the three-second memory to be very fishy indeed.

The findings add to a growing body of evidence that fish are much more sentient and intelligent than had generally been assumed.

Recent research has suggested that fish feel pain when they are caught on a hook, can be manipulative and socially aware, have long memories and are able to recognise their shoal-mates.

The research, led by Phil Gee of Plymouth University, has added a sophisticated body clock to the piscine intellect. In his experiment, goldfish were placed in a bowl in which they were fed only when they pressed a lever. The fish rapidly learnt that pressing the lever produced a food reward.

Once they had been trained in this way, the researchers set up the lever to work for just one hour a day. The fish soon became wise to this, and learnt to press the lever at the same time every day to feed. ?The fish worked out that if they hit the lever around that time, they would get some food,? Dr Gee said. ?Their activity around the lever increased enormously just before the set hour when their food was dispensed.

?But then if no food came out, they stopped pressing the lever when the hour was up. It shows that they are probably able to adapt to changes in their circumstances, like any other small animals and birds.?

The study could have implications for fish farming, Dr Gee said. He suggests that it should be possible to train trout and salmon to swim to feeding stations on certain signals, making it easier for farmers to monitor and harvest their stock.

Yay, no mroe crap about 3 seconds memory, this 3 second memory is making me sick! People still beleive goldfish only have 3 second memory and treat their goldfish so cruel!

I know goldfish can rememebr much longer since some of my goldfish get friendly with me and even my dead shubbie eat from my hand when he use to be scared of even getting close to me.

Oh and when I bought 2 fantail and put them i nwith 1 of my comet, comet is small, first the comet is scare and would swim away when fantail get even abit close, and now they are mreo friendly and they can swim together, oh and not to mention my comet start following my fantail, he is not breeding he is following! I can tel lteh different, beside the coemt is very small means he is still young, saying he, it's mroe like a she.

"The study could have implications for fish farming, Dr Gee said. He suggests that it should be possible to train trout and salmon to swim to feeding stations on certain signals, making it easier for farmers to monitor and harvest their stock."

I had to laugh at that!!!

When I was like 8 or 9 years old, My dad and me stopped at a fish breeding station here in Colorado (trout). We went up to one of the open ponds and a giant swarm of fish came up and started chomping at the water's surface!! It scared the *%*^% out of me at the time!! But my dad explained the fish were just used to people coming up to the water and throwing fish food in and they had just learned that fish near the pond meant "feeding time"! The breeding station is still here now and I drive by it often. I think I can see back to that same pond of 40 years ago. I should stop sometime and see if it still works the same and work out that childhood fear of that darn place :D Every time I drive by I still think of that time!

Terry