Accidentally Induced Spawning!

swift

I did a 70% water change last night. this am I turned on the tank light and wondered what the little balls were all over the bottom of the tank. i was completely baffled for a moment, as it was very early, and i wasn't quite with it yet. The little balls looked like the stuff that comes out of those silica gel packets, but there's no way something like THAT got in the tank. it finally dawned on me! it was then that i noticed that darwin was intermittently chasing einstein around the tank. i hadn't noticed her being any chubbier than usual, but maybe i just wasn't that observant. darwin doesn't have any breeding stars and the tank water is/was still clear, so i assume that he is too young and the eggs weren't fertilized. they're all gone now, gobbled up by the residents, especially jelly, who was very enthusiastic about the snacks! a few poor quality photos:

eggs2.jpgeggs1.jpg

Jelly having breakfast:

DSCN1095.jpg

it was all very exciting-- and that's even without the chance of having them hatch into fry! since i've gotten home this afternoon, darwin is no longer chasing einstein. she has a few reddened areas on her tail that i hope will heal up quickly! at least i know the sexes of two of my three fish now!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bet you were excited huh? I know I was lastnight when I seen mine breeding. Luckily i was able to save a few eggs and because i have large gravel rocks, there may be some survivors in the adult tank. Who knows? What I don't understand is I done everything possible to keep it cold in my room. It is winter and they spawned. The heater isn't being ran as often, and I even closed the vents that lead into my room to keep the warm out. Yet they still did it. It is crazy.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest eric2601

Excited!!!! The first and the second time you are excited - but when she produces eggs that make the tank look like a snow globe turned upside down - continuiously - yes it is fun to watch - But God - Please tell us if anyone has found the switch to turn the little aquabreedersa off for a rest once and a while!!!LOL And I thought my brother's wife, with 8 kids, was doing a lot of work!