Trying Again

Donya

Well I'm finally back into goldfish again. My other fish are just too antisocial to substitute for the first two goldies I used to have. I completely redid my largest tub, and greatly beefed up the filtration to have another try with goldfish. I aimed to turn it into a much bigger version of the small pond-like tub I'd grown my first goldie in and the redone tank has been quite healthy so far. It's not what I'd call a "pretty" setup, but then again none of my tub tanks are lol. At least it's doing its job and the new goldie pair seems to like the spray bar quite a lot.

Top shot of the tank. The mesh rim is to keep the snails in (unsightly but effective). I tried to get the fish in the shot, but only one showed up; the other is in there but it's lighter and the spray bar output completely obscured it.

30tub1.jpg

Same fishie having a try at eating the UGF tube:

30tub2.jpg

My camera isn't doing up-close so well at the moment; probably something I'm doing wrong. Once I figure out how to get it to do closer shots without flashing I'm hoping to get a few pics that show the goldies better. The store folks thought they might be oranda/fantail crosses since they're from an oranda & fantail breeder but definitely arn't either of the usual pure breed builds.

The snails are Pomacea insularum - they do get quite large. Most of those aren't even adults yet!

I took one of them out to try to get some pics...didn't work so well since I seem to be camera challenged, but at least the body shape shows up.

fantail2.jpg

fantail1.jpg

Gonna guess that one is about 2", maybe a little more. Both seem to have early stages of chipmunk cheeks going on. I still can't get a decent shot of the lighter colored one. The one pictured is a busybody that loves attention, but the lighter colored one still does the "oh no!" face and hides as soon as it sees the camera come out.

I guess lighting is everything...the water doesn't look green anymore! LOL

fantail4.jpg

I'm amazed I finally got pics with the 2nd goldie included, since most of the time it still runs off when it sees me comming. It's actually darkened up a bit since I got it :blink: the orange areas were pale yellow before.

fantail5.jpg

Edited by Donya

Hi Donya.I was so happy to see that you haven't given up on goldfish after all . Losing them is such a huge blow,but there's just something about them that's worth trying again.

I did have to laugh when I spotted the Insularums-little monster sizes allready!You always did seem partial to the "Big Boys" ,and you've sure had some huge ones:D

I always wanted one but never did get one. My biggest was Chewy,a pretty large Canna,and when she passed,I pretty much gave up on snails except for the Spixies.It's amazing what a snail can mean to you.

As for your tub set up,I think it's just fine.People go all out to make their tanks "show pieces",when it's really all about water params,filtration ,and actual room for their fish to swim. I have a few tubs like your set up,and I love them.The fish are a little freaked at first,but it's amazing how fast they adapt and become cool with it. I keep a tub right near the computer,and have a Red Cap Oranda in there.This guy sees me walk in,and actually sticks his head out of the water to see if I'm carrying food! :rofl

Good luck and keep us posted on the updates. :)

cute orandas!!!! Those are the biggest snails i've ever seen!!!! How big do they get? I like ur setup too! I'd like to have tubs like that too, but my mom doesnt allow anything "ugly" except one, which wasnt meant to stay, but its staying! lol

Donya, I'd like to know about your tubs. What size are they and what do you have filtering them....???? I have a big 70 gallon flower pot with a modified home-made filter running on it in my fish room. It's got a shop light over it and isn't the most lovely thing , but the baby goldfish are loving it to grow out in..... Here's a pic:

70Gallon.jpg

I have a few fancy tailed babies growing out in a 10 gallon tub. These babies were as small as a babies fingernail when I got them. They'll need to move soon. Here they are in their tub:

Fancies.jpg

I also use tubs for QT and hospital treatments..... They work so well, and when they aren't set up I can store stuff in them! LOL.....

I'd love to hear more about your set up. Cool snails btw... Your goldies look very happy in their home.

great pics donya how big is the tub?

It's took around 30 gallons of water at the last fill-up, from gravel to current level so it's a little over that in total capcity I'd guess.

Donya, I'd like to know about your tubs. What size are they and what do you have filtering them....????

I love that flowerpot setup! It looks like it'd be really temperature-stable too with the ceramic around it. For filtration on my ~30g tub I've got a Rena XP2 canister filter, an old Whisper 20/40 HOTB, and an air-driven UGF (which produced a vietnamese blenny yesterday that had been missing for four months :blink::wacko: so the goldies have a new friend LOL). Most of that filtration is just to deal with the amount of junk that the insularum produce...not just waste, but they destroy stuff too. I had sponges over the HOTB intake and a sponge filter in there that they just plain tore up and it took weeks to get all that debris out. I gave up keeping anacharis in that tank because they'd just rip it up and let it clog the filters. I've substituted some stiffer-leaved rooted plants that seem to be holding up better and are doing a good job with the nitrates.

Is that a plan in a small pot in the 2nd picture? If it is, what did you use to pot it? I'm wondering about trying something like taht to keep the snails away from the roots of the plants in my tanks.

Those are the biggest snails i've ever seen!!!! How big do they get?

They get around 3-4" as adults. I have a couple in the 3-3.5" range right now, the rest have a ways to go. Pomacea insularum is one of the largest freshwater snail species; there arn't many other freswhater varieties that can surpass that size.

Losing them is such a huge blow,but there's just something about them that's worth trying again.

Yeah, the tanks sort of seemed less happy after I lost Tiny Tim and Willy. I have some other pretty big fish in other tanks that I thought would kind of fill the gap, but none of them are the same sort of touchy-feely personalities. Then I saw the two I've got now in a really good store that always has really healthy fish, and they reminded me too much of Willy if he had an extra fin. I was only going to get one, but my bf wanted a bunch of goldies (and a giant predatory catfish and a huge gourami and an arowana and a grouper...*sigh* I can see that one of these days there will be a tank with a single large evil fish in it) so both it was. They're pretty attached to each other so I'm glad I wound up with the two of them.