Comet Not Opening Mouth Fully, Trouble Eating

Mark_C

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's not one thing its another.

Now I have Splash eating quite well (although still very slowly) the other 2, who are growing quickly, are now doing huge trailing poops, so I figure they are over fed now and managing to get more of Splash's food than I noticed.

I wasn't there today to watch them so I have no idea how much they ate, but they look stuffed.

So will have to try and starve two of them for a couple of days while I try and feed Splash, :rolleyes: this is going to be fun.

The plants also look well nibbled, so at least one of them is eating those as well, I doubt it's Splash as she wouldn't be able to just now, will keep an extra close eye on the params too if they are a bit overfed

This is hard work, but I am enjoying it

All those water changes may have helped give them a growth spurt - oh as well as the double food rations of course ;) It's good to hear they are doing well.

I was wondering how your params are. Do you think you managed to preserve the bbs allright in the bucket? Just curious about that and how did the plants survive? BTW hold on to the PP as it is very useful to have. You can make a paste with it and use it as a topical wound healer and you can use it to disinfect items :)

Is Splash still showing good appetite and getting her share?

Hi Trinket,

I think the extra food they have been grabbing has definitely helped, Splosh my common was really bloated last night, and still foraging for more, he obviously managed to get Splash's food while I wasn't watching, he has got wise to where she corners it now so new tactics again today.

I got Splash into the breeder basket today ad fed her, the others had a nibble at the wafer from underneath, but she had enough to poop normally so hopefully she is getting enough food in her.

I made the others go without, they stuffed themselves so much yesterday I was a bit worried, I think there must have been some hidden stuff I hadn't noticed, or they ate a fair bit of plant.

Splash is eating OK, but it is very slow, I have to spend a fair bit of time to make sure she gets enough, her mouth is not much different.

I am going to do a 30% change again tomorrow, as there will be a fair bit of poop with them over eating, but params have held up fine, zero on nitrites and ammonia, and 10 for Nitrates (posibly slightly darker but not up to 15 colour) so I think the bucket and airstone must have worked OK

I am not sure about the plants yet, they look mostly OK (except the nibbled parts) but I have noticed some loose bits of brown roots from the long grassy stuff (not sure what it is called) the roots did go a bit brown while they spent a week in the small tank, and I am not sure if they are OK or not now.

I was wondering whether to change the plants to be safe, I dont want them to rot in there and make more mess (not sure if that happens though)

Do you think I should lose the salt now? or keep it at .1% like the fish shop guy reccomends?

sorry I didn't notice there was another Q here Mark -hi- yes I'd keep the salt at .1% for a few weeks. It's your choice really as it will not harm the fish to leave it longer. What it is doing is helping reduce the osmotic pressure on holes and breaks in the surface of the slime coat or damage to the gills caused by infection.

The plants are useful. I have replaced plants but then theres all the worry of introducing new pathogens with new plants..what you could do is clip them back. They will grow new shoots and roots with a small clipping.

Update time and all is not quite right in the tank.

One small plant didn't do so well, so I got rid of it, the others seem OK except they are getting eaten a fair bit

Splash is continuing as normal, feeding takes her hours, and she still isn't eating much judging by her poop, but she is still eating something, she is as friendly as ever and seems generally OK, the spot is still the same on her nose, and her mouth is still crooked, she does open it more but seems unable to suck still.

Splosh (my little common) is getting big very quickly, and has become very fast at feeding time, he can be aggressive now towards the biggest fish (Splish) when there is food to eat.

Both of those 2 can now suck all of Splash's food through the breeder net bottom before she manages to eat it

I had to try a new feeding method today, I called Splash into the breeder net and lifted it up (who said you can't train fish :) )

I put a small clear tupperware bowl in the breeder net, and dropped an algae wafer and a couple of granules in for her, that way the others can't get it through the bottom,

they could see it though and went absolutely nuts, I left them alone for an hour or so, and when I came back Splish seems to have lost a scale, and his dorsal fin is torn :(

Now I have something new to worry about, do I need to do anything for him? or is it best left alone?

Oh dear :( That was a good idea about the tupperware -just sorry to hear there was a frenzy below and what happened to Splish.

The scale will grow back fine in a few days only. The dorsal will take a little longer but will also regrow as long as the spines inside the membrane are intact. Feeding frenzies can get very violent, I think you are going to have to get a divider to put in at feeding time as Nickie suggested. You can remove it after Splash has been fed. The thing is fish are excellent smellers. They can smell the food even in the tupperware and it produces this drug-crazed reaction trying to get it and when they cant it is frustrating and makes them aggressive. At least a divder will stop the smell better by allowing more distance from the fish to Splashes food.

Do you still have the 0.1% salt in there Mark?

Hi Trinket,

Yes salt is still at .1% water params have been fine too.

The spines on his dorsal fin look OK, but the main one at the front is a bit bumpy, although I think it has always been like this, certainly has been for a long time since he started to grow anyway.

I am a bit stumped with the divider, because of the way my tank hood, lights and filter fit on, and the front of the tank is curved, so it's not too easy to clip things on it, but will have a look at the fish shops and see if they have anything I can make work.

Splosh is getting pebbles and bits of plant in his mouth most days now as well, his appetite is unbeliveable, he seems to be constantly trying to eat everything in the tank, I am starting to think about getting rid of the pebbles as I can see it becoming a problem. I don't know why he is suddenly such a ravenous feeder, all of them were always quite calm before, and stuck mostly to what I fed them, now Splish and Splosh are growing really quickly and costantly foraging or fighting for food.

Hehhe ...so Splish is male (the bumps on the very first spine are breeding stars and mean he is of age to breed). Some of the frenzy may or may not be related. You said he was being aggressive and very often the two are confused> aggression V breeding behavior. You are just going into early summer/sppring down there aren't you? That's prime breeding season too. An adult male will bump a female with his head on her belly or wherever he can reach and nudge and push her around the place. Have you noticed that anytime other than feeding?

I think with the divider you may have to fix up some DIY set up. If it is only for feeding time it may be easier than doing something permanent, I'll have alook at what others have done over in the DIY forum for you.

Ah my kids were right about Splish being male then :D they may be right about Splash being female too as she doesn't have those bumps on her dorsal fin.

Yes we are just going into summer, and the temperatures have risen a lot in the last week or so, so you may be right about the behaviour, I hope I don't end up with extra fishes though I am not ready for that one yet LOL

I haven't noticed them nudging at any time other than feeding, and then it seems to be if one of them sees something in the gravel, or up at the surface they all stick their noses in at once, other than that they tend to get on very well, they often either "pair up" or travel gently round the tank in threes.

Splish was aggressive for a few days and then calmed down a bit, then Splosh became the terror of the tank, he has always been the hyperactive one anyway, and is totally fearless (always has a nibble at anything that comes in the tank).

They are all a bit calmer today, I fed Splash with the tupperware again and there was no frenzy, perhaps they are more used to it now.

I also used the breeder net as a "sin bin" yesterday to keep Splosh out of the way for a while and hand fed him in there,

the others fed Ok at seperate ends of the tank, and Splash managed to get some food before Splish came along and grabbed what was left.

I have to keep trying different tactics to stay one step ahead of them

Just out of curiosity... Can Comets and Commons interbreed? they look identical except the long fins.

You betcha :D I believe all fish can interbreed. Its how some of the more unusual fancy types evolved breeding selected different types with each other. But with yours it doesn't mean you get tails that are half of each type or anything like that, there would be some common type single tailed fry and some comet type single tail fry and quite possibly a very few double tails. Fish genetics can bring up a whole range in a batch. It wouldn't be unusual at all for your all orange fish to produce some calico (3 color) fry or white fry either.

The fish will eat their own eggs unless you are very fast at finding them and removing them. I can say from my experience of raising (telescope eye) goldfish fry that raising fry involves a lot of hard work and worry- fun too ...of course. :exactly

It's good you are monitoring the feeding so closely and trying different methods. I just hope it doesn't all get too much for you doing this every day - don't give up! I'm hoping too that Splash improves enough for them all to feed to gether again before too long :)

It's definitely hard work and time consuming feeding like this, but I have to do it as I can't let her suffer.

Did really well today too, I have found that if I get her in the breeder net and sink some granules into the tupperware bowl she can get those quite quickly now, she still cant suck them in, but she sort of bounces them up and then catches them in her mouth, she finished in about 15-20 minutes, which was really good.

The others are more used to her eating like this now too, and although they still try and grab at the underside of the net and bowl, they don't get into a frenzy now.

Hi Mark,

I haven't forgotten about ya, just been reading up on what has been going on. I am so glad that Splash is doing better with her eating. I really think this will heal in time. You have been such a great fish dad!!!!

As far as the divider goes, I have heard that you can make alot of different kinds on your own. I know that Daryl makes her own dividers. If ya get a chance, like trinket says, you may want to check out the DIY forum and see. Keep us the awesome work you have done!!!!

BTW, I have just found out that my moor is a female instead of a male and I also have a male in the tank. LOL! That was one of the reason he was so agressive towards her. I thank God everyday for my divider. It can't stop Hammy from spewing eggs, but it does keep Jaws from roughing her up.

Nicky - so Hammys female :D ! Its nice to know for sure isn't it? There you go- that explains the aggression you saw from Jaws. It is better though that the eggs came out as over time some fish get prone to bloating up with them. My black moor Flapper is like that, when the eggs are not released she'll topsit and then after forever the eggs will come out in poop.

How are the fish today Mark?

Hi All,

All the fish are doing really well at the moment, Splash is eating well from the tupperware dish in her private dining room :D it doesn't take her very long to finish a good portion of granules, she has trouble with flake though, she is really friendly too, and seems to love contact now

Splish's dorsal fin tear has started to heal nicely.

Splosh.... well he is just Splosh, still the maniac of the tank, but not being aggressive now.

The plants keep getting abused, they are doing OK but have lots of nibbled sections, they have also been uprooted a few times and I have had to keep re-planting them in the gravel, water params have been good, still at .1% salt, (I think I will keep this up for a while as its probably helping the fin injury too) and it's very clear.

No algae growth anywhere though, but I have wafers so they can get some green stuff to eat.

No sign of any eggs, (thankfully) not sure what sex the other 2 are yet.

Very glad to hear everything is going well now. As her mouth heals Splash should slowly be able to eat faster and hopefully return to the main dining room for her meals before too long. Good work for staying with her needs and keeping the wolves at bay :D

Also pleased to hear Splishes dorsal tear is healing up.

Had some improvements this weekend.

Splash can now get Flake food from the surface again, she is able to eat a decent portion in about 5-10 minutes, so I am still feeding her in the breeder net, but it does not take long.

I am so happy she is really getting better now.

I have a small worry with Splish now though, he has developed a small light area on his back, between his head an dorsal fin, he doesn't seem ill in any way, and otherwise looks and acts very healthy (his dorsal tear is well healed now), but I was worried what it may be.

It doesn't look like a rough damaged area, or like a lump, it is much lighter in colour than the rest of him, but not white, anyone got any ideas? could it be a problem or do they sometimes develop different colours?

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been online much for the last week or so, been busy selling my house, but thought I would post a quick update, and another question.

The fish have all been great for the last week, Splash is eating much faster now, but I am still feeding her in the net as she just cannot compete with the other 2 if I feed them al together.

Her lower jaw is still very crooked, I think it is going to be a permanent thing now, and her lip still sticks out quite a lot, but she can now suck food in, not as well as the others but enough to be Ok with extra care.

The spot on her nose is still there, but does seem smaller, she is also still thinner than the other 2, but has definitely gained weight which is very pleasing.

She is also very smart and cute, every time she sees me she will swim into the breeder net and watch me intently to see if she can have some food, she always comes to the surface too if I look in, and swims into my hand if I dangle it in the tank, she is very tame.

I do have one minor worry today though, I have just carried out a water change earlier tonight, and I fed them about 30 minutes ago, but I have noticed she has an odd poop hanging from her.

It is almost transparent, only about the thickness of a human hair, and seems to have a bubble in it, I assume she is a bit constipated?? I will try her with peas and see what that does, unless anyone has any other suggestions??

My next pressing issue is my impending house move, we are going 2200KMs interstate, it's a 2 day drive, but I am working on a plan involving a cooler box (trying to find one of 80 litres or more) and an air pump, I am hoping to make a good transport tank out of it that they will be OK in for 2-3 days.

I don't know anyone here who I could give them too that will look after them properly, and besides they really are family now so couldn't leave them behind.

Goodness Mark, that's a big move. People have taken their fish farther though and it can definitely be done. The airpump will be crucial and keeping that air going. I used to have terrible problems transporting my fish (I have often taken them to my vet in deep buckets with shallow water) because the batteries dont seem to last very long on battery powered pumps. That is my worry with those.

Transport- they should be fine. Dont feed them the day before the move to keep the tub water cleaner and being very dark in a closed container should help with the stress of moving. We can help more nearer the time with details.

Splash sounds so tame now, associating the net and your hand with food..the poop is a 'not 100% myself today' poop for sure- a single bubble could mean constipated or digestion probs. Keep an eye on that. The occasional strange poop is not something to worry about but if it goes on several days it might mean somethings up.

I fed them some peas and all seems to be back to normal.

The other 2 are decimating the plants at the moment, their appetites are unbelievable.

As for the move, I have a A/C invertor so may even be able to run a normal air pump off of the battery on my car using that, will probably be a good idea to have some kind of backup anyway.

I have been reading some of the posts on here, and got some good ideas from them, will defintely be asking fdor advice though.

• 1 year later...

This is a very old post, but I thought I would just add a coment to it.

Thanks for all the help everyone gave me on this, Splash has been doing very well since the last update, unfortunately she has now suddenly got sick again though, so the only place I could think of for help was here.

For anyone who would like to help or read about her the new post is here http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=76934