Sign in to follow this  
jamisskat

Update On Ryu That Was Exposed To Toxins..

Well ryu will be laid to rest tonight.. next to Peachy.. he was getting better but whatever was on that sponge made him bleed from his vent.. and it looked like there was blood on his belly almost like a hicky.. :( I uthenized him and he's resting in the freezer.. poor fish..

I'm sorry, Hon! However, you have to keep in mind that now you have Jasmine to look after and a wedding to finish planning! Keep heart and don't dispair too much!

sorry to hear he didnt make it :(

What a shame.. I was hoping he would be o.k. :(

Hi,

I just read this and I don't know what happened... Can't find the original link...

A fish exposed to toxics...

In general, I would put him/her in DI (distilled water) from the grocery store that is very depleted of chemicals and tend to "leach" chemicals out of the body. Charcoal should be put into the water to absorb off anything that does get out.

Normal water temperature in quiet dark to avoid and stress and feed the fish all it wants to give energy to fight off the danger...

But toxics viciously destroy body functions. Either it lives or it does not... If internal organs are too damaged, there is nothing that can be done... The toxins are quickly absorbed in the body and they are very hard to get out before death.

The DI water, charcoal, and rest thing is a last resort and really "not much" help in such cases... In humans, there is dialysis, transfusions, and organ transplants to replace that which is too far gone to fix... Life support to help sustain the body long after normal death....

Biological toxins are generally far more easy to deal with since the body is so used to that.

Just remember, we are ALL going to die... Some of use will try harder to cheat death and some will get really lucky and live a lot longer... But lust like we all have been born as gift... We will all die as payment...

I think the DI water and charcoal thing is the "best", even though it is a "small" thing to "try"... There are antibiotics if the chemical damage causes infections, but that is getting too far out for me to suggest. High pressure oxygen might help too, but that is out of reach of 99.99% of us...

But if an organ is damaged, as is the usual case, it all goes painfully downhill and it can't be fixed. You did the right thing here! Sorry, by that is life...

Terry