Diy All In One Tank

disaster999

i was talking at a pet store one day and noticed these biocubes from oceanic on display. its this cube looking tanks that comes in 8, 14 and 29 gallons. its all in one meaning theres filter built in with lights. the filter is hidden behind a false wall that contains 3 chambers. one is to mechanical filtration, second chamber is biological, then 3rd is the return where the water is pumped back into the main display area of the tank. lights are usually 2 compact fluorescent combo bulbs that emits white and blue colors.

i also started drift to salt water reef tanks. so i found this one forum, www.nano-reef.com. i learned alot in there and saw some custom made tanks. as most of you know, im a DIYer and i made a DIY wet/dry filter that is stickied here, i decided to make my own tank.

after hunting down some glass and got all my supplies, this is what i came up with

the design

tank2-1.jpg

the process

DSC_0074.jpg

DSC_0080.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

DSC_0083.jpg

final resting place and lights

DSC_0087.jpg

DSC_0089.jpg

all finished

DSC_0094.jpg

DSC_0096.jpg

Edited by disaster999

Nice! you certainly are handy to do that yourself.! the only thing that worries me about your design is the lack of a frame to help keep it all together (you know, like the one that goes around the top and bottom of a storebought fish tank.) are you planning to use one??

I bet you saved yourself a bundle, those biocubes are not cheap!

None of my fish tanks have frames, I think their for display more then anything.

That looks great, I had a similar one made for my Bettas, though I didn't make it LOL, I payed a guy to.

the glass i used is thick enough so that the brace isnt needed. i repaired my 55 gal tank recently and completely re-siliconed all the glass pieces. the glass i used for this 14 gal tank is thicker than the one on my 55 gal tank!

the only reason some tanks of braces is because of cost. they use thinner glass to make their tanks. but the thin glass isnt thick enough at the edges to hold back the pressure from the water so a brace is used to support it.

• 2 weeks later...
the only reason some tanks of braces is because of cost. they use thinner glass to make their tanks. but the thin glass isnt thick enough at the edges to hold back the pressure from the water so a brace is used to support it.

That makes me feel safe. Not! :peeka

You are quite handy to have around. Are you taking orders yet? :lol1

• 2 weeks later...

sorry ive been pretty busy lately....

there is a cover for the tank. a sheet of clear plastic that keeps the dust and bugs out. also prevents fish from jumping. ill seriously consider making a few for you guys if theres enough interests :P

heres some update pictures

DSC_0123.jpg

DSC_0134.jpg

DSC_0131.jpg

DSC_0133.jpg

DSC_0137.jpg

DSC_0147.jpg

Oh how cute, it's "Nemo"! Saltwater tanks are alot of work. Nice job on the tank. Good luck with it.

its definately a lot more work than fresh water. just water changes alone, you need to get either distilled water or reverse osmosis water. its got to be as clean as possible. then mix the salt to the right ratio. then corals are light intensive so need new lighting...

but the end result is worth slaving over

I admire you handy work! How many gallons does that little thing hold? I wish I was confident enough to make one. You did a good job with the silicone, it looks very professional.

thanks =) i used painters tape and taped off the area i dont want silicone on. rippped the tape off as soon as i laid and smoothed out the silicone

ill seriously consider making a few for you guys if theres enough interests :P

You'de have to come up with a price - I'd definately consider it. I'm not confident enough to go saltwater with anything bigger than that, and yours seems a perfect size for newbies.

• 2 years later...
Guest greatestamericanfisherman

what did you use to seperate the tank from the filter, because i always wanted to build an internal filter like that just did'nt know what to use for a seperator. also did you use a powerhead to return the water into the tank.

Edited by greatestamericanfisherman