Sign in to follow this  
Shamu23

Question About My Moor

Ok, so my black moor has never been as fat or round as the other fishies. You can really tell from top view. Why is this? He gets plenty of food, and he's always been like this, all my other fishies r nice and fat, he is too, but not as much, why?

here's a pic of him:

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z99/Sha...23/IMG_1026.jpg

and a top view video of the gang

http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z99/Sha...nt=MVI_1072.flv

Edited by Shamu23

Hi Shamu! I believe your little guy looks great and maybe its indeed a boy.. males tend to be on the less fatter side.. the females who carry eggs usually look more round.. also could just be genetics.. some fish will get fat and others will stay slim... maybe he's getting good fitness in the tank :rofl

I have actually seen alot of moors in stores as of late that look the same way....they don't have the belly like moors that I used to see in stores....maybe it's just how they are genetically.

Yours definately does not look underfed or unhealthy to me!

Sparky is only now starting to plump up a little and I've had him for about a year now (got him when he was about 3/4", about 2 - 2 1/2" now).

When he was little, long and very slim

Sparky-cutie.jpg

Now, bigger and filled out a bit.

100_4887.jpg

It might just be how yours is growing and it'll eventually plump up, or it just may be 'naturally slim' .

yeah, maybe. I feed them once a day except on tuesdays, he seems healthy and active though :)

Maybe, just maybe, he might have soemthing like a little bit of comet or something in him, that would explain the long and skinny body he has

maybe, but I guess i'll never know unless he grows like 12 inches long lol

yeah, maybe. I feed them once a day except on tuesdays, he seems healthy and active though :)

I guess it has something to do w/ your feeding schedule. When I feed my fish twice a day, they look skinny. I can my schedule to 4 feed per day 2xblood worm and 2xpellet (very very very very small feed) and now they look big.

the others r really fat and round, especially my calico fantail, he's like a little pingpong ball with fins lol

I have a calico Telescope that has the same body type your moor has, hes never gotten round just long....some times its in there genetics :D

My moor is the same way. He has gotten longer since I got him, but not that much fatter. He has plumped up some, but he seems to be getting longer instead of fatter.

Guest Gerbie

I'm going to agree with most of the other people here. My moor looks exactly the same way, more long than deep bodied. I was worried that my ryukin was just taking all the food, but even after hand feeding, Google (my black moor) still looks long and slender, rather than chubby, like my other goldies. From, the pic, it looks like they might just need to age a little before they get that deep-bodied look, although Google looks a little more long bodied than the pic. I was a little worried about mine too, but it sounds pretty normal!

well, its good to know, cause I was really wondering about that, he gets the same amount of food cause I handfeed them several times a week, and he's always the first to eat from my hand!

I have noticed this moor/telescope body type in pretty much every store that I've been to. My theory is that the fish were more fragile than the chain stores wanted, and they had them cross either a common or comet in with them to try to make them more hardy.

I like the appearance of these new fish, but considering I'm looking for a black moor and a telescope, and not a long-bodied-goldfish-with-giant-eyes, I'm still going to keep looking.

Although I really do like the slender ones, I'm worried they would outgrow a normal goldfish tank... :stars

I dont hink they'd grow any bigger, just not as fat lol, so that might actaully make them smaller