Are These "boxed Setups" Worth It?

FishFace

I was browsing the Fosters & Smith website and ran across these:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...mp;pcatid=13976

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...mp;pcatid=10677

Are they good if someone wanted to keep a mini-reef tank with corals and such? (I've been toying with the idea a bit, and randomly ran across these setups).

I've been looking into the 12 gallon deluxe. It seems like a decent product for the price. the only thing you would need to add is a protine skimmer and possibly a powerhead for water movement.

I'd love to have a marine tank someday, I've already done all the research but then when I had the chance I chose a 29 gallon goldfish tank instead, darn those cute chubby fat fishy faces :glare:

yes, 12 gallons is a bit too small for marine, 20 gallons should be the minumum and would only be enough for about 3 or 4 small fish, I was only gonna put 2 clownfish and 2 damsles in my 46 gallon when it was supposd to be a marine tank, now i've got goldies in it instead :rolleyes:

These nano tank setups are good for a beginner reef setup. You would be best to put a protein skimmer on there if you can. Check out (http://www.nanotuners.com) and you can see if they have a skimmer for the tank you want. Red Sea came out with a 34 gal tank with a skimmer in it already and they are really clean looking tanks that are reef ready. With the power compact lights you would only want soft corals and low light corals though.

12 gallons is not too small for saltwater period- small tanks are quite popular and if you modify the tank to have a good skimmer, put a beefy light on it and stock lightly they can do A-okay as a small zoanthid/paly tank with possibly a nano goby or something similar. Tolbert is right, Red Sea has come out with a nice one! It's called the Red Sea Max. If you are looking into an Aquapod or a biocube it's a good idea to remove all the carbon from its designated spot and replace it with a skimmer. A brand called Sapphire has come out with some really nice (though expensive) skimmers for all sizes of biocubes. If you want to do a reef I'd suggest getting one of these bad boys :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest andyman

i agree. 12 is not too small at all. i have a 5 gallon sw with acouple of corals in there which is thriving. i also have a 34 that's been up and running for acouple of months so far. it's a cadlights ( www.cadlights.com ) 34 sig series. they make some great looking tanks. if you're looking into biocubes and the red sea max tank, take a look at the cad tanks.

I like the 24 but I think the metal halide system is a bit pricey (I am a tighty!). I like it also because it is glass. I am located about 100 miles south of Dr. Foster and Smith. I visited the place a couple of years ago and was VERY impressed!

Edited by aquamann