Anyone Heard Of Or Seen A Red Cap Moor?

claire_uk

I was at large fish store on Friday and they had what look like red cap moors. Has anyone heard of these? I couldnt get a pic as there were too many staff around and i know they dont like ppl taking pics. Could this be a Moor or was there something wrong with the fish? I have never seen any b4. Just wondering.

No. But that does not mean that a fish cannot be a cross between breeds and have a combination of the signature features of both.

I have seen Moors with 3 eyes. I have seen fish with telescope eyes and a wen. So, I guess it is perfectly possible that you could create a fish that has the red cap wen, white body and telescope eyes.

It is not a recognised breed or color/conformation for any breed, but if it is something that you find attractive, it could make a wonderful tank comment piece! :)

it would make a nice fish, and they did look cute, different but cute! I couldnt have a fish with telescopic eyes etc as i have a boystrous tank of orandas and a shubby! But i suppose if it is a red cap it would have some oranda in it?! It was just strange to see a fish that i have never seen before. They also had tanks labeled as Veils, most were not, but i think a few would have been very nice veil if looked after properly, they had the characteristic tail.

• 1 month later...

I've had Telescope eyed orandas, they are sold here as "Dragon Orandas". But I've only seen red and white ones, I'll bet a black one with a red cap would be interesting.....

:D

No. But that does not mean that a fish cannot be a cross between breeds and have a combination of the signature features of both.

I have seen Moors with 3 eyes. I have seen fish with telescope eyes and a wen. So, I guess it is perfectly possible that you could create a fish that has the red cap wen, white body and telescope eyes.

It is not a recognised breed or color/conformation for any breed, but if it is something that you find attractive, it could make a wonderful tank comment piece! :)

3 eyes?!? i just have to see one of those...

I did not take a picture. I was fishing around in a large "pond" of smaller fish (2-3 inchers) looking for some smaller pearlscales to buy and found a cute colored moor. I pulled it out into the floating bowl to have a closer look - and was shocked to see, literally, three complete, working eyes on the fish. When I pointed it out to the fellow selling the fish, he, too, was suprised.

Shows you how closely those fish were "culled" and even "raised"!!!!!

:rolleyes:

• 6 months later...
Guest luster4

i think that must be the type of fish i must have! i got wot i thought was a calico moor, but i found out it was a red cap, i've never been sure wot type of fish it was as i've never heard of a red cap moor before, but it MUST be.

it was some years ago... but i did see a black moore with a red wen, but at the time i didnt have the space to house him. its been so long since i saw it, i was sure it was a dream lol

but yes claireuk i've seen 1 it reminded me of the 70s

• Admin

My Sonar is a red cap Dragon eye fish, hes cap isnt that big but its there. I have always wanted one since I seen that photo you guys posted up. That photo has been on the net for years :D I havent seen a Moor like that but have seen them in calico and white colors :D

Wow, that dragon oranda is a beautiful fish, and the red cap black moors sound interesting too. Imagine if those oddities didn't slip by every now and then, we probably wouldn't even have developed fantails.

Una