Sign in to follow this  
Lolafish

Is It 8pm Yet?

I was wondering if he ever breeds his own? I was hoping he might have some cheaper culls :yeah: Columbus, OH is only like 2 hours away from me so I'd be able to drive there, but there's no way I'm going to be able to talk my husband into spending more than $30 on one fish.

Are there any Pearlscales that don't have the crown? Crowns and wens scare me!

lol, is it cause it looks like a brain? My mom and bro thought that the wens on orandas were their brains :rolleyes: , then when I got my pearlie I told my mom that he had a wen (she doesnt think that crowned pearlscales look too pretty) she was like "what!?!?! I thought u got a somewhat normal fish for once (by that she means no wen) so he's gonna turn into a big ugly brain fish?" Those werent her exact words, but kinda like that lol, she's used to it now though. I love fish with wens, they have just the cutest faces, my little Taco has a nice little wen growing.

Yes - he has one classical calico Pearlscale with no crown.....

As far as "cheaper", I strongly suspect he has some fish rattling around in that big 'ole house of his that are mismatched fishes from past imported collections. Usually he is willing to deal quite nicely on fish like that - and he has some really pretty ones that, for one reason or another, did not sell immediately.....

You can call and see....... I really do not know.....

I'm a little bit torn in my fish shopping. On the one hand, I don't show or breed, and I suspect that what I find appealing in a fish has nothing to do with the breed standard, so there's really no reason for me to go out and spend big bucks on a fish. I'm also inexperienced, and I would hate to spend serious dollars on a fish only to find that I can't keep it healthy.

On the other hand, the amount of money I spend on a fish really looks to be only a small percentage of the total cost of fishkeeping. Also, since I have limited space and a healthy fish can live for many years, it seems silly not to take the one time expense to get a better quality fish.

I'm also wondering if one of the reasons that people feel like they aren't good at caring for goldfish is that the cheaper goldfish aren't as healthy and are therefore much more difficult to care for properly.

What I really want is a fish that appeals to my eye, is healthy, and has vibrant colors. I certainly don't care if it has a deformed anal fin or anything like that. I wonder if I would have more success from a place like Tommy's rather than from a pet store.

he doesnt ship to Canada :( I'd love to get little Speckles, or at least the DVD of all the pretty fishies

My DVD came today! I saw my fish too. All of the fish look really, really nice. I am so jealous. Now that the auction is over, how do you find out what the results were on a fish you were bidding on? I didn't get an email saying I was outbid, so I don't know what to do. Should I call and find out if my fish is still available? I wasn't home towards the end, but earlier this afternoon I still had the high bid.

sorry, Lolafish, i dont know anything to help you with this :(

but in his gallery though, the first fish, Buster, is the strangest goldfish i ever seen! to the point that its kind of creepy :yikes

http://www.goldfishconnection.com/auction/...Num_rsGallery=7

Edited by love-rabbit-fish

sorry, Lolafish, i dont know anything to help you with this :(

but in his gallery though, the first fish, Buster, is the strangest goldfish i ever seen! to the point that its kind of creepy :yikes

http://www.goldfishconnection.com/auction/...Num_rsGallery=7

I think that's an Oranda/Bubble Eye cross. Not an official variety, I think is what Daryl said. It's kind cool looking!

IF you did NOT get an "OutBid" notice, you were the winner. Either you can call KenF. today or tomorrow or he will call you and you can arrange to have him ship you your new fish at your convenience.

I won a fish - we got back from the farm 5 minutes before the auction was over and when my hubby got on the computer I had been outbid. I was willing to let it go, but my hubby popped up and upped my bid to a ridiculous amount ibn the last 10 seconds or so!!!! I was not really prepared to pay that amount of money for it, but he said it was my birthday present from him and his folks - as a kind of a special thank you for all the sitting/cooking/cleaning I have been doing for them.

Wow.

I won the big blue Ranchu.

:)

Guest ed42d

Congrat's on getting the blue Ranchu. It's looks like a really great fish. Can't wait to see more pics!

IF you did NOT get an "OutBid" notice, you were the winner. Either you can call KenF. today or tomorrow or he will call you and you can arrange to have him ship you your new fish at your convenience.

I won a fish - we got back from the farm 5 minutes before the auction was over and when my hubby got on the computer I had been outbid. I was willing to let it go, but my hubby popped up and upped my bid to a ridiculous amount ibn the last 10 seconds or so!!!! I was not really prepared to pay that amount of money for it, but he said it was my birthday present from him and his folks - as a kind of a special thank you for all the sitting/cooking/cleaning I have been doing for them.

Wow.

I won the big blue Ranchu.

wow, congratulation!!!! It is a rare fish with a high price :) . I am glad for the fish since I know he is going to get the best for the rest of his life.

congrats daryl. That is awesome. Lucky fish too :)

Thanks Daryl! I emailed him yesterday, but I'll call him tomorrow. I'm sure he's swamped right now. I'm so happy you got the Blue! I saw him on the DVD, and Ken kept saying what a fantastic fish he was. I'm so glad he's going to such a good home!! :hi5 I had seen that you were outbid for a while, and I was hoping he wasn't going to get away from you. :exactly

Daryl, that is so cool! :happydance I saw the blue ranchu swimming on the DVD today, and he is stunning! Isn't it crazy - I have that DVD for days now, and just today was able to sit down in peace and quiet and watch it? :thud This house is crazy lately, I tell ya. :D I had to send everybody off doing something else, I hate watching such a relaxing DVD when everybody just keeps blabbering around me. :rolleyes:

But seriously, I think Ken has outdone himself this time. This has to be one of the best fish collection he ever had. For those who have the DVD, the most stunning fish I ever saw is that red/white broadtail ryukin in tank 49. :heart Man, what a wonderful specimen. I bet this fish will get a bidding ware going once he comes into the auction. And those black orandas he has for sale - I haven't seen any decent black orandas in ages. Those things are just adorable, and not half bad in the price either.

And so many georgous telescopes to chose from - I love the bronze/chocolate ones he has in the auction tanks. They are in some tanks with black moors, but clearly aren't black. They look more like bronze/violet to me, and are beautiful.

I will have to go take a look at the #49Ryukin - I do not remember that one specifically. It is rather strange. I have watched that DVD twice, now, and continue to "see" new fish......

What did you think of those classical Chinese Lionheads? (Tanks 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12) I do so love a REAL Lionhead - not a Lionchu...... Those were pretty sweet! (Tank 7!!! :druel:)

I also loved some of the smaller broadtail Ryukins. Talk about dorsal fins. WOW. Those little perky guys were ALL about the fins and the dorsals were to DIE for!

My favorite broadtail Ryukin is that gorgeous light colored one in tank #28. What do you think of that one? The dorsal on that one is really great, too. :druel :

None of the blacks seem to be deep black..... but the teles come the closest. I wonder how much of that is because Ken always says he has trouble keeping black. His water is lower in ph, I think...... He has had them for 5-6 weeks at least. Maybe the fish will darken for someone with a higher pH?

I am going to have to wait to get my fish for a week..... gotta go on a trip this coming week.....

I keep considering just buying the DVD just to drool over the goldfish with a friend of mine. All of his goldfish are seriously out of my price range, but they are some of the most amazing I have ever seen.

In the auction, I saw that blue Ranchu, and I thought it was absolutely stunning. You're so lucky to be getting it, Daryl! :happydance

Maybe when I'm a millionaire and have a 1,000-gallon-tank, I'll make it into a fancy goldfish tank, and THEN buy all these beautiful fish!

I cannot afford many myself - and this one is a rare one, alright! (thanks to my inlaws!)

I think those DVDs have helped me a tremendous amount. I find that there are soooo many types and qualities of fish available to see onthe DVD. Not only are they relaxing to watch (Virtual fish tank), but I learn what I like and do not like, what is "good" and not so "good" by comparing them to each other, and what is "valued" and not "valued" quite so much (not necessarily the same as "good" and not so "good"!)

I have never seen a fish that is "perfect" but the DVD will present fish all the way along the spectrum and in many instances it is easy to see WHY a fish may be valued less. It is a great lesson for "judging" fish - helped by the fact that Ken has them sorted into tanks of "quality" in many cases. (Quality as determined by TungHoi) You can see 6 tanks of Chinese Lionheads, from top grade to lesser grades. Some of the "lesser" comes from size differences, but there are other qualities that are made more easy to see when you have them all separated out like that.

I also find it interesting to see certain types of fish that are considered highly desirable (as shown by the price), yet they are not necessarily the closest to perfection in conformation. It is an interesting lesson in fish, conformation, different countrie's likes and dislikes, and price.

Now if I could only find a way to control all my drool......