Sign in to follow this  
koikitten

The Ideal Goldfish Diet?

I've been considering since the mass pet food recall to stop feeding my fish commercial foods. With two new goldfish to be bought soon (black moor and telescope), I thought now would be the best time to ask about how to go about this.

I've tried gel foods with my koi in the past, and found the smell far too strong. The koi didn't really care for it, either. I probably did something wrong, but even so, I just don't want to create gel food again. I wouldn't mind supplementing their diet with a tiny bit of the stuff, but I think that I would only use a recipe without any fish or meat in it to lessen the smell.

So, what is required in a goldfish diet, especially for young, growing goldfish?

I'm basically looking for what nutritional requirements goldfish have, and possibly some sources and additives.

(Also, are there any gel foods that don't have that killer odor?)

I'm currently working off of this: http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/4468/nutritn1.html

And at this point, I'm wondering if implementing these foods into their diet would be ideal:

Protein:

Goldfish appear to need quite a lot of protein in their diet. I've been thinking of just using spirulina for this. It should also bring out the colours of the fish.

Amino Acids:

Wheat Germ: Arginine, Cysteine, Histidine?

Spirulina: Lysine, Tryptophon

Broccoli: Methionine

Dehydrated Chicken: Isoleucine, Leucine, Phenylalanine, Threonine, and Valine

Carbohydrates:

I'll probably be using wheat germ as a source of carbohydrates, unless there have been known problems with this source.

Fats:

Unknown at this time. Any suggestions would be very appreciated on this.

Fiber:

Romaine lettuce and broccoli.

Vitamins and Minerals:

Any suggestions here would be useful as well!

Extra:

I'm going to add a small amount of garlic into the mixture, as I've heard it can be extremely beneficial to goldfish.

So, any thoughts on this would be extremely appeciated, especially on the wheat germ and dehydrated chicken.

Thank you for reading this. :)

Edited by Peaceflower

Hello peaceflower, interesting article. not sure about the chicken though. one of the mods could probably shed some light on that subject. i like to give my goldfish a wide variety of foods including 3 different types of gel food. tuna is the first one. also have peas, zucchini, spinach. and finally a fruit gelfood containing apple, melon and kiwi fruit. as well as that they get hikari pellets plus garlic and organic orange every now and then. also tetra delica which we can get in the uk as a treat.

tetradelica.jpg

it comes in 3 different flavours, bloodworm, brine shrimp and daphnia. have seen information on people using boiled rice and eggs but have never tried it myself. am always open to new suggestions though. be interested in the outcome of the chicken as food. alistair

The in between treat idea with good vitimans (especially C and K), low fat, are Cantaloupe and banannas - they are a Goldies tasters choice. Since I work at home I have a bad habit of walking by the tanks and seeing their begging little faces - Over - feeding is a death sentence - but these two items with natural peas do well to keep them regular and satisfied; and satisfies my belief they eat enough - I have been informed starches like cooked potatoes, although they love white potatoes - offer little vitiman value. They have difficulty metabolizing those type of starches - the same is claimed if they are fed kernals of corn - they love them but derive little benifit.

Just a note - if you bring up the need for a stable diet for proper nutrition - the type of lighting and strenth has been proven to go a long way in the vitiman and mineral health benifits of the animal. Note - alsoi - that the primary uptake of amino acids is thru the water. People, like myself, use additive amino acids to the tank when changing the water.

Eric

I'll have to look into those amino acids. :)

Thanks for the help so far!

I'm still looking for opinions on the wheat germ and dehydrated chicken, though.

Pro-gold is my goldfishes main diet then they get some frozen brine shrimp, bloodworm's and some zucchini and a few sinking shrimp pellets.

One note: Stay away from Tubliflex style foods - I have heard many cases of inherient diseases spread to fish under their type of drying methods. Hikari has an excellant new line of a patented freeze dried process that mitigates the disease problem. They have such things as blood worms in small packets - careful - they are high in protein and - if your goldies are not eating veggies (which I noticed thios morning most oif my frill plants have turned to twigs in 24 hours) the high protein could cause a constipation problem.

And - by the way - you might want to try something fun (well- not for the cricket) - my goldies love to go after the crickets scurrying over the surface. They have learned to back off and shoot water onto the top of the cricket to break the crickets water tension holding him on the surface. In nature this would be part of their staple. It briongs some of the wild genes out in a goldie Yum Yum..! The ones sold at pet stores are supposed to be certified grown free of disease - and its great live protein - crunch crunch....

Eric

Thanks, I've been considering trying a few crickets. :)

I've also heard bad things about tubifex worms, I've never trusted them with any of my fish.

I have heard that Progold is a pretty good staple food, and I keep considering trying it along with these other foods. :) Thanks for everyone's help, but at this point I'm going with ProGold.

well first if you are going to give them something that you want vitiman and nutrient rich and accessible by their syste, - think of ground flaxseed - it is loaded with Omega 3 fatty acids that fish need, be careful with overdoing the cariety as it can tend to give them digestion problems - powder frind your dry pellets - pill crushers make that simple. treats are once and a while I alternate 5 high quality pelleted foods, two are chosen per meal activity, fed three times per day with plenty of tank plants for their salad requirements. The dry pellets are ground because many goldies have a tendency to develop impaction of the dry material in their organs because of the relatively long time the food takes to travel thru their system ...

The grind powder mushing process includes a generous serving of the flaxseed meal. which are crushed and mushed together with a little garlic oil and a squished pea to meet their veggie requirement. The garlic has been proven essential in immunodeficiency repair and immune system defense support against oipportunists like ICH and Cottony wool disease.

If you wish to kick the protein bar as a treat - live crickets are the best action for their inbred natural instincts - careful with tyhe pritein levels as this could cause a cork in the solid wast elimination process - because a common problem with goldies in general tends to be cionstipation; and milk of magnesia does not come in their dosing size - Epson salts is the preferred remedy in those cases.

Eric