Stocking A "coolwater" Setup - Ideas?

Hi Guys, I'm just pondering with the idea of upgrading my current 10 gallon White Cloud Mountain Minnow tank to a 25-30 gallon tank and keeping just cold/cool water species (other than goldfish). The tank will be kept at room temperature (18-21C) although I can fix a heater to stop it falling below a certain level or set it at say 22C for other species. I will upgrade the filter, add an airstone and then just transer the decor from the 10 gallon (Java Ferns and Anubias species on bogwood, river stones) and maybe add some more plants.

I already have 8 WCMM's, so I'm just looking for stocking ideas

These were suggested to me

Rice fish - how many?

Paradise fish - not sure about this one...

Zebra/Leopard danios

Hillstream loach - any other loachs or bottom dwellers?

Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help guys! :)

Guest avalon

No idea what rice fish are

Paradise fish are awesome fish, just make sure you have a good lid with absolutely no escape routes, Gavin my Paradise has found every single hole in the lid of his tank and jumped out, I've got all the holes plugged with filter floss now LOL.

Danios are good, though I've always thought they seem almost exactly the same as mountain cloud minnows

Hillstream loach would work, though it does need good aeration and a string current.

My suggestion would be 6 albino/bronze cories, if you set the temp to 22 degrees they'll do fine, and their cute as.

Bristlenose catfish would also be fine in that set up.

Edited by avalon

Thanks Avalon :)

I think the full name is Japanese Rice Fish, here is a picture

http://opencage.info/pics.e/large_9022.asp

I quite like the idea of some Danios, I think the Leopard and Zebra Danios are quite distinctive in colour and pattern in relation to White Cloud's, so I would like some of them.

I think Paradise fish are very pretty indeed - can they be kept singly or are they better in pairs/groups - how many could I put in a 25-30 gallon with some WCCM'S, Danios and a Hillstream loach?

As much as as I like Corys I'm not gonna go with those this time. What about coldwater shrimps - good idea or not?

Any other ideas guys? Thankyou in advance :)

Edited by mrbumblebee

Guest avalon

1 paradise fish only, there aggressive little buggers when they want to be. Thankfully they can't actually hurt other fish, they just flare and make faces at them. Though when you have 2 males together they'll tear each other to bits (their quite similar to Bettas)

25g

1 x Paradise Fish

1 x Hillstream Loach

8 x WCMM's

10 x Danios

30g

1 x Paradise Fish

1 x Hillstream Loach

10 x WCMM's

12 x Danios

My opinion anyway, I know some people will say it's overstocked, but hey their teeny tiny fish with virtually no bioload.

Hey Mr B! I don't want to be a party-pooper here but I think I remember Sandy telling me that Danios (being fast-swimming stream fish) like a minimum of 30 gals so that they have room to school. I wonder if others can confirm that this is right?

We were exploring stocking ideas a while back as Inkfish was thinking of a tropical tank before deciding on her puffer. I absolutely love the zebra's though and would love to have a community tropical tank. :yeah: