So I Want To Set Up A Rubbermaid...

Rubber maids are my best buddy! (LOL).. get a good sized one though wally world has cheap 50gallon tubs.. get a good filter or two I keep mine bare bottom but gravel is good for cycling them if you dont use cycled water.. air stone is a must.. and ive noticed that bungy cords work well to wrap around them so the tubs dont bow out.. the only issue i seem to have is if the tub is on the floor and i vacume it the suction is poor.. if the tub is up higher the water flow is better.. maybe just mine dunno.. but tubs are great to have and good for QT too..

I have that same problem with siphoning the gunk off the bottom -- if the container is on the floor my Python Clean-and-Fill doesn't get a lot of suction. It still does the job though, only a lot slower.

I was worried about bowing out with the Sterlite, opaque containers I got from nnnnnn, so I got two of them and put one inside the other. That worked great. I have smaller containers though. One holds ten gallons, and the other, longer one holds 15 gallons. I don't fill them all the way up to the top either.

I use two corner, inside box filters with airstones on each container and rinse the media when I do a bottom vac every three days. I also have heaters on the bottom and gravel in bags from an established aquarium to help with ammonia issues. So far, the babies I've got in both containers are doing GREAT!

I also have a bigger, 36 inch fiberglass, terra-cotta looking round flower pot type container that I use as a QT. It has a big power head and filter on it and works great, but the power head was a little pricey. It was like $70.

I even have lighting on my containers. For the little ones, I cover one end with a piece of glass and lay an old aquarium light across the top. You MUST make sure the glass is secure and not flimsy or too small, otherwise your light will surely fall in the water. For my big 70 gallon QT I have a shop light above it with a piece of plexiglass between it and the QT.

If you don't mind my asking, what are you using the container for????

I have never had a problem with blowing out a side of a container - but they can get swaysided....

As far as not getting a syphon to work well on a tub that is on the floor, there is a far more important problem you will run into with a tub on the floor..... A tub on the floor will not SEAL to the floor - and will allow condensation and water underneath the edge. This will never dry - and, depending on your floor type - can cause all kinds of problems. I have hardwood floors - not something I want any water to sit on!!!!!!

Get a couple of 2X4 pieces. If you have none, you can buy a cheap 2X4 board at the hardware store and have them cut it into 4 pieces for you. They usually cut for free. I put the 4 pieces of board standing the "tall" side up under the tub - lined up like this:

l l l l

Place the tub across these braces to properly support the bottom and raise the tub off the floor. You may get water spilled that may get under the braces, but at least you will not have to worry about condensation. This will also raise your tub appoximately 4 inches off the floor - making it possible to syphon it fairly well.

One other caution - most tubs have a small "weephole" on the upper lip. Be careful that you do not fill over this hole - or the thing will drain. I am not capable of getting a waterfall HOB filter to not splash in the return on a tub, for I cannot raise the water level high enough because of the weep holes.....

A nice, long HOB filter will help support the side from bending, too. The filter is stiff.....

depending on your floor type - can cause all kinds of problems. I have hardwood floors - not something I want any water to sit on!!!!!!

Get a couple of 2X4 pieces. If you have none, you can buy a cheap 2X4 board at the hardware store and have them cut it into 4 pieces for you. They usually cut for free. I put the 4 pieces of board standing the "tall" side up under the tub - lined up like this:

l l l l

Place the tub across these braces to properly support the bottom and raise the tub off the floor.

See? Once again you amaze me with your knowledge. I got a 46 gallon rubbermaid to use for QT, and right now it's sitting on my hardwood floor, but no water in it right now. Now I know how to protect my floor....thank you!!!!

Guest lioness

Hi Everyone. I was reading this thread and found it interesting. Yes, tubs r a great thing to have. But if u have syphon problems, get a pump and ur problems will be solved. Also, maybe u can put the lid of the rubbermaid under the tub to prevent any spills, Just an idea.

Eileen :hi

Guest avalon

Another warning, one which I didn't bother listening to when I set up a tub, is be sure the one you have is safe, and will not release toxins into the water, been there done that and it was NOT pretty, I lost so many fish do that stupid tub. Generally the clear plastic tubs are fine, but solid black tubs are more likely to contain toxins/chemicals which can leach into the water.