Sign in to follow this  
Wizz

How Old Are My Fish?

ok i'm quite sure my common wizz'et is 7 years old, but my friends asure me i haven't had her that long.

but i've been told that you can age a fish by the scales and fin's, is this true and how do you go about doing it?

oh yeah i've also got a comet about two years old (he was a rescue) so i would just like too know their true.

As far as I know, there is no acurate way to "age" a fish by looking at scales and fins.

Fish grow at different paces - determined by their specific breed, genetic makeup, and environment.

It is possible to take a "well bred" fish with extraordinary genetic predisposition for "size" and feed that fish such that it is up to 10 inches long in one year. It is also possible to take a fish from the same spawning and only have a tiny fish of 1.5 inches or less in that same year.

Genetics, envrionment and culture will all determine what a fish looks like. These are far too important influences - overshadowing any "size" or "fin" or "scale" differences.

ah well thanks for the info thought something like that myself

i know wizz'et had her growth stuned thanks to me keeping her in a tank way to small for for for about two years so i knew it'd be hard to age her just thought i'd ask

you never know till you ask

but thanks Daryl

No, but Mars has turned white and he's my 'old man' so who knows...lol *whispers - don't tell him I said that*

He's about 3.5 - 4 inches now and I've had him for almost two years, Poe has already grown 1.5 inches and I haven't had her for a year, so it really all depends on a ton of variables that you don't have control over, and few that you do (mainly housing in the best conditions possible and feeding them good food).

well wizz'et and chill get the best food peas blood worm ect and they live in a 30gal tank i know it's a bit small for a common and a comet but chill i sort of rescued from my sister he was a unwanted fish

a few pics just to show you how they're doing

1. old girl wizz'et (i think shes kept her colour well)

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?...;imageID=398671

2. chill. the young one, think he's male

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?...;imageID=348334

Guest avalon

Theres no real way to tell. One of my nine year old fish has gone from pure black to nearly orange and he has cataracts on his eyes, which makes you think he's old, but Peach who's the same age apart from being massive now, looks the same as when I bought him.

Size doesn't help much either, as I have Onyx who's got his breeding stars and he's barely two inches long. The breeding stars mean he must be at least 3 years old, but he is so stunted.

ok i should know this but what are breeding stars? if chill is a male this could help me age him at some point

i'm pretty sue he's two if not at least 1/half years old

he has just started chaseing wizz'et around just after feeding nudging her bum area but wizz'et just swims faster and gets away from him.

Breeding stars almost look like little pimples on the gill covers. I don't know if that helps. They can also get the bumps on their fins as well, that's how it is with my Godiva, I didn't know he was a he until I zoomed in on his fins and saw them.

Unless you kept them out in ponds for winter and summer, you won't be able to tell.

If weathered in very hot then very cold water with the seasons, the scales will form rims in contrast much like the rings of a tree.

thats cool to know, thats what sparked my intrest in the first place, a man i work with loves his fishing and, told me it was posible to age the fish that he caught, although he could'nt remember how it was done? (he read about it in a magazie)

so in a sense an fish kept in a controled envioment is near imposible to age ;)