My Oranda Is Sick Help Me Plz

NismoSkylineGTR

"Near" is 1hr and 45min away. I have to drive all the way to VA to see him. E-mail correspondence is 35$ but he's always been a pretty good vet so he's worth the drive and paying for the advice. If he doesn't respond to the e-mail soon I'll call the office. "We are put o this earth to help others..."

Really impatient to hear what this might be.

Normally I'd say bacterial ulcer disease, possibly following parasite attack or injury, but the fact it's only on his vent and he's not showing other symptoms makes things less clear.

Hey - who else is in the tank? Just goldies or do you have a pleco, by any chance?

Edited by Pixiefish

Normally I'd say bacterial ulcer disease, possibly following parasite attack or injury, but the fact it's only on his vent and he's not showing other symptoms makes things less clear.

Hey - who else is in the tank? Just goldies or do you have a pleco, by any chance?

As soon as I hear something I'll let y'all know. I called the office and was unable to speak to the doc because he was predisposed but I did leave a message for him.

How's the fish doing today.

only 7 more gold fishes and 1 small rubber lips

my other fish are fine

Edited by NismoSkylineGTR

My vet believes it's an ulcerated bacterial infection. Probably rooted deep inside and coming out. He says you need to get him in pristine water NOW, keep it pristine, boost the oxygen level and start pumping anti-bacs in him ASAP. Melafix he says will not be even remotely strong enough to deal with this problem. He feels that injected anti-bacs would be best but if you can't do shots then deffinately go with AB foods. He also warns to watch the other fish for similar signs by chance the may possible for this fish to share his misery. Hope this helps some!

Well I was way off. After I did a bunch of research I thought it was a symptom of a virus. Just one more way to prove I don't know everything. The fish may be more ill than he shows because for wild animals (which goldfish used to be) showing weakness makes you a target for predators. I know there are no predators in the fish tank but instinct is hard wired.

The wound needs to be dealt with asap.Although the 10 gallon may be small,it's a good idea to isolate him(her),that way,you're more able to control the water params ,(as Pristene water is a MUST)and treat accordingly with proper meds.

For something that serious,I'd be inclined to go with the Vet-given shots,but I know that they're not always the easiest to obtain,especially if you don't know a Vet that cares for fish.Personally,if you can't do that,the first thing that I'd do is order The Goldfish's Connection Medi-gold.It has several antibiotics in it,one being a Sulfa drug,which will hopefully inhibit the growth of anymore bacteria while the rest of the meds fight what the fish all ready has.and it's also the next best way to get the meds into your fish as quickly as possible.

Medi-Gold is a good product to use against aeromonas infections (often the cause of ulcers) and it should work well against the other common bacterial illnesses as well.

As a back up,you can also add a general full spectrum antibiotic to the water,but do realize that they generally will not help near as much as the medicated food would because waterborn meds aren't readily absorbed as well.

I have to also mention,that you do have your tank all ready maxed out with no growing room to spare for your fish.With this being the case,it really means that you'll have to do twice the work to keep this tank from becoming a continuous on going problem for you.

As mentioned,Test Strips are a good for an idea of where your tank is,but always assume that those numbers are much worse than what it actually says,because they always are.My best advice would be to invest in a Drop Test Kit like the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Master kit,and to up the amount being changed in your tanks.On a cycled tank,there should be no ammonia,no nitrites, and any reading no matter how low,is not a good thing. If water out of the tap reads 0 on these,then you definitely know that you may not be changing out enough water. Nitrates should remain under forty,ideally under twenty if possible. On a maxed out tank,Nitrates are one of those things that can skyrocket overnight and cause a lot of fishy illness also,so it really is wise to keep an eye on those too..

You were missing one of those numbers,so I'm not sure if your test was showing,Nitrites,or Nitrates.Maybe recheck for me,just for my peace of mind. :krazy:

I wish you good luck on treating your fish,what a pretty thing by the way.

Please keep us posted on the progress. :)

MG= MediGold. Order it from Rick at the Goldfish Connection

http://www.goldfishconnection.com/shop/lis...php?parentId=21

I'm also wondering if the MetroMeds would be better.

Why don't you try asking at Ricks when you make your order? The fish needs treating ASAP. Ryuu's idea of 'overnighting' is advisable.