Sign in to follow this  
Guest Halloween

Phoenix

Guest Halloween

I was wondering how likely it is for a person to just stumble upon a Phoenix in a non lfs? Was exactly is it that makes a Phoenix a Phoenix?

first of all a phoenix in a pet store i would say is extremely rare i mean in an lfs they are rare as well. i don't quite know what makes a phoenix a phoenix but if Daryl stumbles across this thread she can tell you she has a couple of them. and if i am right she has some phoenix fry at the moment

Edited by dan in aus

A Phoenix is a dorsal-less fish with little to no wen. In my opinion, it should have a back that is gently curved from nose to base of the tail - no flat back. The tail is a double tail, with 4 long lobes, held straight behind the fish. The weight of the tail can cause it to drop, but the tail should not have the drop of a veiltail's. The tail, ideally, should be at least as long as the fish's body.

Phoenix can come in any of the colors of Ranchu/Lionhead. It seems to be a feature of the type of fish that color does not develop on them until at least a year of age.

Ranchu or Lionhead can carry a "Phoenix" tail, but this does not make them "Phoenix" fish.

At this time, the likelihood of finding a Phoenix fish in a store is pretty much zero. Even in specialty fish shops, you will probably not find them. There are a few imported from other countries - and these are getting more and more plentiful as more and more interest is expressed in the fish - but as far as I know, there are still not enough extra fish that they are sold in stores. Most reasonable quality Phoenix will cost between $250. to $350 @. Higher quality ones can go for much more.

A Blue Phoenix is not available for purchase anywhere, at this time. They are being bred in attempts to bring back the once extinct breed - and there are too few.

Pixie, here are some pictures from the Bristols Aquarists website in the UK... :)

http://www.bristol-aquarists.org.uk/goldfi...ish/eggfish.htm

The first picture shows rather young fish, and in the other pictures you see more mature ones. Some of those mature ones have alrady too much of a stomach going on for my taste when it comes to a Phoenix. They look more like longfinned lionheads to me when it comes to stomach depth.

One good example of a Phoenix comes from the GFSA website. It has a slender body, nicely straight back that only slopes very gently towards the tail. Too bad the poor thing isn't swimming much, so its hard to tell the flow of the tail, and the tail could be a tad longer, so that it is equal to the body length. Very little headgrowth, which is good.

post-6-1190685374.jpg

Phoenix tails have grown out of popularity, although they were common in one point. All this happened in Asia of course, however, most fancy are also Asian imports or at least strains from them.

Your best bet is to check lion heads and bubble eyes or celestials in hopes of those mislabeling which occurs.

Another bet is to look for collectors or clubs which are centered around goldfishes or ponds, and to ask around.

Edited by maniacholic

I have "old" pictures of some of my Phoenix - but nothing really current. My biggest and best red/white Phoenix blew out his fins with congestion just before the show this year when our power was out for a week. I have not taken pictures and probably will not until he is healed again.

Here are some older shots of my three adult BluePhoenix, a red and white Phoenix (the fish is about 12 inches including tail, now), and a tank of 5 red/white Phoenix. One of them is really a Phoenix-tailed Ranchu, but I have it in my Phoenix breeding program for it has a fine tail and good back.

post-27-1190726230.jpg

post-27-1190726280.jpg

post-27-1190726325.jpg

Guest Halloween

Thanks for this information, I kind of forgot about this question!!!!

Guest Dico

wow i've never heard of these until now and 12 inches!! I've never seen a fish so big :| well, i have and they were scary and in big ponds. Looking at the picture i couldn't imagine it in perspective

Ken of Dandy Orandas has two Phoenix tailed fish for sale right now...... I just saw them pass by in the newest collection he offers..... a solid white and a red, I think. I am not sure of the wens or lack of them, but from what I recall, the fish looked fairly nice. IF they are the ones I am thinking of, they are about $129 or so.

If you are serious about a Phoenix, you might give him a call.

Dico, 12 inch in a phoenix isn't really all that uncommon - there is A LOT of tail involved here. Half of those 12 inch are tail, if not more. Now, if those 12 inch would apply to a ranchu, now that would be a whole other story, since ranchu only have a very short tail, and most of the fish is body. :thud