How To Clean Out Hard Water ?

alanworm

I think you can use white vinegar to remove white hard water mineral deposits - although, you need to rinse very, very well afterwards and take special care to make sure it doesn't come in contact with the tank water at all. Get someone to confirm that for you as I've never had to do it, but I gather it works well :)

As for preventing it - as you happen to have hard water, you don't want to mess with the water chemistry unless the fish are being affected by the higher PH and Gh/Kh (which they've probably adjusted to), so I guess the only thing you can do to prevent mineral deposits is to slightly underfill you tank below the fill mark to prevent water form the surface coming into contact with the glass cover.

Edited by mrbumblebee

White vinegar is, indeed, one of the most benign cleaners you can use for hard water mineral deposits. Sometimes, if they are particularly thick or old, you may need to soak them in vinegar. You can wet a paper towel with vinegar and place it in contact with the mineral deposits and let it sit for an hour or so and then rub them off. You may need to repeat this several times.

Vinegar is not as dangerous to the fish tank as you may think. It is a very weak acid - that is the reason it works to remove the minerals. The small amount that you would be using on the tank is not going to do to much to your tank's pH - particularly if you have adequate buffer (kH). It would be wise, before using larger amounts of vinegar that may get into the water, to test your kH and make sure it has a reading over 80.

If you feel you have gotten "too much" vinegar in the water, it is an easy fix to simply change out a volume of water to counteract any pH aberrations you may have caused.

:)

• 2 months later...

okay i've still have this hard water problem ...its blocking 50% of the light on the strip of the glass on the tank cover....and the vinegar have not been able to clean off the hard water spots... i have been researching to find the best way to get it off but only vinegar came up .. i am heisitated to use household cleaner even thou it is the glass where i put the light because the deposite is on both sides... i was wondering if i can use a household cleaner and then rinse off clean !!! is there ways to remove those chemicals completely after using...? and should i be using that ??? i really wanna get the light through those hard water deposites...what should i do?? and to be sure.. i'm not cleaning the glass on the tank but the tank cover's glass !

Edited by alanworm

Just keep using the vinegar the house hold cleaners would have chemicals in it which would kill your fish even if there is none in the water the fumes can be toxic to your fish. I have used a combination of lemon juice and white vinegar it will take a couple of tries but you will get it all off eventually

Edited by dan in aus

i've seen these products .. and i'm not sure if it will work !!

Rydyt1

13R1 Water and lime scale remover for use on a set-up aquarium. Safe for glass or acrylic. 8 oz.

http://www.pythonproducts.com/a-acc.html

also

Jungle Lime Off-Liquid-8 oz Pump

http://www.junglelabs.com/pages/details.asp?item=NL107P

is it possible to use these ????