Need Help With Sick Fish

wolfsong8

At work they just put in a fancy new salt water tank that hangs on the wall. No one there has ever kept a salt water tank before, or even a fresh water tank for that matter. There are only about 4 or 5 fish in about 30 gal, but they don't seem top be faring well. They all have what looks like fuzzy little white spots on their fins. Some of them have very ragged fins that looks like it might be fin rot. The tank itself has a lot of algal growth in it, and I can't test the water at this point because they didn't get any test kits. That's easy enough to take care of, but I have never kept a salt water tank either, and I really don't know what I am doing. I need help!!! How do I keep these poor little fish from dying? I am not even sure what they are, except that one is a clown fish.

Hi. I'm just thinking it might be a good idea to find out who set the tank up in the first place and if they booked a company to come in and maintain the set-up. Assuming no one has thought about the care of the fish - which would be a little insane - it's going to be quite a task for you to get on top of without prior notice. You'd need a marine test-kit and also a refractometer to measure the salinity. Water-change water needs to be mixed in advance to the right specific gravity, aerated and heated so that it is temperature matched. So you'd need to keep a 30 gal bucket running somewhere. Also, you could try to establish what else is in the tank ie. is there live rock or a protein skimmer? It's quite a lot to get on top of but you could give it a go if you did a SW crash course! Kudos to you for trying to help the fish.

I'm sure Jsrtist will be along soon.

Edited by Pixiefish