Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0? (I don't know why)

10 Gallons

Fantail

Large Stomach, scales sticking out

20 Gallon Filter

1 year old

No new medications

I tried giving it some shrimp pellets about a week ago. I think my friend may have overfed it when she was over.

I think it's constipation, but I want to be sure it isn't dropsy or anything. :/

Thanks!

Hi! I was wondering how long your tank has been running? According to the mods here and from what I have read, your readings on your water params are not right. Nitrates should not be zero. I have read that having zero nitrates may meen that your cycle is not progressing or has crashed. Is your fish swimming okay? Floaty or bottom sitting? Eating?

I change the water roughly once a month. I know I should probably be doing it more but I tend to forget. :(

I haven't fed it since I noticed the scales sticking. I noticed the scales sticking up the day I posted this topic...so two days ago?

Any reason the nitrates would be zero? Could it be my testing kit or is it something with my water quality?

Tank has been running as the the fish as been alive, so over a year.

that looks like dropsy. That's bacterial infection for which it would need antibiotics. Nickie is indeed correct about your water params. Nitrates should be around 5ppm at best. You need to change your water atleast once a week as part of regular maintenance.

wow you need to do water changes at least once a week a month is too long that may be why your fish is sick. it could be that your testkit is out of date or your tank has not cycled. yes like mads said try the fasting and the peas and like she said the scales do not usually stick out if it is constipiation :(

Okay, so what should I do? :'(

I did some research and the general first treatment is medi-gold fish food. I don't think my parents would allow me to order fish food online, so is there a good but alternative treatment I can do?

Should I be adding salt, large water changes....help? I'm a pretty noobish goldfish owner!

Thanks for all the help!

Well, I am not an expert as I have just started keeping fish, but I was wondering if your fish is acting "sick" in any way? Not eating, bottom sitting, how is the fish's poop? Is it swimming okay? Eating good? Floating? You have never really stated if she/he has any other symptoms other than the protruding scales. Any info you can give will help more. Also, if your fish DOES end up needing medicated food, do you think your mom or dad could order it for you, or do you have a lfs near you that sells it?

Also, water changes are a must when a fish is sick. Do you have any other fish in the tank with this fish? Have you changed the water at all since the fish got sick? Since your nitrates were zero, it may mean that your cycle has crashed from the water not being changed very often. If I were you, I would do a large water change and then test your water again. After all, cleaner water can only help the fish and certainly will not hurt it more.

Hopefully a mod will be on and will be able to help you more! Hang in there!!!!

Okay, so what should I do? :'(

I did some research and the general first treatment is medi-gold fish food. I don't think my parents would allow me to order fish food online, so is there a good but alternative treatment I can do?

Should I be adding salt, large water changes....help? I'm a pretty noobish goldfish owner!

Thanks for all the help!

If you can't get medi-gold the next best thing I found is gel-tek tetracycline. You should be able to find that at most pet stores. Keep changing your water. High WQ must be maintained in order for the fish's body to concentrate on fighting any illnesses.

Alright, I ordered metro-meds after a bit of pleading with my parents. It's been shipped, and I really hope they arrive by saturday.

He's starting to get a little floaty, and the scales are sticking out a little more.

There have been no other fish besides him in the tank.

I added 1/9 teaspoon of epsom salt on tuesday. It draws out excess fluids right?

I'm going to the pet store to get a new nitrate test because I want to double check if it's my test kit or my water that's been giving me funny readings.

I'm doing 30% water changes everyday now, just incase.

Anything else I should get at the pet store before the metro meds arrive? I've heard that maracyn (2) is weaker but also effective against dropsy. Am I right in that I should also watch out for other infections after dropsy weakens my fish? Should I get any other medications for before or after the metro-meds arrive.

Any other tips? I don't want to lose this guy!!!Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it!

Maracyn & Maracyn 2 may be too weak for dropsy. Although it's definitely better than nothing while you are waiting for the metro-meds. My Oranda Sash originally got pop eye and the mods here told me to treat with Maracyn & Maracyn 2, which cured him of the pop eye. Koko told me to watch out because many times pop eye can turn into dropsy. Koko was right and Sash's scales started to stick up ever so slightly, like your fish's scales. I contacted Rick at Goldfish Connection and he told me to use Metromed. I had him overnight it. I believe Sash's scale became flush again in only a couple of days. However, he was treated at the first sign and I paid to have the meds overnighted. I even snuck out of work during lunch that day so I could start treating Sash as soon as the UPS truck dropped off the meds. Early treatment is the key as once the fish pinecones, I don't think there's much you can do. If you have a heater, I would crank it up to about 80 degrees F. And yes I used epsom salt also.

Here is a link to the thread where Sash was cured with Metro-med. You may want to sift through it as I don't remember all the details but it was a successful treatment. It's actually two threads that got merged into one. Post #18 is where I first notice that Sash's scales are not flush. Wishing you and your fish the best. :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...popeye&st=0

That is the beginning stage of dropsy. It is still treatable at this early stage.

Make sure the water params are close to perfect as possible and get some Metro-meds from Goldfish Connection ASAP.

Darn, I was hoping it wasn't dropsy. :( However, I am sure that as you have caught it at an early stage, then it can hopefully be beat!

JOH, you should be a MOD! You give awesome advice, too! ;)

I just sifted through that thread and it looks like I did use the Maracyn & Maracyn 2. Laurie said that it was the succession of the two back to back that helps.

So my formula for success was:

Metromed

Maracyn

Maracyn 2

Water Temp. to 80 F

Epsom Salt

Darn, I was hoping it wasn't dropsy. :( However, I am sure that as you have caught it at an early stage, then it can hopefully be beat!

I hope so! I don't know how long he has been like that but if he still looks like the photo, it is still treatable. Early detection is worth it's weight in gold.

Oh Nickie you are very sweet. The only reason I can give advice on this is because I went through the same thing a couple of years ago, and it was the great mods and Koko herself who guided me.

I hope so! I don't know how long he has been like that but if he still looks like the photo, it is still treatable. Early detection is worth it's weight in gold.

Oh Nickie you are very sweet. The only reason I can give advice on this is because I went through the same thing a couple of years ago, and it was the great mods and Koko herself who guided me.

Well, I would consider myself lucky to have you in my corner if I needed help! I am sure that this young man feels the same way about the way you have helped him!

How's your fish doing?

My goldfish had dropsy a few months ago & they all managed to survive, even though they looked worse than your fish, so don't give up on your fish! Just wanted to let you know that as I remember being so sad when my fish were sick as everything I read about the outcomes of dropsy at the time was very negative and quite discouraging.

I'll tell you my treatment plan below, although being in the US you should have much better (& cheaper) alternatives available to you (we don't get medicated food at all in Australia & to get good medicines here you need to go to the vet). So hopefully you won't need my treatment plan but I'll tell you just in case.

My fishes' vet prescribed alternating baths of baytril & metrogyl. 6 hours in a baytril bath (0.05ml/L) & the other 18 hours in a metrogyl bath (1 tablet/16L). Once they improved (ie. scales started to go down), the vet got us to stop the baytril baths and just use the metrogyl baths. All up we had to treat the little fish for about 1 month & the big fish about 2 weeks (because the little fish had a worse case of dropsy). We also used salt during this time at a rate of 1g/L. This particular treatment regime was very expensive (the medicine) & exhausting (large water changes every 6 hours) but despite the fact that the vet wasn't very hopeful, it worked and they are all still alive! So it was definitely worth it. The way we did the baths was to take water from their main tanks for the baths so that the filters in the main tank could remove the de-toxified (ie. primed) ammonia from the tap water plus it meant that with each water change we were also diluting any nasties in the main tank. Also I found writing everything down, amount of water changes, time at which it was done, amount of medicine etc was vital, especially after a few days once I was tired. My fish got dropsy despite the fact that they were in a large tank which had been cycled for a 1 year with weekly gravel vacs, water changes, water parameters all fine, sometimes despite your best efforts these things just happen (in my experience so far, my fish seem to get sick around season changes, ie. summer to autumn, winter to spring).

So don't give up and good luck to you & your fish! Hopefully your metromeds & other medicine plus good water will do the trick.

Thank you Katrina for your advice. ^^ I hope I won't have to go to such extents to help my fish, but I'm really glad it worked out for your fish! XD

So I went to two of my local pet stores and one didn't have maracyn at all, and the other had maracyn, but it was overpriced and expired. -_-. Does saltwater and freshwater maracyn differ?

The guy recommended some new tablet that was 'supposed' to treat dropsy, it was called something like Life-Guard. I didn't want to risk it, because he said it gets rid of everything, but also would hurt my cycle.

And I found out my test kit most likely is expired. Tommorow I'm going to go and get my water tested at the store, though I'm still doing water changes just incase.

Anyway, I bought Maracyn TC (tetracycline hydrochloride). It says it's recommended for Popeye, Gill Disease, and Fin/Tail rot. I didn't open it yet incase it's not the one I want. Should I go ahead and add it to my tank? The metro-meds are coming either tommorow or monday at the fastest, and I'm noticing my fish to be more floaty.

Should I also buy maracyn once the store restocks or is tetracycline good enough? I don't want to do anything that I'm not sure of.

Again, thank you guys so much. ^^

Thank you Katrina for your advice. ^^ I hope I won't have to go to such extents to help my fish, but I'm really glad it worked out for your fish! XD

So I went to two of my local pet stores and one didn't have maracyn at all, and the other had maracyn, but it was overpriced and expired. -_-. Does saltwater and freshwater maracyn differ?

The guy recommended some new tablet that was 'supposed' to treat dropsy, it was called something like Life-Guard. I didn't want to risk it, because he said it gets rid of everything, but also would hurt my cycle.

And I found out my test kit most likely is expired. Tommorow I'm going to go and get my water tested at the store, though I'm still doing water changes just incase.

Anyway, I bought Maracyn TC (tetracycline hydrochloride). It says it's recommended for Popeye, Gill Disease, and Fin/Tail rot. I didn't open it yet incase it's not the one I want. Should I go ahead and add it to my tank? The metro-meds are coming either tommorow or monday at the fastest, and I'm noticing my fish to be more floaty.

Should I also buy maracyn once the store restocks or is tetracycline good enough? I don't want to do anything that I'm not sure of.

Again, thank you guys so much. ^^

If you are going to spend your hard earned money, I would get a Maracyn that isn't expired. However those expiration dates on tablet drugs sealed in aluminum are ultra conservative. They are probably good several years after the expiration date. This does not include medicated foods like metro-med which is only effective for 6 month.

I don't know the exact difference between salt water & freshwater Maracyn but they are clearly marked so I would get the Freshwater one.

I have never used Maracyn TC. I have used Maracyn & Maracyn 2. Maracyn 2 is the one for dropsy so I would use that.

Also make sure you remove the carbon from your filter as the carbon will absorb the medication.

ILuvMehFishies, I think you were wise not to get the medicine that the pet store person said would hurt your cycle. One thing the vet recommended to me and I have found it to be a good idea is to protect your cycled tank. She told us to always move the sick fish to a separate tank/basin etc and treat there. That way you always have a place to get some decent water from, and if the medicine doesn't agree with your fish you have a safe place to move them back to. The only thing we have add directly to our main tank now is salt.

I'm sorry I can't answer your questions about the medicines you mention as I have not used them. I'm glad to hear your fish is still alive. Good luck!

Thanks for the support!

The metro-meds came today. I was seriously so happy I wouldn't have to wait until Monday.

I immediately soaked them in tank water and fed it to my fish. My fish isn't looking to good, the scales have nearly fully pine-cones and the eyes are popping out quite a bit. I think it only ate two and a half pieces of metro med, most of them it didn't 'see'. He's been resting on the bottom of the tank and floating near the top.

Should I be keeping the lights on or off, or does it not matter? I added some Maracyn TC yesterday, should I continue treatment now that my fish is on metro-meds or should I do both still?

I'll try posting some pictures soon.

Thanks for the support!

The metro-meds came today. I was seriously so happy I wouldn't have to wait until Monday.

I immediately soaked them in tank water and fed it to my fish. My fish isn't looking to good, the scales have nearly fully pine-cones and the eyes are popping out quite a bit. I think it only ate two and a half pieces of metro med, most of them it didn't 'see'. He's been resting on the bottom of the tank and floating near the top.

Should I be keeping the lights on or off, or does it not matter? I added some Maracyn TC yesterday, should I continue treatment now that my fish is on metro-meds or should I do both still?

I'll try posting some pictures soon.

You really don't need to soak the metro-med. It sinks right to the bottom. Make sure you only feed him Metro-med only. No other food whatsoever.

No difference in the lights. Just as usual, 16 hours on, 8 hours off.

Yes treat with Maracyn also. Make sure to remove the the carbon from the filter or it will soak up the medication.

Do you have a heater, if so, get the water up to 80 degrees.

Archived