10 Gallon Stocking Options

fishlord1

Justin, I think you're right about the overstocking causing more aggression (spunkyness!) thing but I didn't know it at the time. Now I have a confession to make--I took all my tetras to our small local pet store where they put them in a large tank for resale. I got a store credit and the fish will have a chance to move on to other homes. I felt bad about it but I had too many fish that didn't get along so something had to be done. They had other fish from people who couldn't keep them anymore already in the tank that was labeled "Assorted Fish" and sold for a cheaper price than they normally would.

Fishlord, I had 3 blue tetras and I only saw one being aggressive so they do have different personalities like Justin said. I don't know if that fish was unusual or what. I'm not familiar with any of those other tetras you mentioned. Have you Googled them for more info? I'm sure that would be helpful in your final decision. Here's a pic of my largest blue who was the naughty one--as you can see he's looking at one of my gold barbs with evil intent no doubt! :unsure:

bluete.jpg

Have you considered getting something like zebra danios instead? I've had a school of 10 in with cories and they never bothered them. I heard one or 2 danios might get nippy with other fish so make sure you're school is at least 4-6--same thing for tetras by the way.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've thought about the Danios Kristi, and you do have a point. Now that I think about it, I have had the best luck with them in my 20 gallon than any other fish. During the "Fish Death Explosion" in my 20, only one out of my five danios was lost, when at the same time period I lost all of my cories, all but one Tiger Barb, and a Rosy Barb. That was about half my tank occupants! And, notice something, only one Danio, a Gold Zebra, died! I know my tank was overstocked like mad, but after that death epidemic I am left with only eight fish which, I don't believe, is an overstocked tank. I am now left with four Zebra Danios (three of them Glowfish morph), one Tiger Barb, one Gold Barb, a Coolie Loach, and a Stingray Pleco. Maybe Danios wouldn't be too bad. I have done a bit of research on the tetras, so far only the Mixed Fruit and the Black Neon. From what I understand, a Mixed Fruit is a color morph of the White Skirt Tetra, and a Black Neon follows basically the same guidelines as a regular Neon. I will see if I can get some photos for you to look at. Thanks!

Hi guys! I was just wondering, if I got, say, five of a Tetra for a school, along with a couple of cories, how many schools could I put in my 10 gallon? Thanks!

P.S. This is kind of off topic, but are Stingray Plecos the same thing as Hillstream Loaches?

Depends what kind of tetras you got. Remember, the corries want to be in a school as well, which means atleast three of them. For instance, five blue tetras would almost fully stock a ten gallon by themselves. Add in the cories and you would really have to watch the water params. Five neon tetras on the other hand would be under full stock for a ten.

Mixed fruit tetras are not a colour morph of the white skirt tetra, they are dyed white skirt tetras, and the dying process is very cruel. It involves injecting the fish with dye, weakening their immune system and leaving them open to infection. A high percentage of the fish die during the process and the surviving fish will have shorter lifespans.

please don't buy this fish, as you would be supporting the cruel practice if you did.

Guest Jake Minimuto

You should get some neon tetras. they are pretty fish and they are not too hard to take care of. if I was you I would not have taken your betta out of the 1gal. tank, as you could have put some tetras in a 2.5.

You should get some neon tetras. they are pretty fish and they are not too hard to take care of. if I was you I would not have taken your betta out of the 1gal. tank, as you could have put some tetras in a 2.5.

You cannot put tetras in a 2.5. It's cruel. They need to be in groups and they need swimming space and 2.5 is way too small for that.

I haven't put my Betta in the 2.5 gallon yet, but that's still whos going in there. I am not going to be cruel to fish by not giving them a habitat in which they can thrive happily. Really, Mixed Fruit Tetras are dyed fish? I didn't think they looked dyed. They just had a slight light blue tinge to them. I have never seen dyed fish in this store before, infact, they are against dying! Do you think it could be possible they don't know the fish are dyed? The shipment came in only a few weeks ago (well, they were quarentined for a month first, they arrived on the shelves a few weeks ago.), maybe they haven't realized the fish are dyed yet. What do you think?

I haven't put my Betta in the 2.5 gallon yet, but that's still whos going in there. I am not going to be cruel to fish by not giving them a habitat in which they can thrive happily.

sorry, wasn't suggesting you would be cruel, just couldn't leave the comment about tetras without saying something.

The mixed fruit tetras are indeed dyed. They are white skirt tetras which are dyed. I've seen them all over the place, and they can be quite subtle, but I've read many places that these are one the most common dyed fish. They can be sold under different names too, though I forget what they are, all to do with fruit I think.

It is possible that the LFS doesn't know. Just in case they don't know I would say something to them. They may be good, honest people who would be horrified if they knew what they bought. Its definately worth a go. If you google mixed fruit tetras and dyed fish you should find lots of info about it. Pick something from a reliable source and print it off and take it with you (they listen more if they have something from a reliable source, rather than just a customer who heard it off a girl on a forum).

Don't worry, I know enough about Tetras to know what they need to be kept in. You were by no means being rude or anything like that. I wasn't going to put them in there anyway. I shall definately tell the store about the fish. You are correct, I just googled them and they are indeed dyed. The store, I do not believe, would buy any fish they knew was died. They have signs up all over the aquarium section (it's a pet store, they don't only sell fish.) telling about fish cruelty, goldfish bowls, tattoed and dyed fish, space issues, and the like. They don't even sell goldfish bowls, always give good advice, discourage customers from buying unreasonable fish, ect. I think they will be sick when they find out what they purchased. Well, that narrows my choices on fish a bit. I was thinking either a Tetra/Cory tank, a Danio/Cory tank, or a Cory/1 Gourami tank. What do you think? Which one sounds best? I'm open to suggestions! Wow, it's amazing how a topic can change subject like that :D !

I think I mentioned it before, but22, I'm biased, go for sparkling gouramis. I got four for my 8 gallon on Monday and I just love them... they are so sweet.

They aren't the flashiest fish in the world, but are very beautiful when the light catches them and they sparkle.

In a ten gallon you could probably have 5-6 sparklers and 5-6 pygmy cories. I think the mix makes a nice tank.

I'm getting pygmy cories in a few months when my tank is a bit more mature.

It sounds like I'm trying to get you to have a tank just like mine doesn't it? I did research stocking options for about 6 months though and thought this was the best option.

as for the LFS, sounds like a good place, particularly for pet store. Def think you should bring it up with them.

If you went for the tetra option, what tetras were you thinking? and which gourami are you referring to?

Can you could keep more than one gourami in a 10 gallon without complications, along with cories? Not really sure for gourami species right now, what do Sparklers look like? For Tetras, my decision is now narrowed down to Gold Tetras, Blue Tetras, Cardinal Tetras, or Black Neon Tetras. I do not want to exceed the stocking limit, and no matter what I choose, I am putting a school of cories in there. What do you think? Thanks for all your help!

for gouramis, you can put more than one sparkling gourami in a ten gallon. They are tiny are mostly peaceful. It's recommended to keep four or above to reduce aggresion. Or you could have a trio of honey gouramis (two females, one male). you could have a single dwarf gourami, but as I think I mentioned, they can be very prone to disease.

Here's a pic of my sparkling gouramis

sparklers

You can't really see the sparkles in the pic though. They have iridescent green and blue on them that looks so pretty when the light catches them. They are small (only grow to about an inch or so)

Not kept tetras so my knowledge is pretty limited, but I reckon you could have a school of them and a school of cories in a ten gallon as long as you keep a small type of cory.

pygmy cories are good because of their small size. There are a couple other species of dwarf cory too, but forget the names right now. Pandas also stay pretty small but can be troublesome as they have a tendancy to die for no apparent reason.

What page are the Sparklers on? I can't seem to find the pictures. I had bad luck with Pandas, you are right, they just have random deaths (lost all three of mine). I went to the store today to get some Chlorine Remover and Stress Coat, and I managed to speak to the man working in the fish section. I told him what I knew about the Tetras, then showed him an article I had printed off of google about the Mixed Fruit Tetras, and showed him a picture of what they looked like. He took a look at it, took the photo and paper, and walked to the back of the store. He was gone for a while, so I looked at the birds and fish. A little while later he came back with the manager, and the manager thanked me for pointing it out. I could tell he was not happy about what he had done. He took the Mixed Fruit Tetras, placed them in an empty tank, and placed a "Not for Sale" sign on the tank, and thanked me again before returning to the back of the store. I feel good about what I did. Thank you, too. If you wouldn't have told me they were dyed, I may have ended up actually getting them, and the store may have never found out. They are smart people, they should just research a bit more on what they are buying first. Thanks again for your help!

oops... I pasted totally the wrong link... sorry, that was totally and utterly irrelevant.

Sparklers

that one should be right.

I'm glad things went so well at the LFS. It's great news because they will never buy those fish again by the sounds of it. well done.

Wow, you are right, those are pretty fish. I bet they're simply georgeous when the light hits them! I'm glad how things turned out, too. I feel thet I have saved people from grief of their fish dying within weeks, maybe days, and though I'm not sure what the outcome of the Tetras at the shop will be, just that small amount of people not being able to buy the fish is just one step closer to stopping this cruel and sickening process altogether.

Are Pygmy Cories an actual type of cory, or is that just a collective name for the small species of cories? If they are good, here are my ideas so far.

5 Cories

3 Sparkling Gouramis

OR

5 Cories

5 Tetras (still not sure what kind)

What do you think? All help is greatly apppreciated.

Really? I could keep a Dwarf Puffer in there?! I didn't think a 10 gallon would be big enough! They sell them at the same store where they sell the other fish that I've been talking about, the little green ones with the black spots, right? Those things are simply adorable! Are they hard to take care of compared to other tropicals? What are there requirements? Give me the details! Wow, this might just change everything! Thanks for all your help so far! You guys rock!

Providing they ARE dwarf puffers - sure, you could keep a couple. Males will fight as they mature so a female and male would be better.

Fish shops notoriously mis-label puffers and tell you lots of rubbish about which water they need to live in; within the puffer family there are freshwaters, brackish and marines - so, be sure to ask the manager to confirm they are Dwarfs. (If the ones in your lfs are Green Spotted's then they are not the same as the Dwarf and need brackish water and a lot more space.)

I've written some basic info about their needs in the other thread in this section written by Hidr - have a look and post back if you have more Q's.

If you can get them, you will LOVE puffers - they have enormous personality.

Let me know if I can help you any further.

Pixie :rolleyes:

To be sure you MUST ask as if you get it wrong you'll have dead fish!

But as a general guide:

DP's (dwarf puffers) are anything from a yellowish-brown to yellowish-green with a few, largish splodges on their backs. Their adult size is 1" and they're often only half an inch when they are stocked in the lsf.

GSP's (green spotted) are yellowish green with leopard-like spots all over the upper body. These puffers can grow to @6" and need salt and at least 30g.

The store manager is obliged to know which species are being sold - don't let anyone fob you off with info like 'GSP's can be acclimated to freshwater and don't need too much space' - they absolutely need high end brackish and won't survive in a 10g.

You can google them on images and you'll probably be able to tell which ones you've seen.

Let us know if you decide to go with them.

Well, the label at the store said they were dwarves, and they were really tiny, about the size of some types of tetras when at the store. This store almost never gives the wrong information (well, okay, I can't say never, just read some of my former posts on this page), and they are always truthful. No matter how much many they might make off a person, they would choose the well being of the fish and the happiness over the customer over the money. Not to mention, the puffers in your description of the dwarves resemble the ones I saw anyway. So I'm guessing what I saw is a Dwarf Puffer.

Archived