10 Gallon Stocking Options

fishlord1

Okay, so my friend who lives across the street has been taking care of fish for a long time. He's got four or five tanks. He had this ten gallon that he kept his livebearers in, but he got so annoyed with them reproducing that he decided to give me the tank now that all those fish are dead. So I'm going to get some new fish for it :newfish ! I was wondering what I should put in it. Not really sure right now, but I'm open to any suggestions. Also, how many fish should I put in? Thanks!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would put one male and two female guppies and maybe a cory or two and plant the tank. The guppies will reproduce! No and's if's or butts about it but they are a lot of fun and they are very low maintenance!!! I love a ten gallon with some guppies it is a really fun cycle with lots of births and an expectable death here and there.

Colin

Orrrr, you could not make the same mistake your neighbor did, and stock the tank so that your fish will stay happy and healthy.

It looks like cory fever is sweeping the board once again (seems to hit every couple months), so I'll run with that theme. Corries like to kept in groups. You could pick out say five and put them in there. I think that would make a really fun tank.

Another option would be to get a school of 3 cories, and have a single centerpiece fish. Maybe something like one of the small breeds of gourami, perhaps a honey, sunburst, flame, or dwarf (2") or a pearl or a blue (4"). Just make sure you have lots of plants, fake or real is your choice, and include some that grow to the top or that float to try and subdue the lighting. Put a cave or two in as decor, and you'll have some happy fish.

Edited by balashark

endler's livebearers would work well in a tank that size, with a group of dwarf cories. Honey gouramis are a good option but I would be wary of dwarf gouramis as they can be very prone to disease. Sparkling gouramis are also a good alternative (but make sure you get sparkling rather croaking, they are often confused apparently).

You could also have a school of small rasboras instead (such as spotted, mosquito or galaxy).

I'm stocking an 8gallon soon (once it's cycled) and I'm getting 4 pygmy cories and either 4 male endler's livebearers or three sparkling gouramis.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I haven't replied at all, I have just been so busy with school and all that other junk I'm forced against my will to do! I really don't want guppies, my friend had those in this tank, along with some platies and swordtails, and they would never stop reproducing! He had bought a 2.5 gallon MiniBow to keep the fry in, but when three or so guppies became like 60, plus the fry of the other tankmates, he just couldn't stand it anymore, and gave the tank to me. I really don't want to end up in that position. I like the cory idea, but I've had such crummy luck with them in my twenty gallon(not one out of five lived more than a month.), I'm afraid to try it again. Is there some special cory keeping secret that I dont know about? I went to the pet store to get a look at the fish they had there, and they had some pretty neat ones. What do you guys think about Iridescent Sharks? They look kind of like catfish, and have really shiny scales. I know most sharks get huge, I just wanted to know if they would stay that small (they was only, say, three inches at the store). I think the gouramis they had were cute, too. Also, the 2.5 gallon I mentioned earlier, my friend was thinking of giving me that, too. If he does, what could I put in it? Any Suggestions? Thanks!

P.S. What do Endlers Livebearers look like?

Iridescent sharks are most definitely out. They grow over 16" long and are very very skiddish (they'll jump out of your tank at the slightest movement). You'd need a tank several hundred gallons with a very heavy lid. They are a catfish, not a shark (there's no such thing as a freshwater shark). The shark part is just a trade name pet stores use to get you to buy them.

For the 2.5, you're really limited. I wouldn't put anything more than a snail OR a betta OR some brine shrimp.

Endlers livebearers: think of a silver platty with very colorful guppy-like markings. They're livebearers though, so you'll run into the same problem, unless you get all males, etc.

don't know anything about iridescent sharks but just googled it and a profile said they reach 30 inches (thoughon average "only" 19inches) and need a tank of 200 gallons. I think it's safe to say they are not suitable for a ten gallon :)

Endler's livebearers are cool little fish. Same family as the guppy but don't multiply quite as badly I believe. I am getting all males, which could also be an option for you with guppies, to ensure I don't get loads of fry. They are quite colourful schooling fish

Here's a pic, although the colour patterns vary endler If you google images of endler's livebearers you'd get a better idea.

make sure you get all males though.

What cories have you kept before? I know some can be quite sensitive to water conditions, the Panda Cory is particularly sensitive.

Generally they like a mature tank. I am planning to get my other fish first then wait a few months before getting the pygmy cories.

For the 2.5 gallon, I'd recommend a betta. There's not much you could keep in a tank that small, and a betta is probably one of the few fish you could get away with (you could probably have shrimp instead).

You mentioned gouramis, most will be too big for a ten gallon, the exceptions being dwarf gouramis (which can be prone to disease), honey gouramis and sparkling gouramis. I'd recomend sparkling if you can find them, they are really lovely fish.

Wow, glad I didn't get the shark then! I figured a Betta would be about it for the 2.5 gallon, I just wanted to know if there was anything else I could put in it, other than a Betta. I suppose I could transfer my old Betta, Barney, from his one gallon to the 2.5, but he's lived in that tank for over two years, and he's done so well in it that I'm almost afraid to switch him out after so long. What do you think? Also, is there something special you have to do for cories, or are they just incredibly tempermental, because all the cories in my 20 gallon died in less than a month. The livebearers are out, no fry for me! All help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I posted almost the same time as you, Lak! Well, maybe the livebearers aren't so bad, I would just have to make sure I get all males. Also, one of my cories was indeed the panda, the others were plateaus, albino, juhli, and bronze, in order of which they died starting with the panda. Also, I was refering to the dwarfs when I said gourami. Thanks!

That 2.5 gallon would be great for a betta. I have two, with one neautiful boy in each one, and never have any problems. Of course, I also do weekly gravel vacs/water changes. :) Or a couple ghost shrimp and one apple snail.

If you don't want to get livebearing fish, there are lots of tetras that are very pretty. The phantoms that love mentioned are neat, with their long fins. Bloodfin tetras are pretty. Cardinal tetras are pretty too. Google some and have a look! There are many different types you could look at, just keep in mind that most of them are schooling fish. A nice school of 5-6 of the same species would look nice in a 10gallon tank.

You have alot of options. Just do your research and planning before you buy. Good luck! :)

That does sound like a nice tank lovegoldfish. Just barely over the stocking level, so if you do something like that fishlord1, make sure you keep an eye on water params. Maybe you could do a single one of the dwarf gouramis and a school of three or four corys. I'm not sure what to tell ya about caring for the corys. Might be you just got a bad batch of them, but without knowing more about your setup, its hard to say what happened.

I have all the tests and have tested the water frequently. The water perimeters are fine. I have kept fish for many years. You can push the limit a little if you know how to keep the tank healthy. If you are a beginner then 2 smaller type fish are good to start with until you know what you are doing. I learned the hard way, my son came home with a goldfish and I bought a very, I mean very, small tank. Had to upgrade 3 times from a 2.5 to a 20 gallon then decided to get more goldfish and ended up with a 55 gallon. Didn't know about cycling so had to do water changes every day thanks to this forum. Thanks to this forum many people have been able to ask stocking questions about their tank and how to take care of their fish the best way.

Selena, not go get off topic, but what kind of tetras do you have? I ask because I've always been on the side of the debate against mixing bettas in a community tank. But does yours seem to get along ok? Some tetras have shorter fins than others, so that might have something to do with it. Just curious. :)

I went to a different store today, and I think the fish here were even better! The Tetras they had there were very pretty. Would Tetras do okay with cories? If so, what do you think about Blue Tetras? Gold Tetras? Mixed Fruit Tetras? Cardinal Tetras? Black Neon Tetras? Serape Tetras? Also, I will NOT get all of these, they probably need to be kept in schools, and I do not have room for two schools, if even that. I just wanted to know what you guys thought. Thanks! Also, do you think switching my old Betta to the 2.5 from his 1 gallon would stress him out? I said something about this in the ninth post in this topic.

Selena, not go get off topic, but what kind of tetras do you have? I ask because I've always been on the side of the debate against mixing bettas in a community tank. But does yours seem to get along ok? Some tetras have shorter fins than others, so that might have something to do with it. Just curious. :)

I have neon tetras and everyone seems to get along fine. I have had the comminuty tank for over 12months. My Betta gets along well with the cories and the loaches more so. He will huddle together with them under and ornament bridge I have in the tank.

I will try and get a photo of it as it is very cute to see the different fish species huddling together :heart

I don't think keeping a betta in a community tank is an issue, as long as the betta is pretty laid back like mine and you mix it with the right fish.

Edited by Selena

Also, do you think switching my old Betta to the 2.5 from his 1 gallon would stress him out? I said something about this in the ninth post in this topic.

As long as you match the temps in both tanks, acclimate him slowly, he should be alright. After you set up the 2.5 gallon, test the water in both tanks to make sure they are in agreement. Then transfer him. Let us know how it goes! :)

I don't think keeping a betta in a community tank is an issue, as long as the betta is pretty laid back like mine and you mix it with the right fish.

:exactly Each fish has his own personality and quirks. Some may mix, some may not. I would love to see pics of your tank! :D

:exactly Each fish has his own personality and quirks. Some may mix, some may not. I would love to see pics of your tank! :D

I will post a pic tommorrow. I have to do a water change tonight and charge batteries for my digi cam :)

Hey guys! I have decided to make the 2.5 gallon a new home for my Betta, Barney! Also, I forgot to mention, when I had the cories, my tank was crazy overstocked and my params, although the tank is cycled, blew up all signs of nitrates and made everything else go out of whack. I hope this is my last mistake, I don't want anyone else to die! I lost half the fish I had in that aqaurium in this situation, but I think that now everything is stable! So, what do you think about the tetras I mentioned earlier?

That's really cool about your betta getting along. All the bettas I've had liked to attack my finger on the other side of the glass, their reflection, their food, etc. So I guess that's why I think they shouldn't be mixed. But you're right, it definitely depends on the indivdual fish.

Fishlord1, I don't see any problem with putting tetras with corries. For your betta, to make the switch even more seemless, use the water he's in now to fill the new tank. If you're going to use a filter on your 2.5, just be prepared to cycle it.

Not all tetras get along with cories. My lampeye, serpai, and x-ray tetras all tore chunks out of my cories fins. I'm not sure if my blue tetras attacked the cories but one of them was constantly going after my gold barbs and shredding their tails. I've decided against getting anymore tetras of any kind--just not worth the risk.

As far as keeping cories they can be more sensitive to bad water conditions because they are usually on the bottom of the tank where all the waste is so they get more exposure to it. However I've had one Black Sail (leucomelas) for almost a year now and he's doing great. He was attacked by a serpai tetra but recovered fully. Some of my other cories have not been so fortunate. After being attacked they developed fin rot and passed away. I have some bronzes that are still in recovery mode (fins trying to grow back) and they appear to be doing well. I was overstocked for awhile so that made it harder to keep clean enough for the cories.

Jeeze Kristi, you've got some aggressive tetras! I've never heard of that before. I mean, obviously, every fish in the petstore tank will have a different personality, but still.

On a side note, overstocking and water quality will both stress your fish out, which could lead to aggressiveness in some fish in your tank and an inability to defend themselves in others. So you'll want to ensure that each of your fish has plenty of room and plenty of good quality water. But Kristi, yours just sound spunky :)

Okay, so that points away from the Serapi, or however you spell it! Thaere would be no gold barbs in this tank, but still I don't want my cories getting hurt. What do you think about the agression level of Blue Tetras? I thought these were neat, but I still don't want anyone getting hurt. I hope their not agressive. If they are not, this points to either Blue Tetras, Gold Tetras, Mixed Fruit Tetras, Cardinal Tetras, or Black Neon Tetras. Do all of these need to be kept in schools? If so, how many should be kept to maintain a healthy school, and how many schools can I get without exceeding the stocking level? Thanks!