Sign in to follow this  
maniacholic

Making A Mockery Out Of The 2-5 Minute Feeding Rule

I've always had my doubts about the 2 or 5 minute feeding rule ^.^

Here's the food supply for 1 meal, this is actually twice the amount of food I feed the GFs which is done for 3 times a day, so the fishes are actually being overfed this meal just to see what happens.

P1010005.jpg

Right After putting the food in.

th_P1010006-1.jpg

Fast forward 30 seconds.

th_P1010007-1.jpg

PS the food never touches the bottom of the tank.

Guest avalon

The feed as much as the fish would eat in five minutes is such a silly rule, my lil 4 inch oscar would eat a whole can of fishfood in that time if I tipped it in for him.

I do not go by a "time rule" to feed my fish. I know what they need...THEY sure don't. Like said earlier they would eat as much as I would drop in!! I mainly watch as I drop in the food that each one gets his share. It's pretty easy with the MAZURI gel food. Also easy with fresh fruits & veggies!

I generally find that if I take the amount of food that my "eye" tells me is "enough" and then half it, that is the ideal amount for the fish....

I am way too generous - and need to carefully curb my tendencies towards overfeeding! The minute rule does not do it for me, either!!!!

:P

Same here. My fish, Jaws, is just like a shark in a feeding frenzy when he eats! His food never touches the bottom of the tank, either. He usually gulps it all while it is floating to the bottom. I believe that is why his SBD keeps coming back. I am going today to get some sinking pellets for him to see if that slows his eating down some and maybe he will have to TAKE THE TIME to look for the food instead of inhaling it like a vacume! My son calls him a Hoover because he sucks up the food just like a vacume!

I tend to feed by size of my fish. My baby pearlie gets one hikari pellet mornin and night tho am pretty sure he would eat the lot more if I let him. So I increase ammount of pellets by fish size so far no constipated fish so I guess am not over feeding :)

Just a small note - many fish that have floaty issues can be completely "cured" simply by feeding less food.......

Overfeeding is a very common problem. I am certainly guilty of it!!!!!

wow same here they always look so hungry :feedme :

great video

so how big is the tank???

Edited by Fishcrazy

Just a small note - many fish that have floaty issues can be completely "cured" simply by feeding less food.......

Overfeeding is a very common problem. I am certainly guilty of it!!!!!

Actually I feed purely blood worms for 5 days a week, progold once a week, and salad supreme for the last. I haven't need to fast the fishes, and the only time they may start having floating problems are on the days with progold.

I'm beginning to think that it all comes down to how easy it is to digest the foods which is the factor. As more food which is hard to digest = more build up of food left in the digestive tracts leading to break down to gas molecules.

wow same here they always look so hungry :feedme :

great video

so how big is the tank???

It's 120 gallons or so, with 8 goldfishes. I'm planning to add 1 or 2 more Butterfly tails if I find any good ones ^.^ .. although it also means I may need to trade my ranchu to give the fishes 13-14 gallons each.

Feeding frenzy no doubt!! Those clips were fun to watch. They are pretty fish.....and happy I'm sure. :heart Have you ever tried feeding them cooked, shelled peas? It's a great way to help -and prevent- SBD problems.

To tell the truth, I have tried a lot of things to stop Jaws' sbd. I have tried fasting, then feeding only peas for a few days and that worked. However, the minute he starts going back on the SOAKED flakes, the sbd starts again! I make sure to soak them for over a full minute before I feed him. It seems to have something to do with the flakes. I went to Wal Mart today to try and get some sinking pellets. The only pellets I saw were floating pellets. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting a good named brand sinking pellet on-line somewhere? I also have a question on blood worms. I saw some today at Wal Mart and started to buy them; however, I'm not sure how much to feed and how to prepare them? Do you soak them, as well, before feeding them?

Edited by Nickie73

Feeding frenzy no doubt!! Those clips were fun to watch. They are pretty fish.....and happy I'm sure. :heart Have you ever tried feeding them cooked, shelled peas? It's a great way to help -and prevent- SBD problems.

I haven't had any SBD problems even with the Ryukins, although I do feed them peas now and then.

Nickie- Goldfishconnection.com Probly the best quality sinking pellet you can buy is the ProGold. And the fish gobble it up! Alot of members here use it. Are they freeze-dried bloodworms? If so, then I would soak them first. Most lfs carry frozen foods; all of my fish love the frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp too.

Maniacholic- that's good they don't have SBD. I feed peas once every week as a preventative measure. Even my bettas love them! I also make gel food with lots of peas and other veggies in it for Hoover (my gf). I think that is his favorite out of all the foods he gets, judging by the way he attacks it. :lol1

What kind of food is that?

Nickie- Goldfishconnection.com Probly the best quality sinking pellet you can buy is the ProGold. And the fish gobble it up! Alot of members here use it. Are they freeze-dried bloodworms? If so, then I would soak them first. Most lfs carry frozen foods; all of my fish love the frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp too.

Maniacholic- that's good they don't have SBD. I feed peas once every week as a preventative measure. Even my bettas love them! I also make gel food with lots of peas and other veggies in it for Hoover (my gf). I think that is his favorite out of all the foods he gets, judging by the way he attacks it. :lol1

Is Pro-Gold better, or Hikari? I went to Goldfish Connection today and I saw some food, I was especially interested in the Salad Supreme. Oh, the blood worms were freeze dried. I don't have any lfs around me so anything I get has to be on-line or from vvvvv, which is 45 mins away.

Edited by Nickie73

I have never used Hikari brand foods...I have only used ProGold as far as pellets go. I have heard good things here about Hikari, though. Maybe a matter of personal preference? I also keep the Medi-Gold onhand in case he falls ill. For your fish, you may want to start them on pellets and stop feeding flakes. It will help keep them from feeding at the surface, where they can gulp air. Just MO. :)

Wow, that stinks no lfs near you. vvvv is okay, but there is another website that you should check out- Bigalsonline.com The best prices for chemicals, foods, supplies etc.. Even after paying shipping, they are the cheapest for me as far as buying Prime, filter cartridges and stuff. Check 'em out! :D

I have never used Hikari brand foods...I have only used ProGold as far as pellets go. I have heard good things here about Hikari, though. Maybe a matter of personal preference? I also keep the Medi-Gold onhand in case he falls ill. For your fish, you may want to start them on pellets and stop feeding flakes. It will help keep them from feeding at the surface, where they can gulp air. Just MO. :)

Wow, that stinks no lfs near you. vvvv is okay, but there is another website that you should check out- Bigalsonline.com The best prices for chemicals, foods, supplies etc.. Even after paying shipping, they are the cheapest for me as far as buying Prime, filter cartridges and stuff. Check 'em out! :D

I will definately check this website out! Thanks!