Sign in to follow this  
gardengirl

Salmon?

Does anyone feed salmon to their goldfish???? A friend on another board recommended it and I tried it, but it left an oily film on the water. The fish absolutely LOVED it, but I'm not happy about the oil.

Does anyone feed cooked salmon? Any worries about the oil in the fish? Salmon is a very oily fish, that's why it's so good for you, but I'm concerned about the health of the fish with that oil in the pond.....

That is one heck of a good question. I'm not sure. I would think it may be too high in protein? One thing about Goldies, they are very vulnerable to eating the wrong food as they are not capable of vomiting. I would only feed them food that I am 100% sure that it is not harmful.

I feed mine salmon as a treat, and mix it in their gel foods. They seem to do well with it. I haven't noticed an oily film - but I buy frozen filets and microwave them.

I think Omega One uses whole salmon as part of their recipe, I think the fish love the taste of it, but I don't know of any way to get rid of the oil residue.

Yeah I think salmon may be good as part of a recipe or an ingredient in a gel food. However by itself, it may be too oily and too much protein?

I feed raw salmon which doesn't break up fast to leave anything left on the tank. Just make sure it's farm raised salmon as those have little to no parasites on them especially if it has been in a freezer for a good amount of time. I also slice it thinly (filleting skills) and make strips out of it which lets the fish tackle the stuff quickly.

hmmm what about the can salmon?? Im always making salmon paties with that so I always have some cans around the kitchen..

I think the canned salmon has salt and other additive in it so it may not be the best.

i tried salmon once and had the same problem, so now I use raw tuna instead. :(