Sign in to follow this  
Fishy Fish

Help Save Smokey, My Shubunkin Goldfish!

Trinket, I have a question about the salt.

I bought some yesterday, but their water change was today, so I put it in today. In your post, you had said:

You could try low salting to .1% and then .2% if there is no change. About a week should do it.

and afterwards, when you were telling me how to do it, you said:

It's one teaspoon per gallon of tank water mixed well before adding. Then repeat after 12 hours. Just twice will get you to .2%.

Should I wait first, to see if there's a change? Or add more after 12 hours? I'm sorry for being a pest, I just want to make sure I do it correctly! I couldn't find sea salt without anti-caking ingredients, but I found pickling salt. In fact, on the front of the box it says "Plain salt, nothing added" - so I figured it had to be good. :)

I didn't have luck finding ammonia yesterday - or today, but I found some on a website for Ace Hardware. Now I just have to see if they have any in their store! It said it's Janitorial Strength, 10% ammonia hydroxide. I hope that's what I need to cycle the tank.

Also, could I use Stress Zyme when cycling the new tank - or will the ammonia, the gravel and the filter cartridge from the 10 gallon be enough? I change that out once a month, and it's about time to be changed - so I thought I'd throw it in the tank. Hubby said he'll try to get the stand done tomorrow. :D

I tossed more questions at you than I had planned! I'm sorry! Just for that, you can answer whatever you want, and ignore the rest! :whistle

I can't wait to get that tank going - and see how the fish like it! :exactly

Debbie

Debbie-hi!!

I'm in and out so this will be quick, I'll check back on you in the morning though (your evening prob.).

The salt Q: start with the first dose of 1 level teaspoon per gallon of tank water. Leave that in 12 hours. Then add the second dose of the same amount. And leave them at that level of salt (0.2% total of 2 teaspoons for each gallon of tank water in the tank) for a few days to see if there is any improvement in the fins. If you see no improvement you can go up to the final dose to 0.3% total after the few days you left the tank and fish running at 0.2%. If they seem a little better after the few days running at 0.2% you can just do another water change replacing the salt you took out back to 0.2%. Are you with me?

The salting gets tricky if you lose track. I recommend you keep tabs by writing down all the spoons you put in and the date beside that. Write down when you do a water change and what you put back in. So day 1 might read "added 10 tsp Oct 10." (I think you said you have a 10 gallon tank?If not change that 10 for number of gallons ) Day 2 " added 10 tsp Oct 11" Next entry "Water change needed- 5 gallons out so 10 teaspoons back in Oct 12" On Oct 11 the salt reached 0.2% so thats 20 tsp total that has to be mantained.

A 5 gallon water change -half the tank- takes out one half of the total salt =10 teaspoons for a 10 gallon tank=10 has to go back in.

Pickling salt should have nothing added I am fairly sure. The main dangers are the anticaking agents, iodine and YPS and they should not be in pickling salt.

About the ammonia. It has to be 100% pure ammonia. I think what you have may contain detergent which is a no-no in the tank. However the way to tell is to add it to a little water and see if there are any bubbles or froth....these indicate detergent or other chemicals. Pure bleach/ammonia should run clear and not cause bubbles when poured slowly into water.

You can use the stress zyme if you want. Now what else was there :hmm:D Fun, fun, fun bigger cycled tanks :heart

The salt Q: start with the first dose of 1 level teaspoon per gallon of tank water. Leave that in 12 hours. Then add the second dose of the same amount. And leave them at that level of salt (0.2% total of 2 teaspoons for each gallon of tank water in the tank) for a few days to see if there is any improvement in the fins. If you see no improvement you can go up to the final dose to 0.3% total after the few days you left the tank and fish running at 0.2%. If they seem a little better after the few days running at 0.2% you can just do another water change replacing the salt you took out back to 0.2%. Are you with me?

Hi Trinket! :D

I gotcha! I have the salt up to 0.2%. It's been a few days now. I really don't see an improvement, but they were pretty bad. I was thinking of waiting until Monday, and if I still don't see an improvement, I'll go up to 0.3%.

The salting gets tricky if you lose track. I recommend you keep tabs by writing down all the spoons you put in and the date beside that. Write down when you do a water change and what you put back in. So day 1 might read "added 10 tsp Oct 10." (I think you said you have a 10 gallon tank?If not change that 10 for number of gallons ) Day 2 " added 10 tsp Oct 11" Next entry "Water change needed- 5 gallons out so 10 teaspoons back in Oct 12" On Oct 11 the salt reached 0.2% so thats 20 tsp total that has to be mantained.

I've been keeping track of what I put in, and how much the water changes are. Yes, it's a 10 gallon tank. I've been doing 30% water changes every other day, and readings are still the same, so I hope that's okay. Good idea to write it all down! Thanks! :exactly

About the ammonia. It has to be 100% pure ammonia. I think what you have may contain detergent which is a no-no in the tank. However the way to tell is to add it to a little water and see if there are any bubbles or froth....these indicate detergent or other chemicals. Pure bleach/ammonia should run clear and not cause bubbles when poured slowly into water.

I still haven't gone to see the ammonia yet. I only saw it on a website. I've been doing a lot of reading about ammonia, trying to find places that have it. One thing I noticed is that when I search for 100% or pure ammonia, they say that pure ammonia is a gas. Ammonia hydroxide has water added to it, and most household ammonia contains 10% - 35% ammonia. I'll probably know for sure once I actually see the bottle and can read what it contains.

You can use the stress zyme if you want. Now what else was there.Fun, fun, fun bigger cycled tanks

Hubby didn't get the stand done this week, which is why I haven't been to get the ammonia. He was planning on doing it on Wednesday, but our daughter called and said that her dryer wasn't working, and could he come and look at it. He ended up replacing the belt on their dryer. It was a dreadful ride up there.. Usually a 45 - 50 minute ride, but it took about 1 1/2 hours. Kids... you gotta love'em :wub: - but when I grow up, I'm not having any. :rofl

Soooo... hopefully the tank will get set up this week. Smokey seems to be getting a little bigger now. I don't know if he'll actually catch up to Dot, since she still eats like a horse, too, but he doesn't look so puny anymore! I know they'll love the bigger tank... and I'll love not having to do water changes so often! Once the big tank is all set, cycled and has fish, I should only have to test the water and do water changes once a week, right?

Oh - another question... :sorry:: Hubby has mentioned getting more fish, since it's a bigger aquarium (55 gallons). Personally, I'm happy with my two, and would rather not add more. I've told him that Shubies need 20 gallons each, so there really isn't enough room for more. I feel bad though, that he bought the new tank, is putting a Herculean stand together - and wants more fish. Is there something that would be compatible with Shubies that wouldn't be a strain on the cycle, or me? Or should I just say "No" and that's that? :yeah:

I think that's all.. (for now :rolleyes: )

Thanks a bunch for all of your help!!!! :hug

Debbie

Hi Debbie :hi !!

Ain't that the real truth about kids. They still need full time nannying even as teens! I really thought the worst was over in terms of helping kids grow up until they hit their teens and then I realise they need you even more!!!!!! I have so little time with my husband these days (who I married not the kids) because i am ferrying my boys to and from soccer matches and friends all the time. Oh well groan over.. :rolleyes:

Yes, I'd take the salt slowly up to 0.3%. Slow so that the filter media is not affected and the fish are not shocked. Don't worry most fish can stand up to 0.5% salt with no worries although that is a totally uneccessary level. The key is the right salt (which you have) and gradually added.

Ammonia- atmospheric ammonia is a gas yes but the pure ammonia you need here is diluted in water nothing else so often will be labelled as pure ammonia. Semantics. Get what you can. I'll try and post a link in a bit for you on how much to add for a fishless cycle in a 55 and way to do it or you can browse the watre forum, it may be there.

I understand about your hubby wanting his own fishie now that this new hobby has taken off a storm! You have 15 gallons to play with if you plan to be a meticulous water changer and have someone willing to do those for you when you go away. 20 for each shubby would leave 15 gallons which is only enough for one more( fancy) fish. Usually hobbyists don't like to put too fancy a fish in with shubs because they are so fast and fancies are often handicapped with their bad eyesight and slower movement. But a fantail or a ryukin or possibly an oranda would work fine I think :) Keeping just the 2 would also be nice. Two fish is a special bond and 3 can be a crowd. Just some thoughts.

Okay, I got the water to .3% today, because their fins still look no better. But I'm wondering if the fish don't like the salt...?

Last night Dot was sitting at the bottom. She does this from time to time, so I really didn't think too much of it until this morning when both she AND Smokey were at the bottom. I haven't seen him sitting at the bottom for a couple of weeks now. They are both on the bottom in the corner right now. When I go over to the tank, they'll get up and swim -but just a little - then go back to the bottom again. They both have their dorsal fins down, too. Their breathing doesn't seem to be rapid - or abnormal.

I tested the water before the water change - Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5 and pH 7.8. I don't know if I need to do water changes while the water is "perfect", but given the tank size, I figure it's best to be on the safe side. The water temp stays around 80? (house temp) and I feed them the flakes twice a day. The only thing different has been the salt. Could it be making the water too hard? I don't have a test for that, but I think I read/heard once that salt can make the water hard. I don't know how hard water would affect fish though.

They both seemed fine when I fed them around 1pm, and they were swimming around when I did the water change. But for the last two hours or so, Dot has been at the bottom, and Smokey joined her a little over an hour ago.

The tank looks so sad with the fish in the corner. :cry1 Okay - I'm sad looking at the poor fish sitting in the corner.

What should I do? :idont

Debbie

Hey Debs! :)

Oh honey, if its not one thing its another, huh? And most people think fish are just the easiest pets to take care of...NOT!!!

I'm sure Trinket will be back to check on you, but she has an upside down schedule. I think her mornings are our evenings and viceeversee. Maybe someone else will chime in before then hopefully. I hate that Smokey and Dot are in the bottom corner. They've both been doing so well and I know you don't need a setback at this point. Probably just something minor, as you've been doing everything right for some time.

Keep posting and I'll check back and see if you've gotten some advice, as now I'll worry about both of them...and their mom, lol!

I'm a little anxious about the salt you used Debbie. Just "nothing added" salt may have had anticaking agents in. I never use salt unless it lists the ingredients on the back. Usually pickling salt is fine....but some fish do not like salt it is true. The fish should not really be botttom sitting with the salt if you added it slowly in 3 stages. I recommend you now get it all out. I know. I am sorry but it is better to be safe than sorry. There are alternatives we can work on.

Do a 70% temperature matched water change at once and get hold of some MELAFIX to add as soon as you can. This is safe, non reactive and healing too.

I'm on my lunchbreak at work and about to get caught on the computer so cant stop...but will check in later...I forgot to confirm with you- did you add the salt all in one go or in 3 stages?? Only if it was all at once that would be a big shock..I'm grappling at straws here. I just read Ranchugirl say that Wall-Mar* pickling salt is fine an dI think thats what you used...? Let us know. If there was nothing added that salt should not harm your fish only they may not like it.

I'm on my lunchbreak at work and about to get caught on the computer so cant stop...but will check in later...I forgot to confirm with you- did you add the salt all in one go or in 3 stages?? Only if it was all at once that would be a big shock..I'm grappling at straws here. I just read Ranchugirl say that Wall-Mar* pickling salt is fine an dI think thats what you used...? Let us know. If there was nothing added that salt should not harm your fish only they may not like it.

Hi Trinks :)

Thank you for using your lunch break to help us "know nothing" fish keepers. :unsure: I hope you used some of the time to actually eat lunch!

The salt - is this here. I did see Ranchugirl had mentioned salt bought at Wall-Mar*, and that is where I bought this.

I added the salt in three stages. (Let me go get my notes) The first dose was added Oct. 9th. 10 tsp for the 10 gallon tank. On Oct 10th I added another 10 tsp, then I waited a few days to see how that went, and there was no change so I added the last 10 tsp this afternoon. I also made sure to replace the salt removed during the water changes. Did I do it the right way? I'd hate to think that I did something wrong.

They got a bit active after feeding them tonight - scouring around the bottom for whatever they may have missed - the little vacuum cleaners. :)

I will go do the water change now, anyway. They were active for a while after the earlier water change - so I'd rather do it now than make them stay in it all night, and I won't be up to watch them. (It's just 12:30am here now)

I'll keep you posted! And don't be sorry. We didn't know that I had tempermental fish. :exactly

Thank you so much! :hug

And Vickie! I'll write back tomorrow.. I've got some water changing to do, then SLEEP!!! Thank you for your concern. I truly appreciate it. :heart

Debbie

Trinks yes :P !But my dad did not call me that!

And yes thanks Vickie for the wonderful support and cheerful chat here for Smokey and Dot. We all appreciate that :flowers . (Note to Vickie: I hope you get the zeolite pillow out of your filter after a week max as the ammonia can leak back when the pillow is fully absorbed!)

Debs I checked the link and the salt seems okay. How are the fish today? And do you remember how were they when the salting was at 0.2% for a few days? Maybe you could go back to that level.

BTW that is a very useful salt measuring chart!

What are your water params as of now Debbie? No ammonia or nitrite spiking? That would not be good. Will you try the melafix? Will check back in my morning/your evening I think that is :)

Thank you for using your lunch break to help us "know nothing" fish keepers. :unsure:

It's really fun helping out. And btw I was a know -nothing not so long ago and in another year you will b e a know-a-bit like me and you'll be doing what me and other oldies are doing...that's the way the wheel goes round :bingo::heart

Trinks yes :P !But my dad did not call me that!

And yes thanks Vickie for the wonderful support and cheerful chat here for Smokey and Dot. We all appreciate that :flowers . (Note to Vickie: I hope you get the zeolite pillow out of your filter after a week max as the ammonia can leak back when the pillow is fully absorbed!)

Debs I checked the link and the salt seems okay. How are the fish today? And do you remember how were they when the salting was at 0.2% for a few days? Maybe you could go back to that level.

BTW that is a very useful salt measuring chart!

What are your water params as of now Debbie? No ammonia or nitrite spiking? That would not be good. Will you try the melafix? Will check back in my morning/your evening I think that is :)

Absolutely no problem! Debbie and I came on here around the same time with sick fish and I know how frustrating and scary it can be when you don't know whats wrong.

The zeolite pillow is coming out today. I'm just paranoid about it, and as you said, its only a temporary fix. I'm not sure what the ammonia problem is here, but I'll go back to doing 30% water changes daily until it stays down. Thanks for the advice on that.

Debbie, how are Smokey and Dot today?

It's really fun helping out. And btw I was a know -nothing not so long ago and in another year you will b e a know-a-bit like me and you'll be doing what me and other oldies are doing...that's the way the wheel goes round.

Hey Trinks!

So then in another year, they'll be calling me Dr. Debs? :teehee I saw that post! It would be nice to help someone if I could though!

The fish are fine at the moment, but only after a scare this morning. When I woke up, Dot was swimming around fine, but Smokey had taken up his old haunt, sitting behind the treasure chest. :( I went up to the tank, and he got up only a little bit, and seemed to fall back down. I waved to him, and he got up again, and I noticed he had an inch or so of "sausage links" hanging from him, and there were a few "floaters" on the top edges of the tank. I don't know if they were his or Dot's, but after about 1/2 an hour, he dropped the sausages, and they sank. (It literally looked like a strip of 3 miniature sausages) Since then, he's been swimming around a bit, but a little on the clumsy side - with his dorsal fin down. He's not bottom sitting, but is just kind of hovering, not swimming much. Dot is fine - with her fins all perked, and completely active.

The fish seemed okay with the .2% salt, until the night of the 14th - which was the 4th day of .2%. Should I bring it back to .2%, and change out the water when it starts affecting them again? Yes, this chart was a wonderful idea that a brilliant person suggested to me. ;)

I checked the water params this morning.. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, and pH 7.8. Does that mean the cycle crashed? :cry It was only at 5 just before water changes anyway, and I technically did a 100% water change yesterday... 30% yesterday afternoon, and 70% last night... so could it just be low? How often should I test the water, in case it DID crash?

I will get the Melafix as soon as I can. I'm housebound today (no car) so I'll check stores online today, and get it tomorrow - unless it's an online only purchase, then I can do it that way.

Isn't Vickie a doll? She's been a great friend, and very comforting when my fishies get me stressed. :heart

Thank you for your help, Doc. :D I'll test the water later tonight, and see how things look then - and I'll post back with all the info.

:hug

Debbie

Absolutely no problem! Debbie and I came on here around the same time with sick fish and I know how frustrating and scary it can be when you don't know whats wrong.

The zeolite pillow is coming out today. I'm just paranoid about it, and as you said, its only a temporary fix. I'm not sure what the ammonia problem is here, but I'll go back to doing 30% water changes daily until it stays down. Thanks for the advice on that.

Debbie, how are Smokey and Dot today?

Hi Vickie! :hi

What's this with the ammonia problem??? I hadn't seen anything about that!! You poor thing, that tank is wearing you out! :thud How are the fish doing? I hope you're holding up okay.

Like I said to Trinks... :whistle the seem to be doing okay. Smokey right now is scouring the gravel for lunch leftovers, so he looks better. Looking at him, I see a hint of a dorsal fin now and then, too. Dot is fine, and has been since I got up this morning.

I'm going to keep an eye on my water params, since my nitrates were zero this morning. I'm hoping that they're just low. I don't test my water after a water change, since things have been fine - so I don't know what's "normal" for this tank after a water change. I rinsed out my filter cartridge the other day (in tank water from a water change) instead of changing it out, because I want to use it in the new tank - whenever that gets set up. It seems to be taking forever, but with one thing after another, he hasn't had the time. Now he's come down with a cold, so I hope he'll feel well enough to work on it on his next days off. (Tomorrow & Wednesday)

Thank you again, Vickie, for your caring and friendship. :bighug You and Trinks are the best! :heart

"Debs" :exactly

Oops! I said I would post back last night, and I didn't. :rolleyes:

First off, the fish have been great. I'm not sure why Smokey was bottom sitting and just hovering yesterday morning, but he perked up after "lunch" yesterday and has been fine ever since. Maybe it was just the transition from the salted water to the fresher water..? :hummm

Water readings last night were the same - Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0 and pH 7.8, and I tested again this morning and the Nitrate was more orange than 0, but not enough to be at 5. The others were the same, so I guess all is good. :thumb: I'll test again later, just to be sure.

Should I add salt again at the next water change? If so, I'll have to figure out how much salt is left in there... and how much needs to go in. Math gives me a headache. :ill:rofl Good thing for my notes. It'll help a lot.

Have a good day - whoever is reading this! :D

Debbie

Hey Debs!

Well, the ammonia is staying at a low reading between 0-.025, so I'm just not going to stress over it. I took the Zeolite pillow out as Trinket suggested, did a 30% water change and it seems ok. Gotta get a water tester tonight for the 'trates and 'trites, lol, as I ran out earlier in the week and payday has just arrived!! :exactly

I'll be interested in what anyone thinks about your um..sausage links, lol...as when Moby was ill and in the smaller tank I also noticed that. I was having so many other issues with him that I don't think I even though much about it. And now that you mention it, I haven't noticed those anymore.

Poor little Smokey, he is just going to be your problem child until he stays 100% for a while isn't he? I'll be glad when your husband gets your tank stand going so you can get them in their new home. They will love it and so will you. :heart

I don't know any more than you about the readings, but if you were showing a nitrate reading before, I'd also be concerned if it dropped to nothing. I don't THINK water changes will crash the cycle, as I've been told that the water doesn't cycle the tank, the media does. Hopefully someone will chime in here to clarify that for you and give you some ideas.

And thanks for the kind words. You and I came on here about the same time, and everyone gathered around so quickly to help us. :grouphug If not for the advice on here, I'd probably have lost both of my fish, bought more, and would not be taking proper care of them, either. This is a wonderful forum, and everyone is really nice. Its a lot of fun!

I'm sure someone will check in on you this evening. Hopefully they can shed some light on whats going on with your cycle. Keeping my fingers crossed! :goodluck

Hey Vickie :hi I've been trying to catch up with you round the board but you are there one minute and gone the next :rofl : and I wanted to say that the lowest reading 0-0.25 for ammonia can actually mean zero on some test kits. Which kind do you have? My seachem kits are like that. There is no zero, the lowest includes 0.25% and its yellow. If so no problem :thumb: !!!

Debs- I think you are absolutely right on the transition thing. I'd never really thought about that but it makes so much sense. Some fish are extra specially sensitive to change and Smokey is probably one of those little fishes! But the wonderful thing about these little sensitive ones is that they become your resident toxic water alarm-bell fish. As soon as there is the slightest trouble with the water Smokey will be letting you know :I-Thank-You: . Which is very useful :D

About the nitrates. They can be 0 after a large water change yes. It is temporary. Nitrates are like the salt, you take them out with the water change so if you only had 5 to begin with if you do a very large water change you can actually remove them to the point where they will not register on the chart. Are you using drop test or strip? Strip are evn less accurate and even many drop nitrate kits are up for inspection in terms of accuracy to the final iota.

How are the nitrates now? You only have to worry if there are no nitrates before the water change. You are doing just fine with those. Low is good. Wish I could get mine as low!!

About the salt. I was concerned about the droopy and ragged fins. The level of 0.1% is enough with the melafix and perfect water to heal up rags and tears if they are minor but with clamped fins I think you should try for a constant level of salt for several days, observing closely. I find there is a difference in each step up and at 0.2% I've personally had best results for fin problems. At 0.3% you are also covering for parasites- many of which die at this point as long as the salt is sustained at that level for at least a week. I think 0.2% is plenty here. Can you do the math to mantain that at the next water change, thing is ammonia alonside salt counteracts any good effect so those w/cs are still top priority.

And........as Vickie says- how about the new tank???? Aren't you so wanting to get them in there ASAP? I was thinking you have this cycle complete so transfer would not be difficult. Could you start to 'seed' the filter that came with the new tank now by putting it on smokey and dots present tank. Is there room? It would only take you a week or so to get enough bbs in that to do a very effective complete cycle cross-over. No need for that kitchen ammonia :closed: ! The 10 gallon must be starting to look very small and in fact the space issue may well be the underlying root problem of the fin problems :exactly .

Oh, sorry for the long post -I'll let you go now!! :rest:

Hey Trinks! :D

No problem with a long post, don't worry. Wow - I have 100 posts now, so the "posting box" area looks a little different! Sorry - sidetracked myself (one of my favorite past-times, actually ;) )

I guess it would be handy to have a sensitvie fish to let me know when something is wrong, I just feel bad that he'd have to feel poorly to let me know! Vigilant water changes will help that a lot though, I'm sure!

I use the test drop kit for my water tests. I make sure to time all of the shaking so it's done properly. The bottle itself says to shake for at least 30 seconds, so I do it for a few more. The nitrates last night were almost at 5, but not quite. I haven't done a water change since "the big one", because I wanted to make sure some nitrates would register. They're slowly creeping up, so I'm sure the tank will be up for a little 25% - 30% change today. :)

Thanks to my notes, I figured out that I still have 9 tsps of salt in the tank. (there was 30, so taking out 7 gallons in the 70% wc meant I took out 21) I'm so clever! :rofl That's about 0.1% already, so would it be okay to bring it to 0.2%? Should I just add 10 tsps (plus whatever with the wc removes) and consider it 0.2% or should I add 11 tsps, plus whatever I take out?

This 10 gallon is looking EXTREMELY small. Dot had gotten so big, I feel bad when she wants to zoom around the tank. She gets up speed for 3 inches and has to stop to keep from hitting the other side. :( Smokey isn't as fast yet, with his tail still droopy. He's so darn cute though, when he tries to go fast, he wiggles his body so much - it's absolutely adorable! :heart:heart Nothing new has been done with the stand. He keeps measuring and re-measuring. Hopefully soon. It's been almost a month since we bought it, I believe. I'm tired of seeing it empty!

What a great idea about putting the new filter in their current tank!! Is it true that there's no such thing as too much filtration? I think I saw that in someones name in the forum. :D And I would leave the current filter in also? I'd be happy if I didn't have to mess with that ammonia! I'll have to check and see if it would fit on there.

I'm going to keep an eye on Dot for a few days. Last night I noticed little spots - not really a color, so I can't say what color they are - but there was one on the very top of her tail, and I think there was 2 on her bottom fins. I don't remember if it was her pectoral or pelvic fins. She has black dots on her, so it's hard to remember if something was there - or I'm just noticing another dot. (When I first got her, she had a big black dot over her left eye - and that's how she got her name. As she grew, the dot moved and isn't on her eye anymore.)

If I notice anymore, I'll know it's something to be concerned about, and maaaaaaaybe I can get my daughter to take a picture of it..... :rofl:rofl2:rofl3:tomuch: But then, maybe not.. I'll have to try myself, if she won't.

I'll keep you posted!

:hug

Debbie

so....ok, i admit, i haven't really kept up with the situation here...but you do have the new tank, but your fishies aren't in it yet, correct? I am sure they will LOVE it once they get in there!!

Hi Vix!! :hi

I was going to put "Vicks", but that's cough syrup. :ignore lol

Well, you're ammonia doesn't seem to be TOO bad, it's just odd that it creeps up at all. That's more stressing than anything, I'm sure. So long as it's in a safe level, I s'pose you're right to not worry much about it.

How many test kits have you gone through? With the cycling taking as long as it did, I can't help but wonder how long those little bottles last!

I have to look up what the Zeolite looks like. I keep seeing it mentioned in different threads, and the fact that it can be reused - has me intrigued. :D Like I've said before, I'm easily amused. lol

I don't know what was up with the "sausage links". He had some again yesterday. He's always had different looking droppings from Dot, though. Hers have almost always been "normal". Yesterday though, she was a bit stringy and white, but only about an inch long. Smokey's white stringies used to be inchES long.

It sounds like Moby's were from being ill - or in an improper tank - which is what made him ill in the first place!

You're right. We'd be without our fishies right now if it weren't for Koko's. I don't know if I'd have gotten more fish, though. I got so attached to my fish - that I would have had a hard time losing either of them. I can't thank everyone enough for all that they did for Smokey, Dot - and me. So Smokey can be my problem child all he wants... cuz he's alive - and that's all that matters! :exactly:wub:

I'm glad my tank is fine, and the cycle didn't crash. (yaaaay!!) I think I'm going to try Trinks's suggestion and see if the new filter will fit on the tank they're in now. If both filters have the bbs, and the rocks and ornaments go in, too - it should be fine in no time at all! I wasn't looking forward to smelling ammonia - even for a short period of time. And I kept wondering what I was going to do with the rest of the ammonia once I used the tiny bit needed for the tank! I'm sensative to cleaners and smells. They give me dreadful headaches... so I really wouldn't want to use it as a cleaner. All I have to do is smell Windex, and I'm in trouble! I just want to get the tank up and running... enough measuring already!! lol I know it's best to be sure.. measure twice, cut once - etc.. I'm just getting impatient. :rolleyes:

Take care, Sweety!! :heart

Debbie

GRAIN!! :hi

You've had enough on your plate to come listen to my woes, so don't worry about it! :D

Yes, I have a new tank, and I know they'll love it!! It's 55 gallons - so it'll be like an ocean for them!! For a few months anyway, and they get bigger!

Positioning seems to be a problem, too. I thought we had decided where the tank would go - but yesterday hubby said that he hadn't decided for sure where it was going. I can't put it where the current one is, because I'd have to move it. I don't think you're supposed to move a tank with water in it...

Hubby is sick now, too - with a cold - so he's not too eager to get into doing much of anything. It gets to be a hassle to have to wipe the nose every 5 seconds when you're trying to get something done. :blink:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll be soon, though!!!

Thanks for checking in on Smokey!! :heart

Debbie

*edit* - Thanks for replying to that post about the melafix! No one else was replying, and I saw that you had just bought some. You're a sweety! :D

Edited by Fishy Fish

OHHHH.....a 55 gal! they will love that!! I know mine do! haha...i only wish that I had researched my shubunkin more before I got him, as I think maybe just my 3 goldies and 1 pleco are too much for my 55 gal....but your 2 little guys will grow so fast in there!!! I can't wait to see pics!!

haha...yeah, you definately shouldn't move a tank with water in it....although, i have done that a time or two...but not a full tank, just half way or whatever....and let me tell ya, those suckers are HEAVY!!!

I hope your hubby gets better soon so he can set it up for ya! It was just me & my mom when I got mine, and we had to get the tank and the stand upstairs by ourselves...no easy task cause I am not a strong girl! hahaha....my mom is awesome though, she broke out the power tools and we built that stand in no time!

Oh, and thanks for telling me about the melafix thread, I love to help whenever I can!! :)

I am so glad smokey is doing better, I can't wait till he gets in his new castle of a tank!!

Woohoo, a lot of postin' goin' on here today, lol! :rofl

Trinket, the ammonia test kit is a Hagen and yes, its a pale yellow so I'm going to stop worrying about it. I'd been wondering where you were, but our schedules are opposite since I work 3rd shift so I figured we'd catch up with each other sooner or later! :krazy:

Debs, the drop test kits last a pretty long time, but its the stupid strips that you run out of so fast. I mean, they're like $10 for 25 strips, and sometimes during the earlier part of cycling I was using 4 strips a day!$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!! Now that the tank has cycled its down to a manageable level, but cycling is an expensive project. You might want to stock up on your testing stuff. I don't think you'll have to worry about Zeolite for a long time. I actually probably didn't need it, and after I read about it, it sort of worried me so that was money for nothing. You also can't use Zeolite in a salted tank, and you're about as salty as a peanut right now in yours! :tomuch:

I think once you get the kids into a bigger tank they will be fine. You're going to have to use those "feminine wiles" that you used to get hubby to go for the bigger tank to get him motivated on the stand for you. ;)

Gotta go to work, but I'll check in and see if you've had any more problems in the morning! :iwill

Hi Vix! :hi

Yes - there was a lot of posting today! Nothing like the sound of fingers dancing across the keys! Except it would sound better on a piano... and better yet if I knew how to play it. :rolleyes:

I'm glad you decided to stop worrying about your ammonia. I don't know of the test kit you mentioned, though. Mine today was a touch on the green side, but not enough to bring it to .25. I haven't heard back yet about how much salt to put in, so I just did a little wc today... about 20% - 25%. Now I have MORE math to figure out. :blink: lol

My nitrates were back to 5, so I was glad about that. I have ammonia test strips that I bought waaaay back when Smokey first got sick, but I don't use them anymore. I get a different reading with those, compared to the API test kit.. although I just recently read a post that maybe that kit isn't all it's been built up to be. :unsure: But the test strips will come in handy if I ever ran out of drops, since at least I'd have an idea of where the ammonia is. I just have to keep the shelf life in mind.

you're about as salty as a peanut right now in yours! :tomuch:

You are TOO funny!!! :rofl I had heard about the Zeolite, though, and not to use it in a salt with tank. Apparently that's how you rid the Zeolite of the ammonia it's absorbed? Hopefully I won't need it.

So - so far so good, today. Hopefully tomorrow won't bring anything unwanted. Poor grain, have you seen the trouble that poor girl has been having?

Thanks for checking in! Say Hi to Moby and Florence for me! :D

:heart

Debs

. I haven't heard back yet about how much salt to put in, so I just did a little wc today... about 20% - 25%. Now I have MORE math to figure out. :blink: lol

Sorry hun did I miss dosage (I was rambling away to myself working some stuff out I think without any conclusion)and are you waiting on that ? I think Smokey and Dot will do just fine at 0.2% or even 1.5% if you can work that out. Don't go over 0.2%. If the math gets tricky better to err on less than more here as there are no parasites here just some fin problems.

Salty peanut :rofl

You guys are so funny and this upbeat thread has turned into an epic. The legend of Smokey(and Dot in valiant supporting fish role) :D His story has forged some nice friendships here too :heart