Sign in to follow this  
Fishy Fish

Help Save Smokey, My Shubunkin Goldfish!

Good morning Debbie,

Wow, I was hoping that you'd say that Smokey was just 100% better. "Crappy" pics...you're very funny! :tomuch:

Trinket has given you some great advice there, and I'd never heard of garlic so that'd probably be worth a shot.

Congrats on finally sweet-talking the hubby, and for a new 55 gallon, no less, plus he's putting up the stand! You go girl! :panana

I'm heading into the second week on my tank, and am still dealing with the ammonia spikes. Then I'll have to deal with the nitrite spikes.

If you can take the filter and filter media from your old tank and use them on the new one along with the filter you buy, I understand that will be beneficial to your cycling. Thats what I did, and it saves you a few bucks at the same time. There is soooo much great information in the "Tanks" thread, and it walks you through the cycling process.

I hope Smokey has just been constipated, and will now get better. We all know what THAT feels like! From the pics, I don't see how he could have much more in him, lol!

Good luck and keep posting on how he's doing!

Goodmorning Smokey's Mom . Good to see Smokey is hanging in there..no pun intended

It's very difficult to know exactly what is going on inside of Smokey. That's the trouble with these internal issues. As well as the columnaris there could be constipation problems or it could just be gas building up inside from the bacteria in there. Are there any scales sticking out on Smokey anywhere at all? Any new symptoms on the body? How are your water params today?

Hi Trinket :hi (<---that is adorable!)

Thank you for all the great information and advice! Smokey was sitting on the bottom when I went to bed last night, and was still on the bottom when I got up this morning. He must have really pooped himself out yesterday. (chuckle chuckle) He actually swam over to the glass when I said "Good Morning" though, instead of swimming away from me, like he has been. I hope he is just tired from yesterday. He struggled so much with that floating. I told him that when he gets in the new tank he'll be the world's fastest Shubunkin, with the workout he's been giving his muscles. :D

I haven't been up very long, so I haven't tested the water yet today - but yesterday they were basically the same as they've been - all zero's, pH 7.8.

The 'yucky' gallery pics show quite a lot of poop so hopefully if he was constipated this is now on the mend. I suppose it could also be the kind of intestinal reaction when ones diet changes radically and antibiotics are on the menu. Is the orangey yellow color the same color as the Jungle Lab food?

The food is more of a brown. Dot's poop is the same color, and normal looking. Smokey's are actually different colors. Some are orangey yellow, some are beige/white. The beige/white ones are the more fibrous ones, and I wondered if it was the colomnaris working it's way out? He isn't as bloated up right now as he was, but there is still something bulging back there, like he still needs to go.

You said the Tetracare man said you could combine the 2 meds for antiparasite and anti bacteria. I would rather try them back to back. Finish one short course and then try a short course of the other. It may be worth a shot.

There is one other thing you could do. Soak the bacterial food in garlic. Garlic is the big buzz word in the goldfish food industry recently and is claimed to kill intestinal parasites !! Many tests have verified this and it is a cheap home solution if you thought you'd like to try that. This way you could continue with the anti columnaris bacteria food and also know you were doing something toward helping if there should be intestinal parasites.

Wow - the garlic trick! I heard about that somewhere before! I'll definitely try that. I'll have to look up just how to do that. Thank you! :thumbs:

Anyway, please keep adding the correct low dose of epsom salt after the water changes as a tonic for the bloating right now. There are no side effects from that and it does seem to be helping a little. Make sure too that all your water params are in order as I think I remember you are not cycled yet.?

I have been replacing the epsom salt after each water change, and I keep checking the water params. No, it's not cycled yet. Will that make the transfer to the new tank easier - or more difficult? :blink:

Congratulations on the new tank. That is fabulous news :D . 55 gallons is a perfect size- I have one that size. Your fish will just love it. It will need setting up and running before you put the fish in and you will need to transfer everything from the tank you have now- gravel AND filter you are using.

The 350 filter is not really enough power on its own you see (they never are the filters sold with the tanks) but if you add the one you have now you should be fine. Most people run 2 or 3 filters on their tanks.

I was hoping it was the perfect size for them. I had planned on using my old filter, too. I had read another post (by a charming young woman) who had done the same thing! (Right Vickie? :hug ) Do I rinse the gravel, or would that wash away what I need it for? It has some algae growth on it. It seemed to have died off for a while, but in the past week I've noticed it growing back on things.

So, just to be sure that my thinking is correct, the gravel I can put in the tank when I start it up, but the filter I still need in the current tank - so I'll switch that when I switch the fish, correct?

On the new tank, do I just rinse it out with water? Would it be okay to do that outside - or would inside be best? I'm so afraid of breaking it. With grass being softer than the floors of the tub or shower, I wondered about doing it outside.

Thank you so much for all of your help!!

Debbie

Good morning Debbie,

Wow, I was hoping that you'd say that Smokey was just 100% better. "Crappy" pics...you're very funny! :tomuch:

Trinket has given you some great advice there, and I'd never heard of garlic so that'd probably be worth a shot.

Hi Vickie,

Oh my gosh - that laughing emoticon is hysterical!! :teehee I usually try to take them out of "quotes", but I'm enjoying that one too much!

I was hoping that Smokey would have done a good turnaround by now, too. The TetraCare man had told me that when a fish is sick, it's open to many different infections. I sometimes wonder if Smokey hasn't been going from one thing to another or what.

Congrats on finally sweet-talking the hubby, and for a new 55 gallon, no less, plus he's putting up the stand! You go girl!

I'm heading into the second week on my tank, and am still dealing with the ammonia spikes. Then I'll have to deal with the nitrite spikes.

If you can take the filter and filter media from your old tank and use them on the new one along with the filter you buy, I understand that will be beneficial to your cycling. Thats what I did, and it saves you a few bucks at the same time. There is soooo much great information in the "Tanks" thread, and it walks you through the cycling process.

Yes, my hubby surprises me. He'll keep saying that they're "just fish", and they're "too much trouble", and then he doesn't want to get a used tank, in case there are things in it that could cause more problems than they already have. He was enjoying himself putting the stand together, and when I offered to help, he said "I'm doing fine!". He always likes putting things together though. :)

I had read your thread on your new tank process, and that you used your old filter. :thanks I check back to see how it's going. The newest stuff on there goes over my head, but sounds like it's great information - once I figure out what it all means. :D It sounds like things are going pretty well though! And Moby is orange again! That's great!

How often do you test the water on your new tank? Once a day? Twice a day? When different things "spike", how fast can it happen?

I hope Smokey has just been constipated, and will now get better. We all know what THAT feels like! From the pics, I don't see how he could have much more in him, lol!

Good luck and keep posting on how he's doing!

I think Trinket is on to something when she said it could be a reaction to his diet change. A combination of that, plus whatever else he's got in there, just seems to grow in him - and at a pretty quick pace, too. He gets all bumpy, like it's just packed inside the poor li'l critter.

I'll be sure to keep you all posted. Hopefully all good news from here on out! :thumb:

Gotta go check on that filter, so I'll check back in later!

Debbie

:)Hey Debbie,

Okay, now here is what they told me about the tank cycling, and if I'm mistaken, I hope they will notice and correct me. The gist of what I have understood is that for the first maybe 2 weeks, the ammonia will spike, and you have to watch that carefully. There is stuff to take the ammonia out, but I found it just as easy(not to mention cheaper)to do 30-40% water changes every day. I check the water morning and evening right now while its cycling. After it cycles, I won't have to check it as much.

Then, after the ammonia calms down to 0 all the time, the nitrites will spike. They've told me that this is just as dangerous as the ammonia. This will go on for maybe 2 weeks or so. Then, suddenly, they tell me it will all calm down as the good bacteria becomes sufficient to kill off the ammonia and nitrites, and voila, the tank is cycled! :tbanana

I'm trying to learn from another thread how to make my own filters. This would be great, as nnnnnn or the lfs doesn't carry the filters for my tropical tank anymore.

I tell you what, though, the people who work at the lfs no next to nothing compared to the people on this forum. :idont The guy actually talked me OUT of buying a media sponge for the filter on my tank! Actually made me feel stupid for thinking I needed it, when I KNEW I did...told me I could just use a cellulose sponge if I felt I needed something to hold bacteria. I figured if they didn't want to sell it, that was ok with me. Duh. I did buy some Prime, as I'm anticipating the nitrites to start creeping up any day, and they scare me as bad as the ammonia. That was the downside to having to cycle the tank with Moby and Florence in it.

One thing about your gravel that Tinker told me...don't rinse it out in chlorinated tap water. It kills the bacs you need. She said to rinse it out in tank water or declorinated water.

:goodluck Good luck with Smokey, and good luck with your new tank! We're both learning as we go along, and be sure to post some pics as soon as you get it set up. I can't wait to see it, and Smokey in his new home!

Okay, now here is what they told me about the tank cycling, and if I'm mistaken, I hope they will notice and correct me. The gist of what I have understood is that for the first maybe 2 weeks, the ammonia will spike, and you have to watch that carefully. There is stuff to take the ammonia out, but I found it just as easy(not to mention cheaper)to do 30-40% water changes every day. I check the water morning and evening right now while its cycling. After it cycles, I won't have to check it as much.

Then, after the ammonia calms down to 0 all the time, the nitrites will spike. They've told me that this is just as dangerous as the ammonia. This will go on for maybe 2 weeks or so. Then, suddenly, they tell me it will all calm down as the good bacteria becomes sufficient to kill off the ammonia and nitrites, and voila, the tank is cycled!

Hi Vickie, :hi

It makes sense, yet seems confusing at the same time. When I started the little kit that they're in now, I didn't have a test kit, so I guess I was lucky that they lived through it. I even went the first two months only doing monthly water changes - then I went to twice a month, until Smokey got sick. Now I wonder how they didn't get sick a looooong time ago!! :idont

So, once the ammonia settles down you have to watch the nitrites. Do you have to do water changes again when/if they spike? And why wouldn't all the water changes mess up the cycle? I feel like, I know how it works, but I don't know why - you know?

I'm trying to learn from another thread how to make my own filters. This would be great, as nnnnnn or the lfs doesn't carry the filters for my tropical tank anymore.

I tell you what, though, the people who work at the lfs no next to nothing compared to the people on this forum. :idont The guy actually talked me OUT of buying a media sponge for the filter on my tank! Actually made me feel stupid for thinking I needed it, when I KNEW I did...told me I could just use a cellulose sponge if I felt I needed something to hold bacteria. I figured if they didn't want to sell it, that was ok with me. Duh. I did buy some Prime, as I'm anticipating the nitrites to start creeping up any day, and they scare me as bad as the ammonia. That was the downside to having to cycle the tank with Moby and Florence in it.

I find it so hard at vvvv, because you almost always get different answers from different people. One girl told me that the Aqua Clear filter was great for goldfish, because you could put in different inserts for different things - and one of them was to remove ammonia. I mentioned this to another salesperson who was showing us an Emperor, and he said that the cycle needs ammonia, so it's damaging the cycle to remove ammonia with additives, etc. Who do I believe? They both made sense. But the Emperor is very expensive, too. I wonder if they get commissions.

One thing about your gravel that Tinker told me...don't rinse it out in chlorinated tap water. It kills the bacs you need. She said to rinse it out in tank water or declorinated water.

I'll be sure to do that. I can't believe the size of this tank, though. Partial water changes will take out more water than what's in my current tank!

Good luck with Smokey, and good luck with your new tank! We're both learning as we go along, and be sure to post some pics as soon as you get it set up. I can't wait to see it, and Smokey in his new home!

Thank you! :D He's doing a little better tonight. Swimming more. He spent most of the day on the gravel. He's still eating though, so that's a plus. It was so heartbreaking to see him upside down. I hope we won't have to deal with that again for quite a while.

vvvv didn't have the filter on the shelves yet this morning, so I'll probably get it tomorrow. Hubby wants to put extra supports on the stand before we set the tank up on it. He was surprised at how much a full tank would weigh!

I'll be sure to keep posting his progress. I'm going to see if I can find some information on using garlic for intestinal parasites. I'm confused how you would soak food in garlic.. when garlic is solid. :hummm

Bye for now!

Debbie

I asked the same question here in another thread as to why changing the water so much doesn't mess up the cycle, and they explained to me that the water doesn't cause the tank to cycle, the media does.

It is confusing. :krazy:

I was reading another post that touched on what they told you at vvvv. In a way, that salesman was kind of right, I think. Another thread had a post where they were talking about the tank needs some ammonia to cycle. Not a lot, but some. Are you thoroughly confused yet, because if you're not I sure am, lol! :thud

I agree. I think our fish just lived by luck, because I never did this stuff before Moby became so sick. The change in him is pretty amazing!!

Smokey Update:

Smokey is about the same as yesterday. Mostly bottom sitting and a bit bulgy, but swims when I go near the tank. Sort of an "Oh jeez - here she comes again" type thing. :krazy:

I soaked their food in the "juice" of a smashed garlic clove, and fed them that. (The food, not the smashed garlic clove) Dot ate it, but I didn't see Smokey eat any of it. I thought I'd try that, since they didn't eat the parasite food that I tried giving them a few weeks back. I ended up treating the tank with Parasite Clear instead.

I haven't tested the water yet today - but it will be done within the hour. I'll post the params later.

vvvv still hasn't stocked their shelves. I was told that they had a lot of problems yesterday with people calling in, and that a pallet got knocked over and there was a mess. Jeez.. Nice store. So how much damaged merchadise do they plan on selling. The same filter is $20 more at mmm - so I was hoping to save by buying at vvvv. Maybe it's not worth it.

It also finally dawned on me last night that I'm going to CT next week for three days - early Thursday till late on Saturday. What would be best for the fish? To still be in the tank they're in for those days, or be in the new one - providing I manage to get a hold of that filter?

I'm going up for a wedding. I bought the tickets way before Smokey even got sick. Even still, I never imagined it would take so long to get him back to 100%. I miss the little goofball being a goofball. :(

I'll be back in a bit with the water params.

Thank you all for your help. :heart

Debbie

Hey Debbie,

Well, congrats on your upcoming "vacation"! I dunno. I'm kind of thinking that since the tank would be cycling, unless you have someone there to test your water params every day and do water changes, it might be a bad idea to leave your babies cycling in the tank by themselves. If your ammonia or nitrites spike, no one would be there to fix it or do a water change, and that could be bad news for Smokey and Dot, especially with Smokey not being 100%.

Just my :twocents , and one of these guys here could give you some ideas, but I've been having to do at least one 30% water change a day since I set the tank up Saturday, and will probably have to up it since I'm starting to see a nitrite reading slipping in. Somebody has to be there to fight the good water fight, lol! :bat:

Hey Debbie,

Well, congrats on your upcoming "vacation"! I dunno. I'm kind of thinking that since the tank would be cycling, unless you have someone there to test your water params every day and do water changes, it might be a bad idea to leave your babies cycling in the tank by themselves. If your ammonia or nitrites spike, no one would be there to fix it or do a water change, and that could be bad news for Smokey and Dot, especially with Smokey not being 100%.

Just my :twocents , and one of these guys here could give you some ideas, but I've been having to do at least one 30% water change a day since I set the tank up Saturday, and will probably have to up it since I'm starting to see a nitrite reading slipping in. Somebody has to be there to fight the good water fight, lol! :bat:

Hi Vickie,

Don't you just love the huge selection of emoticons? They crack me up. :lol: I'm easily amused, and having so many to choose from is so much fun. I still see new ones that I never noticed before.

Anyyywaaayyyyy...

So, you see numbers every day when you test - and that's why you do water changes daily? Or do you do the water changes to be on the safe side?

I was wondering about the cycling, too, when I'm gone. The thing is, that my 10 gallon isn't exactly cycled either. I just looked through my records, and I haven't had a reading in nitrate since August 28th - it was only 5 then, but it's been zero ever since.

I tested my water earlier, and everything is zero again (ammonia, nitrites and nitrates) and the pH is 7.8. Lately when I finish, I think to myself "Why bother? It's always the same!" but I know I have to, because it can change in a flash. :exactly

I was doing 50% water changes every day, but then started going every other day, since the readings were all at zero. I wonder if I should wait until there's actually a reading of some kind before I do a water change? Maybe try 25% every day instead of 50% every day?

With the tank not showing signs of cycling in the past three weeks, I surely must be doing something wrong, no?

My daughter will be here while I'm gone, but I don't think she's too eager to look after the tank. I just don't know if it would be best to leave them in a tank that I know can go every other day before changes and still have no readings, or put them in a new tank - that I have no idea how the cycle would go.

Does anyone have any ideas, opinions or suggestions? :unsure:

For their food, I think I'm going to try doing the garlic thing again. I'm hoping he'll eat it if he gets hungry enough. He did eat some before, but spit it back out. I'm not sure if he went back and ate when I wasn't looking, but the food was all gone when I went back to look. Can you soak medicated food before feeding it to them to soften it? I've seen them keep trying to eat the same piece of food and spit it out several times before finally eating it. I wondered if it was too hard for them, compared to the flakes that they were used to?

I know I tend to ramble, and ask a lot of questions... probably a lot of stupid ones, but if I knew the answers, I wouldn't ask, right? :blahblah:D

Debbie

Yeah, I love the emoticons. I makes it easier to get your point across sometimes. :exactly

And I am seeing readings, thats why I'm doing water changes during the cycling. Today the nitrites were at .5 and the ammonia was at .25. Thats not dangerous yet, but I don't want it to spike on me. I've been using Prime during the water changes, but it doesn't seem to be taking it down a lot. I've been doing 30-40% changes, but may have to go to 50%. I'm not sure if I should do more than that. I've also been using salt so they don't get so stressed out. They SEEM fine, but cycling is tricky. Once the cycling gets done, you only have to do partials like once a week, and that'll be WONDERFUL!! :happydance

Water changes every day and sometimes twice are such a pain in the :booty ...well, you know!

I was doing 50% water changes every day, but then started going every other day, since the readings were all at zero. I wonder if I should wait until there's actually a reading of some kind before I do a water change? Maybe try 25% every day instead of 50% every other day?

With the tank not showing signs of cycling in the past three weeks, I surely must be doing something wrong, no?

My daughter will be here while I'm gone, but I don't think she's too eager to look after the tank. I just don't know if it would be best to leave them in a tank that I know can go every other day before changes and still have no readings, or put them in a new tank - that I have no idea how the cycle would go.

Does anyone have any ideas, opinions or suggestions?

Does anyone else have any opinions?

Smokey is about the same today as he was yesterday, except his "bulge" has moved more into the back than on his right side. He bottom sits most of the day, but will swim around a bit when the light is on. His back end is raised a little, but he's not floating up to the top.

The water parameters today were just a little different. The Ammonia was a little bit off the yellow, but not enough to bring it to .25. Nitrites were zero, and Nitrates were at 5, pH at 7.8. That was before the 30% water change.

So that's the news. No good news, but no bad news.. so that's good news. :) Well, I actually had a reading in Nitrates, so I guess that's good news, huh?

Debbie

Getting nitrates is very good news. I wonder if you dont have a cycled tank here... very fast!!.. :thumb: awesome!

And in view of that, with your going away I would think you may want to leave the fish where they are. I know its a bigger tank but with Smokey still not feeling well he may be happier in his own familiar cosy set up until you get back and can give him your full attention with setting up a new tank. Especially now it looks like you may be cycled in this tank. Even people who hav ebeen keeping fish for years experience slight cycle problems when transfering cycles. So, you have some beneficial baccies colonising in the present set up...but it isnt enough for a bigger tank . That would be do-able if you are there every day to monitor params but honestly if you are away that is not going to work and could really mess with the precious biomedia you have already got going.

So my advice? Leave them where they are. Get your daughter to do small w/cs every second day while you are away.

Are you still doing the epsom? You know that is magnesium sulfate- which is used in laxatives.It was prob. what got Smokey going.

Ha sthe bloating diminished? If so I would stop adding that now :)

Hello,

Thank you, Trinket, for the advice. I will leave them in the tank they're in for now. :) Water params today were still Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5, and pH 7.8. So maybe I do have a cycled tank again!

I don't really know how to describe Smokey, except to say that he's bulgy. I did manage to get some pictures.

Bulgy #1, and Bulgy #2

He isn't bloated so much, as just bulgy. It used to be more on his right side, but now it seems like it's in the back, like he really has to go, but he's stopped up. I'm still afraid that he may have swallowed a piece of gravel a few weeks back, and that's what the bulge has been. Maybe I'm wrong, and it's part of the infection, or infestation of parasites. I think I'd prefer those over a piece of gravel. :(

It also looks like his fins are frayed. Will the anti-bacterial medication help heal this? And will his tail ever get back to the way it was? It's been so limp since he's been sick. He was always the bigger of the two fish, and now Dot is bigger than he is.

The anti-bacterial food said to feed it for 5 - 10 days. Today is the 8th day. Should go the 10 days, or should I switch to the gel tetracycline, or should I try anti-parasite and see if they'll eat it?

Does anyone have any ideas as to why he's bulging like that? :why: And should I keep adding the epsom so long as he's like this?

Debbie

Smokey is so cute :heart ! I see though that his dorsal is down and fins slightly clamped still so hes not completely over this yet. But he is heaps better debbie -cf. the clamped dieing fish we first saw huddled in the tank corner. So very good job so far, especially since you were a newbie to this and you are/were also cycling the tank.

If you feel he is still bulgey (and you as his owner seeing him every day is the best judge of this- I can't make it out well from the pics)

there is absolutely no harm at all in continuing the epsom salt dosing. Since it is a laxative he may poop-explode again but this is probably a good thing as long as he keeps eating.

If there was gravel in his stomach he would not be up swimming like this. Its the nasties (parasites or bacteria) inside doing this.

I'd keep up with the anti-bac food to day 10 -you should always complete the course- then change to the antiparasite food as suggested before. The food itself is the treatment for internal nasties. It kills them all IF you complete the course so thats a must.

Edited by Trinket

Thank you so much, Trinket!

I know I'm biased, but isn't he adorable? :exactly He definitely looks like he has a major case of constipation. I'm SO glad to hear that he wouldn't be able to swim if he had a piece of gravel inside him. I guess he'll have a massive explosion when he's able let that bulge go. :hide: He's usually very smooth back there. The bulge is right in his anal area - and it's about the size of his eye. The second photo is actually a better picture of it.

You know, I was looking at some of the earlier pictures that I had posted of him, and I saw that one of him lying sideways in the corner. The poor baby. He really has come a long way. Thanks to everyone here! :heart Sometimes he still swims away from me when I go up to the tank - but I'm so grateful that he swims now, that it doesn't bother me.

Dot is so protective of him, too. If we walk up to the tank too fast, she'll get between us, so we can't see him. And she'll swim past him, brushing up against him - like she's checking up on him. They grew up together, so I guess she's like the big sister. I really need to find their "baby pictures". :D They were so tiny.

Thank you again, Trinket. I'll keep posting his progress!

:BTT My oldest daughter and son-in-law just booked a trip to Japan for next Spring. They are SO excited! They've wanted to go there for so long! My kids have been into Japanese anime and music since Sailor Moon was brought to the US. The video of the fish on Youtube probably has Japanese music in the background, since it's mostly what my youngest listens to. I'll have my daughter give a "wave" while they're at the Tokyo Tower - as a "Hello" to you. :D (They heard that it's a big tourist thing - but that it's being taken down soon, so they want to go to say they've been there.) Your info says that you're currently in Japan, so I thought I'd mention it, while I thought of it.

Have a good day,

:hug

Debbie

Smokey Update!

Smokey looks a WHOLE LOT better tonight! :clapping: This afternoon, he was the "Engergizer Bunny" - and kept going, and going, and going.... Still odd looking droppings, though. It looked like someone dropped whole wheat elbow pasta in the tank. :wacko:

He still has a slight bulge on his side - but it has gone down DRASTICALLY! He and Dot were chasing each other around in the tank! I can't tell you how happy that made me to see that little bugger swim like that!! I really can't get over how much bigger Dot is than him now, too. It almost seems unfair when she chases him. It looks like she's picking on him, but I would think if she was going to pick on him, it would have been when he was lying practically lifeless on the gravel, right?

I have to keep my eye on him though, since the last time he had a big "boom", he was upside down the next day.

Water parameters are all fine: zero, zero, five and 7.8. I did a pretty big water change today, though, to get all of that out of the tank.

Today is day 10 - and the last day - of the anti-bacterial food. I'll start them on the anti-parasite tomorrow. It says to give it three consecutive days for four weeks. Should I go back to their regular food for the other four days? Or should I go with peas tomorrow, to help Smokey finish cleaning out and then go to the anti-parasite food?

Thank you all so much for your help!! You guys are the best! :grouphug

Debbie

Hi Debbie! I am so glad Smokey is doing well. Looks like he is well on his way to a full recovery. :D

Your water param looks excellent. Keep up the good work. :)

Yes great news debbie- this is a fantastic improvement. Dont worry about the growth thing. He will catch up with Dot later when he gets his strength back fully and given some time in your good water.

Yes I think I'd give them a little veggy break before launching into more meds. Three days normal pellets and/or peas perhaps and see how he is. If he does seem completely better (no fluffy stuff in his mouth, no bulging -and active swimming most of the time) you may not need the para meds. I think this was bacterial all along anyway personally and an unopened tub of med food is always a blessing in a fish home :)

And edit about Tokyo...! Yes have your kids wave to me up here in the north! I may just see them from my balcony with my lunar telescope :rofl JK! Well, I doubt it but its a lovely thought. They will have a ball in Tokyo if they are into anime. There are anime cafes with all the staff dressed as anime and the street fashion is like nowhere on earth. Have them take lots of pics for you.

Edited by Trinket

OMG, Debbie, that is such great news!! :9 As Trinket said, I think his growth will catch up since now the water and tank issues have been resolved.

Now you can go on your vacation and relax a little bit and enjoy yourself!

Glad your tank is pretty well cycled. I'm still cycling mine, although its taking longer than I'd like. I guess I'm impatient, lol.

We both came on here several weeks ago with dying fish, and look at the differences! :yeah:

Be sure and post some pics of Smokey and Dot in their new home when you can. Can't wait to see them!

Edited by vickielm

Hi Everyone :)

Smokey is still doing well, and seems to be back to non-stop swimming. I haven't seen him on the bottom at all today. I fed them peas, and he dove at them to beat Dot. Still slightly bulgy, but... it's passing. (haha)

His poop is still tube-like though. Much more normal in size than it was... no longer the size of elbow pasta. :blink:

I was thinking of maybe cycling the new tank before I put them in it. With Smokey still on the road to recovery, I wondered if it would be better for him that way, instead of exposing him to a cycling tank? If I take the gravel from the current tank, that would help speed up the process, wouldn't it? (The lfs finally had the filter for the new tank on their shelf - so we picked that up today - but with travel preparations, it'll have to wait till we get back to start it up)

I'll have to get my "photograher" to get a good picture of Smokey's mouth, to be sure it's clear now. I couldn't see anything when I looked before, so a photo would be the best bet, I think.

Vickie, you'll get there soon enough. Things always feel like forever while you're doing them, but if I remember correctly, you were seeing some Nitrates - so that's a plus! It shouldn't be much longer now! :exactly You're fish are so pretty, and they have a lovely new home to live in! I'll be sure to post pictures of Smokey and Dot when they get in their new home, too!

Thank you all again, so much! You helped save Smokey, my Shubunkin goldfish! :thanks

Debbie

:hi Hey Debbie!

If I remember correctly, Trinket told me to rinse the gravel in tank water, not tap water because the tap water would kill the good bacs. You probably knew this already, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

I agree with you about cycling your tank before you put Smokey in it. While he is well on his way to recovery, he's still convalescing so you don't want to stress him out while he's not 100%. Moby was getting better when I moved them, but he wasn't nearly as ill as Smokey was...he was mostly just ammonia burned and on his way to being sicker. Smokey is such a cute little guy, and now he's your "miracle baby"! :D I had to put Moby and Florence in the tank while it cycled because I had no choice, as I live in a small place. I also needed the old filter so I would have 2 filters, and one with some BB from their old tank. Given a choice, I would have done it before I put them in there. They are doing very well, though its stressful on me to worry about them, lol! :linedrink

I'm glad to see that smokey is doing better! I hope he gets to 100% very soon!!

If I remember correctly, Trinket told me to rinse the gravel in tank water, not tap water because the tap water would kill the good bacs. You probably knew this already, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

Hi Vickie :hi

Yes, I knew to rinse the gravel in tank water, but it's good that you mentioned it. If other people read this thread, they may not know it - and learn something from it!

I agree with you about cycling your tank before you put Smokey in it. While he is well on his way to recovery, he's still convalescing so you don't want to stress him out while he's not 100%. Moby was getting better when I moved them, but he wasn't nearly as ill as Smokey was...he was mostly just ammonia burned and on his way to being sicker. Smokey is such a cute little guy, and now he's your "miracle baby"!

You know, I never thought of him as my miracle baby, but you're right. He looked like he was right on death's door, but he came back. :heart He's so fresh, he chases Dot more now than before!

My daughter adopted a kitten almost two months ago, and the rescue group she was adopted from called her a "miracle baby", too. The kitten survived panleukopenia when she was only 4 weeks old. Unfortunately, her 3 siblings didn't make it. She's a sweetheart. :D

I had to put Moby and Florence in the tank while it cycled because I had no choice, as I live in a small place. I also needed the old filter so I would have 2 filters, and one with some BB from their old tank. Given a choice, I would have done it before I put them in there. They are doing very well, though its stressful on me to worry about them, lol!

Well of course you worry about them! Now you see how fast they can get sick - with no warning! But you also know how to care for them better. We both do. :exactly

How is the cycling going? :goodluck

Debbie

I'm glad to see that smokey is doing better! I hope he gets to 100% very soon!!

Thank you grain! He's looking even better today. He has his "friskiness" back, and he's just adorable.

How is your fish doing? I haven't checked your thread in a couple days. I hope your fish is doing better, too! :exactly

Debbie

Well, tomorrow morning I'll be leaving until Saturday night. I did a 50% water change tonight, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well while I'm gone.

My daughter doesn't want to do water changes. I'm hoping that there's no big change in the water params. I've been doing water changes every other day - and my readings before the water change are still Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5 and pH 7.8. If they would be the same on Friday, then hopefully the params won't get too high by the time I get home on Saturday, and I can check the numbers and do a water change accordingly.

Take care, everyone! I'll see you in a few days. :)

Debbie