Help Save Smokey, My Shubunkin Goldfish!

Fishy Fish

A fish with pop eye has a distinct white donut around his eyes. My Oranda Sash got it and it went away with Maracyn & Maracyn 2. However, as Koko warned me about the possibility, it did turn into dropsy. I was able to cure him with Metro-med. Anyway here is a photo of a fish with pop eye. Is this what it looks like?

Yes Clout is very powerful and as a LFS owner said "very nasty stuff". It contains actual carcinogens(assuming long term exposure). I would not use it on my fishes. :no:

There are much safer medications available if he indeed has parasites.

Hi Jack,

Thank you for addressing his eye problem. It doesn't look quite like that, and it's both eyes. It looks like something is built up around them. I have some pictures from the front, where you can see that it looks like something growing around his eyes. The almost look like eyelids. His eyes used to be pretty flat - nothing like this:

Smokey's Eyes #1, Smokey's Eyes #2

If it IS pop eye, should I treat for it now? I hate to put it off until I get a larger tank. I honestly don't know when I'll be getting one. If it was up to just me, they'd already have one. I haven't been able to convince hubby that they truly need a bigger tank. He said that since Dot (the other Shubie) is fine, then it can't be the water or the tank size. I'm no fish expert, so I have no answers for him as to why Smokey is sick and she isn't. I was told that some fish are more sensitive than others to the problems of bad tank water, but my telling him that doesn't mean much.

On a positive note, Smokey ate for me again today. He fought it at first, again, but gave in eventually. Funny thing though, Dot realized that I was giving Smokey food, so she would charge at my fingers to try and steal it before I could get down to him - the little piglet. I had already fed her! :D

He seems like he's trying to swim, although it's quite a struggle for him. It's sad to see him struggling so much, but I'm happy that he has the energy to move!

Thank you for your advice on the medications. I'd be afraid to use Clout. I think he needs something mild that he can handle.

Debbie

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there's a garage sale advertised in the local paper here that has aquariums listed in the stuff it will have for sale tomorrow. I'm trying to get a hold of the people now and see if they will let me look at the tanks tonight. If not, I will be there bright and early tomorrow morning!!!

And $80 is a steal for the tank and stand you described. Also, I have cleaned tanks before in the shower with bleach and hot water, and rinsed with hot water and vinegar. I've also cleaned them outside and rinsed with the water hose. You're not going to put the fish in them immediately anyway, so any traces of vinegar should be taken out by the filters and naturally diminished before you add your fishies anyway, right?

Oh, and I don't know about fish having cat allergies, lol.

I have a 20 pound cat (see in my sig), and they don't seem to mind him, and he ignores them! :)

Hi Vickie,

Good luck finding a tank tomorrow! I hope you get a great deal!

Thank you for the tips on cleaning the tanks, I sure would like to get one soon. I don't know how long to wait before putting fish in a new tank. The tank kit that I have them in said to wait 24 - 48 hours. I only waited 24 because I felt I had to get them out of that 1 gallon fish bowl as soon as possible.

They're such good fish, and always got along so well together. I want them to be happy, healthy fish!

Wow! That's one big cat! My daughter adopted a 4 month old kitten a little over a month ago, and she's really tiny. She had PanLuek when she was 4 weeks old, and lost her siblings. We were told that she is fully recovered, and should live a full healthy life - she'll just be small. She's a tortoiseshell cat, and her name is Cameo. (but we call her Cammie) What type of cat is your's, and what's his name?

Debbie

That is not pop eye. Pop eye has the white donuts around the eyes which Smokey does not have. To me, Smokey's eyes do not look to be bulging but if you are saying that it was not like that before, it must be bulging.

I have this great book that I got which was recommended by Lolafish and I looked up the symptoms of eyes bulging.

Without quoting directly(as not to upset any copyright laws), it says that bulging eyes can be

1. Related to dropsy

2. Water accumulation in the body

3. Trauma to the eye. In this case, the swelling should go down in about a week.

To me, it sounds like #2 as I don't see any dropsy on Smokey, and this has been going on for more than a week, correct? Also if Smokey has water accumulation in his body, that might explain his bottom sitting also.

The books states to salt the tank to 0.3% concentration.

It also states that bulging eyes PLUS dropsy is terminal. Luckily, I don't see any raised scales on Smokey.

Edited by Jack of Hearts

What is that inside Smokey's mouth???

I'm not sure what you mean. He has always had black around his mouth, though, if that's what you're referring to...? Unless there IS something there, and I'm not seeing it? I don't know what the pink is, I just assumed it was natural.

If I'm wrong, what could it be? Thank you for pointing it out.

Debbie

I'm not sure what you mean. He has always had black around his mouth, though, if that's what you're referring to...? Unless there IS something there, and I'm not seeing it? I don't know what the pink is, I just assumed it was natural.

No not the black moustache....but inside his mouth, it looks like there's somthing in there....it could just be the photo playing tricks..... :unsure:

Well, there's a garage sale advertised in the local paper here that has aquariums listed in the stuff it will have for sale tomorrow. I'm trying to get a hold of the people now and see if they will let me look at the tanks tonight. If not, I will be there bright and early tomorrow morning!!!

And $80 is a steal for the tank and stand you described. Also, I have cleaned tanks before in the shower with bleach and hot water, and rinsed with hot water and vinegar. I've also cleaned them outside and rinsed with the water hose. You're not going to put the fish in them immediately anyway, so any traces of vinegar should be taken out by the filters and naturally diminished before you add your fishies anyway, right?

Oh, and I don't know about fish having cat allergies, lol.

I have a 20 pound cat (see in my sig), and they don't seem to mind him, and he ignores them! :)

Hi Vickie,

Good luck finding a tank tomorrow! I hope you get a great deal!

Thank you for the tips on cleaning the tanks, I sure would like to get one soon. I don't know how long to wait before putting fish in a new tank. The tank kit that I have them in said to wait 24 - 48 hours. I only waited 24 because I felt I had to get them out of that 1 gallon fish bowl as soon as possible.

They're such good fish, and always got along so well together. I want them to be happy, healthy fish!

Wow! That's one big cat! My daughter adopted a 4 month old kitten a little over a month ago, and she's really tiny. She had PanLuek when she was 4 weeks old, and lost her siblings. We were told that she is fully recovered, and should live a full healthy life - she'll just be small. She's a tortoiseshell cat, and her name is Cameo. (but we call her Cammie) What type of cat is your's, and what's his name?

Debbie

Well, I actually did luck out, as I posted on the Goldfish Tanks thread. I got a 30 gallon tank and stand for $40, actually it was $35 since I didn't want the huge bags of rocks and food they had with it! I had looked everywhere, and just happened to see this in a yard sale ad. I actually called the people the night before the sale started and asked them if I could come and look at them. Now comes setting it up right.

My cat's name is Rocky and he's a medium hair-solid white with one green eye and one blue eye. He's a sight, spoiled rotten.

I hope Smokey gets better. Its hard when your pets are sick because its kind of a guessing game, especially with fish since you don't know they're sick sometimes until they show symptoms. The people on here are really great with that. If I hadn't started posting here and asking questions, Moby probably would be gone by now. Everything they told me at the pet store was wrong.

Good luck, and keep posting so we know how Smokey is doing!

Vickie

Hi there Fishyfish,

I read through your post and I'm sorry about your fish :( . He doesn't look very happy at all. I have 3 things I'd like to add. As Blue pointed out your cycle probably crashed -zero nitrates- with the series of meds that you tried. Its easily done. The combination of meds and cycle crash would have been very hard on the fish.

About the eyes...you know what? I think you have a telescope eye shubunkin fish!!!Thos eyes are beautiful and need no medication IMHO. Very often the telescopes come in quite late .Your fish is still a baby and I think he is developing his telescope eyes now. Some of my telescope eye fry were very late developing their telescope eyes. They look the same!

Also as Jof H says- that last pic- it does look like something is in your fishes mouth preventing him from eating. I suggest you carefully lift Smokey to the surface of the tank, keeping him just under the water surface- all of him except his mouth or face. As the fishes face leaves the water the fish will automatically open his mouth as a reflex action and you can see what it is in there. Be very careful not to cover the gills too tightly as you do this. It looks like either some gravel or possibly it could be columnaris which is a cottony bacterial growth that grows in the mouth.

Of course it could just be the photo but I would have alook to be sure. Any obstruction would certainly make the fish unable to eat.

Hi there Fishyfish,

I read through your post and I'm sorry about your fish :( . He doesn't look very happy at all. I have 3 things I'd like to add. As Blue pointed out your cycle probably crashed -zero nitrates- with the series of meds that you tried. Its easily done. The combination of meds and cycle crash would have been very hard on the fish.

Hi Trinket,

Thank you for your information!

What do I do to fix a cycle crash? I tested the water yesterday, and ammonia, nitrites and nitrites were all zero, so I didn't do a water change. Was that a good idea - or a bad one? I haven't checked the water yet today, but will do that as soon as I finish this post.

About the eyes...you know what? I think you have a telescope eye shubunkin fish!!!Thos eyes are beautiful and need no medication IMHO. Very often the telescopes come in quite late .Your fish is still a baby and I think he is developing his telescope eyes now. Some of my telescope eye fry were very late developing their telescope eyes. They look the same!

If that's what his eyes are doing, then that is great! I was afraid he might be having trouble seeing with the growth around his eyes.

Also as Jof H says- that last pic- it does look like something is in your fishes mouth preventing him from eating. It looks like either some gravel or possibly it could be columnaris which is a cottony bacterial growth that grows in the mouth.

So what you're both seeing is white? The only gravel that I have ever had them in is blue.

You have brought up something that I didn't think much of at the time, though. A few months ago, I noticed that Smokey wasn't opening his mouth as much as Dot did. I had never really paid attention to their mouths before, and I thought it was just the way he was. After I did the Erythromycin treatment on the tank, his mouth was opening much bigger. A few days after the treatment, there was a few hours that his mouth seemed to be stuck open, but later it was fine. I had wondered if it was a piece of gravel, but I didn't see anything.

I suggest you carefully lift Smokey to the surface of the tank, keeping him just under the water surface- all of him except his mouth or face. As the fishes face leaves the water the fish will automatically open his mouth as a reflex action and you can see what it is in there. Be very careful not to cover the gills too tightly as you do this.

Of course it could just be the photo but I would have alook to be sure. Any obstruction would certainly make the fish unable to eat.

I'm going to have to wait until my daughter is here to do this. My eyes aren't what they used to be, so to see things clearly up close, I have to hold them further away. :blink: Between the two of us, we should be able to see what might be in there.

It's okay to hold him though? I had read once that you should never handle the fish because it could damage their slime coat or something. I suppose if you're looking for something that's more of a health hazard than damaging the slime coat, it's worth it, huh?

I'm sorry that I ask stupid questions. You'd think I'd know more about the fish by now after having them since January. :huh:

Debbie

Well, I actually did luck out, as I posted on the Goldfish Tanks thread. I got a 30 gallon tank and stand for $40, actually it was $35 since I didn't want the huge bags of rocks and food they had with it! I had looked everywhere, and just happened to see this in a yard sale ad. I actually called the people the night before the sale started and asked them if I could come and look at them. Now comes setting it up right.

Hi Vickie,

Wow!! What a bargain!! Congratulations! I'm sure you'll set it up fine, and your fish will be so happy! Good luck with it! Try and post some pictures when you have it up!

My cat's name is Rocky and he's a medium hair-solid white with one green eye and one blue eye. He's a sight, spoiled rotten.

He sounds beautiful! I love when eyes are different colors. It's so unique!

I hope Smokey gets better. Its hard when your pets are sick because its kind of a guessing game, especially with fish since you don't know they're sick sometimes until they show symptoms. The people on here are really great with that. If I hadn't started posting here and asking questions, Moby probably would be gone by now. Everything they told me at the pet store was wrong.

Good luck, and keep posting so we know how Smokey is doing!

Vickie

You're right about it being a guessing game. It seems that sick fish do the same thing - they bottom sit with fins clamped. When there's no outward signs of problems, who knows what it could be? So you try everything. And I wonder if a bacterial infection could come back after you've done a treatment - but you don't know it, and think it's something else. Or a parasite, too, for that matter.

Smokey is still scooting around the tank. I am SO glad that I decided to be more stubborn than him at feeding time.

This forum is really great. I wish I found it a few weeks sooner. Smokey might have been back to full health by now! I'm so glad that your Moby is better. There have been a few fish lost these past few days. It's so sad.

Thank you for your kindness. I truly appreciate it. I have seen you post on many other threads with well wishes, etc. You're a sweetheart. :)

Take care,

Debbie

I just tested the water. The ammonia, nitrites and nitrates levels are still 0. I didn't do a water change yesterday, so I expected there to be something today. Is this normal?

I was told that I should be doing daily partial water changes because of the tank size. I assumed it was because those levels would rise in the small tank.

Should I still do the daily partial changes? If so, how much? Or should I test each day (or twice a day) and wait to get a reading of some kind? I'm tempted to take a water sample to the pet store to see if they get the same numbers (or lack of) that I'm getting.

Looking through my testing records, the nitrates have been at 0 since August 28th.

What should I do?

Debbie

Hey Debbie,

You know, taking a water sample to the pet store might be a good idea if none of your levels are changing at all in a smaller tank. The pet store here used to do it for free, but they charge now if you're not a reg customer, which I am, lol. Hey Debbie, about your levels, I remember reading one of the mods posts about one of the levels probably never should read zero as it was unattainable. Not bad actually perfect, which is why she said it should be suspect...maybe nitrates? I'm not sure, but you might ask them about that.

I had to take a chance and go ahead and put Moby and Florence in the new tank. I needed the media from the old filter even though I had one, and I needed the water from the smaller tank. Hopefully, that will help the cycle. OMG, they are so happy!! They swim back and forth like they're on speed or something, roll in the water bubbles, chase each other! Its great!

The tank is a 30 gallon tall, and I've got 2 filters in it. The old smaller filter from the old tank and a huge filter that filters 40 gpm the lady told me. 1 long airstone and one small. No gravel, but some glass pebbles. I'll post a pic if I can figure out how.

I read that for the first 10 days I have to watch the ammonia levels carefully, after that, the nitrite levels, and then the nitrates come and it should be ok. I also salted the water per directions so I could help them a little with stress, but I'm telling you they don't act stressed right now, they act exstatic! To them, its like going from a coat closet to a football field!

I did notice that on Smokey's mouth after JofH brought it up. Its so small its no wonder you didn't see it, and I wouldn't have either! Maybe thats part of his problem?

I'm going to try and get a picture up, even though Moby still has a tad little black on him.

Edited by vickielm

Hey Debbie,

You know, taking a water sample to the pet store might be a good idea if none of your levels are changing at all in a smaller tank. The pet store here used to do it for free, but they charge now if you're not a reg customer, which I am, lol. Hey Debbie, about your levels, I remember reading one of the mods posts about one of the levels probably never should read zero as it was unattainable. Not bad actually perfect, which is why she said it should be suspect...maybe nitrates? I'm not sure, but you might ask them about that.

Hi Vickie,

The vvvv I go to will test for free. That's where I had it tested before I bought the kit.

From what I understand, Nitrates aren't supposed to be zero. I think it means the cycle has crashed. I was told to do 50% water changes daily, and I wonder if that was too much.

I had to take a chance and go ahead and put Moby and Florence in the new tank. I needed the media from the old filter even though I had one, and I needed the water from the smaller tank. Hopefully, that will help the cycle. OMG, they are so happy!! They swim back and forth like they're on speed or something, roll in the water bubbles, chase each other! Its great!

The tank is a 30 gallon tall, and I've got 2 filters in it. The old smaller filter from the old tank and a huge filter that filters 40 gpm the lady told me. 1 long airstone and one small. No gravel, but some glass pebbles. I'll post a pic if I can figure out how.

I can imagine how much they love the bigger tank! I remember how my fish swam like crazy when they got out of that 1 gallon fish bowl.

What a good idea, using the old tank water. I would think that that way, it's like a water change!

If you can't figure out how to post a pic on here, maybe you can do what I've done. I upload the picture on imageshack.us, then just put the link on here. :)

I read that for the first 10 days I have to watch the ammonia levels carefully, after that, the nitrite levels, and then the nitrates come and it should be ok. I also salted the water per directions so I could help them a little with stress, but I'm telling you they don't act stressed right now, they act exstatic! To them, its like going from a coat closet to a football field!

:exactly

I did notice that on Smokey's mouth after JofH brought it up. Its so small its no wonder you didn't see it, and I wouldn't have either! Maybe thats part of his problem?

It very well could be, but I still don't know what people are seeing in the picture. My daughter and I tried looking in his mouth, but we didn't see anything. We really don't know what we're looking for, either. His mouth is so small, I don't think either of us even saw in his mouth. I was so afraid of him jumping out, getting hurt, holding him too tight, etc.. I think he's mad at me now, because when I go over to the tank near him, he'll scoot away from me. :( First I "force feed" him, then I grab hold of him and stick his face out of the water. My poor fish!

I thought I'd try taking more pictures and see what might show up there, but the batteries were low, so I've got them recharging.

If I get any good shots inside his mouth, I'll put them up.

I'm going to try and get a picture up, even though Moby still has a tad little black on him.

Good luck with the picture! I'd love to see your fish and their new home! As for the black on Moby, it's just a battle scar. It'll heal. :)

Debbie

Well, no luck with new pictures of Smokey. He's still scurring away when I go near the tank. Trying to feed him tomorrow should be fun. Since he's been eating some, he'll have more energy to get away from me! :krazy:

I tested for Ammonia with a test strip that I had bought before I bought the Master Test kit, to see if it came up with something different than the test kit, but it was the same - zero. I'm going to do a water change tomorrow morning, regardless, because I don't want to take a chance on anything spiking.

I still can't make out what you have seen in Smokey's mouth. What color is it? Where is it, exactly?

The poor lil guy looks so unhappy all of the time. :ill

Debbie

I still can't make out what you have seen in Smokey's mouth. What color is it? Where is it, exactly?

Debbie, the white stuff we can see in the mouth is kinda around the roof of his mouth inside. Here, let me show you 2 pics of what a normal open mouth yawn in afish should look like. The first pic is one of member's fishcrazy's fish. The second is of one of my telescope eye fish in which you can see the telescope eyes I mentioned. I've put Smokey's pic beside sos you can compare easier.

Fishcraziesfish.jpg

OhnoCalyp.jpgfishfishesfish.jpg

There should be no obstruction in a fishes mouth. However if he was eating when you took this shot it could be food we are ssing. If he was not eating then this could well be columnaris. It is mistaken for fungus often but is infact bacterial and brought on by stress. It can have absolutely no other symptoms besides a cottony growth in the mouth that eventually destroys the mouth. Don't worry, if it is this it is actually very easy to cure with pristene water as you are doing (perks up the natural immunity) and if the fish will eat, medicated food. Unfortunately with internal (mouth only) columnaris, the fish has great difficulty eating but needs to eat! If you can get some medicated antibiotic food into him all the better. A fish owner should always have some antibiotic food to hand anyway.

Internal columnaris is much less contagious than the external kind, which would make sense why your other fish is fine. Also water added/waterborne meds are pretty much uselss with internal infection which would be why the other meds didn't work I'd say.

Anyway I'm so sorry handling the fish was stressful for you. I understand that. I have had to dislodge a stone from a fishes mouth an d it was very uncomfortable for me doing that too. Better instead then, to try and get a glimpse of the mouth again next time he yawns or does his fishy mouthing.

Debbie, it kind of looks like a little piece of cotton ball towards the top of his mouth, to me. But then again, as Trinket said, if you had just fed him it could be food. But if not, maybe thats why he won't eat. I haven't as yet had to hand feed one of my fish, but that doesn't mean I won't ever have to. I'd be very nervous about it, also, but you're doing the best you can to help him.

I hope Smokey gets better soon!

Hi Everyone!

Thank you so much for all of the information, ideas, suggestions, and your pictures, Trinket, helped me to see what you were all talking about. I went to vvvv this morning for Anti-bacterial food, and I got the water tested while I was there. The readings were almost the same that I had last night. Their pH reading was higher than mine, and that was the only difference.

She recommended that I get something called "Stability" - I believe - to put in the tank to help with the Nitrates. My husband said "Get it, if she said it'll help", so I did, but I haven't tried it. I would like all of your opinions on it first. I put the Stress Zyme in instead.

I gave the fish the medicated food, and they really didn't eat much of it. The pieces are so small, it was hard to get near Smokey's mouth with it, since he's still avoiding me. :(

I don't know if it's a good idea or not, but I find it easier to feed him mid water change. There's less water to deal with, and it isn't quite so clumsy. (Well, I'M not as clumsy)

So (this is the good part) - I'm trying to give him the food, and he starts SWIMMING away from me! Not shooting up off the bottom and "falling with style", but actually swimming!! Dot wouldn't leave his side, and everytime he'd go to bottom sit, she'd nudge him and make him swim again. They were even bumping each other around like they used to!! Oh my goodness... I was in tears, I was SOOO incredibly happy!! :happydance He swam for quite a good while. Not too steadily, but so much better than what he's been doing. His fins even looked better! The tail was still a bit droopy, though.

I'm worried, though, because he looked bloated again, like he did a few weeks ago. Maybe because he's been eating again? I don't know if he's blocked up or what - but that's what it looks like. I wondered if the bloating is what is giving him the buoyancy to swim around? He's "resting" now, and his back end is up slightly.

I'm ecstatically thrilled to see him swimming again, I just hope that the swimming isn't possible because of another problem?

I will try to get some pictures of him posted later. On the subject of pictures, I have a confession to make. I have my daughter take the pictures. I can't take a good picture to save my life. I think the best picture I've ever taken was of my thumb, and it was probably blurry. :blink: I tried taking some while he was swimming, but I'll let her take them off of the camera (it's her camera) and see if any of them are any good. I tried to get some shots of his belly, too. I'll try to get her to take some good ones, if he's still swimming later. (She's my 19 year old night owl - so she's napping at the moment)

Thank you again for all of your help, suggestions, and ideas. I'm going to go watch Smokey swim. I'll be back later! :D

Debbie

I forgot to ask another question in my previous post.

Should I try feeding Smokey some peas and see if he gets less bloated? Or not, since I just started him on the Anti-Bacterial food? Could the bloating could be from something else anyway?

That was more than one question.. Sorry!

Debbie

I forgot to ask another question in my previous post.

Should I try feeding Smokey some peas and see if he gets less bloated? Or not, since I just started him on the Anti-Bacterial food?

No ABSOLUTELY NOT. If you are feeding him antibac food like medigold, they should only eat the medicated food and nothing else. Also the medicated food should be used solely for a prescribed time. I don't know which one you are using but in the case of medigold, it is usually 14-30 days.

By feeding both antibac food and regular food, you are actually doing more harm than good as you will create super bacterias that are immune to the antibac food.

Hey Debbie,

Looks like we were both making the pet stores richer this morning, lol! I had to get a kit to test for the nitrites, another ammonia kit, and a bottle of Cycle. This sounds simlar to what you bought. Its by Nutrafin and its supposed to "release massive amounts of beneficial bacteria into the tank in order to reduce ammonia and nitrite levels". I said in another post that all of the stuff has cost more than the aquarium did, lol! But its worth it to get the tank set up right.

Good news about Smokey swimming around! :) Hopefully he's on his way to recovery. Its hard when your pets are ill and you don't know how to help them. At least a dog or a cat you can take to the vet. I don't think there are any fish vets in our area, but I know there IS a such thing.

Vickie

No ABSOLUTELY NOT. If you are feeding him antibac food like medigold, they should only eat the medicated food and nothing else. Also the medicated food should be used solely for a prescribed time. I don't know which one you are using but in the case of medigold, it is usually 14-30 days.

By feeding both antibac food and regular food, you are actually doing more harm than good as you will create super bacterias that are immune to the antibac food.

Hi JoH,

Okay - no peas and no other food. Got it. :) Thank you for the info.

I have Jungle Labs Anti-Bacterial food. I just grabbed the instruction card, and it says "Feed exclusively for 5 to 10 days as required.". Hmm.. I guess I didn't pay attention to that part when I read the directions. I just looked at it quick and remembered the basics of letting it float, and feed 1 or 2 times a day. Since my fish don't eat from the top of the tank, I was wondering how else to get them to eat it. I held it on the water so it would sink and they'd eat it.

He's still doing a lot of bottom sitting, but he's up and about now and then.

Just to clarify what I said earlier about his fins looking better. I meant that they aren't as clamped as they were. They'd been clamped for weeks. They weren't torn or anything.

Thank you for your help JoH. How is Jack, by the way? I hope he's doing good!

Debbie

Hey Debbie,

Looks like we were both making the pet stores richer this morning, lol! I had to get a kit to test for the nitrites, another ammonia kit, and a bottle of Cycle. This sounds simlar to what you bought. Its by Nutrafin and its supposed to "release massive amounts of beneficial bacteria into the tank in order to reduce ammonia and nitrite levels". I said in another post that all of the stuff has cost more than the aquarium did, lol! But its worth it to get the tank set up right.

I guess we need the pet stores, though, huh? Even if we make them rich. :) I think the girl there also pointed to Cycle, but she said she uses the Stability in her own tanks at home. You got a great bargain on your tank, so it wouldn't take much to spend more on the other stuff. ;)

Good news about Smokey swimming around! :) Hopefully he's on his way to recovery. Its hard when your pets are ill and you don't know how to help them. At least a dog or a cat you can take to the vet. I don't think there are any fish vets in our area, but I know there IS a such thing.

Vickie

Yes - it's great news that Smokey is swimming. I don't know who was happier to see him swimming again, me or Dot. :D I couldn't find any fish vets around here, either. I know they would probably be beyond my budget, but I looked anyway.

Hubby told me to go ahead and contact the person on Craig's List with the aquarium. They wrote back to me today, and said the tank is still available. I was excited until Hubby said "Well, you don't need to get back to them right away.". :( With Smokey acting a little better, it may be even harder to convince him that they need a bigger tank. I wouldn't have to do water changes so frequently with a bigger tank, right? So they cycle wouldn't crash and he'd be less stressed?

I'll keep my fingers crossed that they don't sell it soon.

Any pictures of your new aquarium yet?

Debbie

You need to do some super sweet talking to that hubby of yours! :heart

Yeah, I have 4 pictures, but can't put them up on this site yet. I am computer illiterate when it comes to pics, but the site says I can't post any till 101 posts for crying out loud. I'm sure they have their reasons, though. :cry1

Hey, if either of you 2 gals want me to upload pics for you in this thread I can do that :) ! Just send them to me at my e-mail address

imogene.5@hotmail.com

I'm happy to do that for you. Years ago (when I had less than 100 posts...er...now when was that :) ) a helper here did it for me.

The rule is there to stop spam and people just dropping in and advertising and so on.

Hey, if either of you 2 gals want me to upload pics for you in this thread I can do that :) ! Just send them to me at my e-mail address

imogene.5@hotmail.com

I'm happy to do that for you. Years ago (when I had less than 100 posts...er...now when was that :) ) a helper here did it for me.

The rule is there to stop spam and people just dropping in and advertising and so on.

Thank you Trinket, that's really nice of you! I may take you up on that!

My daughter got a good picture of Smokey's mouth, and it definitely looks like there's something in there. It's a cute picture with him up against the glass, so it looks like two Smokey's. :) None of the pictures I took yesterday were very good. (figures!) For now, I'll just put a link because I want to get it on here and see if you still agree that there's something there.

Link: Smokey's Mouth

My daughter took a video of the both of them though, and put it on YouTube. Dot was doing something really odd with her mouth. She had done it earlier, and did it again later on (after this video). I don't know if it's normal fish behavior or not, but I never noticed it before. You can also see the bloating on Smokey's side. (I hope - I know it's there, so I see it) He's not bloated so much on his left side, it's mostly on his right. Any ideas why? Could it be the bacterial infection?

Anyway - here's a link to the video :

I'm glad that he's swimming and pecking off the rocks. He can eat by himself now, I won't have to feed him. :)

I would appreciate any suggestions on what could be causing his bloating.

Thank you!

Debbie