Sign in to follow this  
Newfishmom

Severe Sbd

Hi everyone. I have two little fantails who has SEVERE SBD. I have done EVERYTHING under the sun and been dealing with it for almost 18 months. At this point, I honestly believe there is permanent damage. I feel horrible about it, too. My one fantail is almost ALWAYS completely upside down - she either bottom sits or lodges herself in one of the plants and hangs out all day. She comes out and swims around for meals and goes right back to her position. My other fantail really has it bad. I swear, it's like someone BLEW him up. At first, he was either stuck at the top or he had to lodge himself in a plant as well. Now, the last week or so, he is bottom sitting on his side. I am not sure how that happened because before he was so floaty he couldn't even touch the bottom.

My question is: Are they suffering? They seem miserable to me, but I honestly don't know. Do I euthanize? When is enough enough for these poor little guys? I don't want to euthanize them, I feel horrible about it, but I also feel that these little guys don't have any quality of life. Any input you guys give me will be greatly appreciated.

My heart goes out to you. This is SUCH a personal decision though. You sound like you have gone far beyond the call of duty. You have to decide within yourself does this fish have any "quality of life"? I had a fish that became that way & I tried everything I could but nothing helped. I decided he was in such bad shape it was best to end his suffering.

Also, and I hope this does not sound callous. This is a hobby that is meant to bring us enjoyment AND relaxation. There is no joy OR relaxation with a suffering fish.

Sometimes it IS best to just end that precious little life. And have your good memories of when he was healthy.

Edited by Jeana727

I agree with Jeana as it is a personal decision. I also agree with her as if it was my fish and I thought there was NOTHING else I could do to help, then I would let them go. I know it is sad, but it is also responsible. Being a responsible pet owner means letting a pet go if you think that they are suffering. My heart goes out to you! Good luck, whatever you decide to do! :(

Thanks you guys so much! My sweet little guy passed this a.m. I am so devastated. RIP sweet little Butter!

Am so sorry for your loss :( hope you feel better soon :hug

This article may help you if you experience SBD probs. The fish in my signature Blue had SBD and did well for a time.

http://www.geocities.com/swimbladderhelp/index.html

I'm sorry you lost the little guy. If he went on his own, then he answered your question for you. If you put him down, then you know he's not suffering anymore and you no longer have to worry about whether or not he is feeling pain. It's never easy to lose a little one.